× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear WNR2200 ReadyShare USB Storage not working

simonds1
Aspirant

Netgear WNR2200 ReadyShare USB Storage not working

I'm having trouble getting the ReadyShare USB storage working on my Netgear WNR2200 Router. If I reset the router to its factory settings using a paperclip and holding the reset button underneath, and then just connecting one computer to Ethernet Port 1, it works fine and I can access it by just typing "\\readyshare" in windows explorer. Unfortunately I can't leave the router with its factory settings as it is no good for my network, I have to turn the DHCP off because it's the 3rd router on my network. The router itself works beautifully when I do that, all of the computers connected to it have a working internet connection and can also connect to each other for file sharing etc......but the readyshare storage stops working. It's just as if it isn't there.

So I was trying to experiment at what point it actually stopped working, so I reset the router to its factory settings and started over again. Connected the first computer to Ethernet Port 1 and it worked fine as before. Went into the router settings and turned the DHCP off and it also still worked fine. It's only when I actually connect the router to the other routers that the ReadyShare USB storage stops working. So that's when it gets assigned an IP address from my main router which is the DHCP I'm guessing? I don't know why that's upsetting it though? I've checked it's on the same workgroup (a setting which I didn't initially notice) but that also made no difference.

Does anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm guessing it's just configured wrong and it's probably something really simple but I just can't see it. Any help would be hugely appreciated, thankyou!

Simon

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Changing the LAN IP is setting an IP address on the WNR2200 to be in the same range of the main router.

You'll be able to change this under LAN Setup.

The steps would be:

1. Have a computer just be directly to the WNR2200 and nothing else.

2. Access the admin page of the router.

3. Change the LAN IP to a unique IP address such as 10.0.0.200 or an IP that is not used in the network.

4. Disable DHCP.

5. After the settings are saved, connect the main router to one of the LAN ports on the WNR2200.

From there, you should be able to access the USB.

Let me know what happens.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @simonds1

Have you tried using the IP address (\\192.168.1.1)?

Message 2 of 7
simonds1
Aspirant

Hi @ElaineM, thanks for your response 🙂

Sorry, I should have explained our setup a little bit better - The main router's IP address is 10.0.0.1. I can't actually remember the reason our network was setup like that now, but it has been like it for years so I've always left it. When I initially plug the Netgear WNR2200 into one of the other routers with it's factory defaults, it has an IP address starting with 192.168.... so it will only network with the computers plugged into that same router, none of the others. So I then turn off the DHCP and all of the computers connected to it get an IP address starting 10.0.0... and can communicate with all the others then.

I did think of maybe trying to give it a static IP address starting with 10.0.0.... and then leave the DHCP turned on? I haven't tried that yet though, as I wasn't sure if it was a good idea having two different DHCPs on the same network?

I hope that helps explain the problem a bit better. Thanks again for your help 🙂

Simon

Message 3 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@simonds1 Thanks for the clarification. I apologize for I overlook that the DHCP is turned off. The Readyshare will work as long as there's DHCP running on the network.

One thing you may do is to change first the LAN IP to 10.0.0.x, disable the DHCP and then connect the cable from main router to one of the LAN ports on the WNR2200.

Make sure that there is no cable connected on the Internet port of the WNR2200 when you save these changes.

Message 4 of 7
simonds1
Aspirant

Hi @ElaineM, sorry for such a late reply to your suggestion.

Can I just clarify what you mean by changing the LAN IP address? Is that a setting on the Netgear WNR2200 do you mean? And does that then mean that I'm giving it a static IP address and I therefore have to reserve it in the settings on my main router?

Also, thankyou for the clarification that I shouldn't be using the 'internet' port on the WNR2200. I had been connecting to my other routers using Ethernet Port 1.

Thanks again for your help on this so far.

Simon

Message 5 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Changing the LAN IP is setting an IP address on the WNR2200 to be in the same range of the main router.

You'll be able to change this under LAN Setup.

The steps would be:

1. Have a computer just be directly to the WNR2200 and nothing else.

2. Access the admin page of the router.

3. Change the LAN IP to a unique IP address such as 10.0.0.200 or an IP that is not used in the network.

4. Disable DHCP.

5. After the settings are saved, connect the main router to one of the LAN ports on the WNR2200.

From there, you should be able to access the USB.

Let me know what happens.

Message 6 of 7
simonds1
Aspirant

Hi @ElaineM, that has worked absolutely perfectly, thankyou so much for all your help on this 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7