× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear WNDR4500 v3 router

Roadrunner53
Aspirant

Netgear WNDR4500 v3 router

I have a Netgear WNDR4500 v3 router, firmware version v1.0.0.56, and want to know whether I can load VPN software into it.

If adding VPN software to this router is possible, any recommendations as to the best VPN software for this router?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: Netgear WNDR4500 v3 router

@Roadrunner53 wrote:

I have a Netgear WNDR4500 v3 router, firmware version v1.0.0.56, and want to know whether I can load VPN software into it.

Are you talking about VPN firmware?

The WNDR4500 is an old router range (~2013) that was never that capable. Asking it to do clever tricks with VPNs is probably beyond something that old.

@Roadrunner53 wrote:

If adding VPN software to this router is possible, any recommendations as to the best VPN software for this router?

I'd start with finding a VPN and then looking for hardware that can support it.

It may require the VPN to provide tailored firmware. It can tell you which devices it supports.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
kloft422
Aspirant

When I log into my router, the lock at the beginning of the URL address line says that my connection is not secure. I just found an unknown device on my list of allowed devices. How can I secure my connection? I am running a VPN, so I don't understand how this happened. Please help!!

Message 2 of 5
Roadrunner53
Aspirant

Are you logging into your router using Netgear Genie? That software, which you can download to your computer from Netgear, will show you virtually everything you need to know about your router and its connections. If you are logging in a different way, my suggestion is to reboot your router. Also, make sure that you have the most current firmware available for your router.

Hope this helps!

Message 3 of 5

@kloft422 wrote:

When I log into my router, the lock at the beginning of the URL address line says that my connection is not secure. I just found an unknown device on my list of allowed devices. How can I secure my connection? I am running a VPN, so I don't understand how this happened. Please help!!

What has this got to do with the question from @Roadrunner53?

Please do not hijack questions about a completely different subject.

Start your own discussion.

Message 4 of 5

@Roadrunner53 wrote:

Are you talking about VPN firmware?

The WNDR4500 is an old router range (~2013) that was never that capable. Asking it to do clever tricks with VPNs is probably beyond something that old.

@Roadrunner53 wrote:

I'd start with finding a VPN and then looking for hardware that can support it.

It may require the VPN to provide tailored firmware. It can tell you which devices it supports.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7