× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear WNDR4500 performance speeds

sextonmt
Follower

Netgear WNDR4500 performance speeds

Looking for help with next step on what I should do.  I recently upgraded my Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (2012 vintage) to take advantage of the 1000mbs Xfinity Cable connection.  I upgraded to a NETGEAR - Nighthawk 32 x 8 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem CM1200.  Out of the modem directly to my computer I now see speedtest.net speeds of 700-800mbs.  So far so good.  I then connect my 2013 Router (NETGEAR Wireless Router - N900 Dual Band Gigabit (WNDR4500)) and connect computer to router and only see wired Speedtest.net speeds of about 150 mbs.  With older Motorola Surfboard (spec of 160mbs) I was seeing 130mbs out of same router so I am seeing some increase in wired speed, but not what I was expecting.  Wireless I am not seeing any improvement over older modem.  My wireless speedtest.net speeds range from 80mbs close to router down to around 20-30 at far end of house. I even upgraded the ethernet cable from the provided 3 foot Cat 5e to a 1 foot Cat 7 amd still no improvement.  I have upgraded Router to latest firmware (V1.0.1.46_1.0.76 ) and also rebooted several times in correct order (modem then Router).  I was kind of hoping to see near the 450 mbps wireless per spec of this older router.  My next steps I beieve are :

1. reboot to factory setting and try again (Is this worth a shot and effort needed to setup wireless networks again?)

2. Replace the 2013 Router with a new router (alsowhat would you suggest I pair the Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 with?  I am not a super user but would like long range into yard and support for 2-3 simulateous high bandwidth users).

3. Something I have not thought of trying?

Thanks in advance for you suggestions!

Model: WNDR4500v2|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear WNDR4500 performance speeds

Try the factory reset of the router. You should be able to get faster wired speeds out of that router. 

Wireless.....not so much. 

Wireless specs are very over inflated. You won't see the "450mbps" that you see it rated to per band. 

There's more reading you can do on over inflated wireless specs and what actual expectations are here: 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7