Re: Netgear for dummy, me

azda68
Follower

Netgear for dummy, me

Hi, new to the forum and generally new to wifi.

I have a few questions, so if these are relatively simple answers for you then excuse me, i'm a novice.

When setting up my router (WTG624v3) 108Mbps i was given the address of routerlogin.net to go to router settings. Now when i go there it just directs me to the netgear website and i can't find the router login page, has it changed?

2nd question is, if i want to view who's been or who is perhaps using my router (it is passworded) how do i view this. Routers and passwords are'nt infallable, so i just want to learn how to check these things.

Any help will be appreciated, but go easy with the jargon as i'm pretty wet behind the ears at this.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 10
WesKing
Aspirant

I dont think you can find that out?? It's like knowing who all can see your wireless signal, right? Anyone in range can see your wireless signal.....just not connect unless they have the password I think?
Message 2 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

When setting up my router (WTG624v3) 108Mbps i was given the address of routerlogin.net to go to router settings. Now when i go there it just directs me to the netgear website and i can't find the router login page, has it changed?

this usually happens when you have broadband and router in double nat configuration .

2nd question is, if i want to view who's been or who is perhaps using my router (it is passworded) how do i view this. Routers and passwords are'nt infallable, so i just want to learn how to check these things.

you can only see "attach devices' in the router get info or google ip scanner to inventory the network
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 10
chris01
Aspirant

Hey Im new aswell...I have the same problem...whenever I try to go to routerloging.com it redirects me to some other website...can som1 help me please?
Message 4 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Try by the ip if the router . See bottom of the router
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 10
fordem
Mentor

azda68 wrote:
Hi, new to the forum and generally new to wifi.

I have a few questions, so if these are relatively simple answers for you then excuse me, i'm a novice.

Let's consider "routerlogin.net" to be an unreliable convenience provided by Netgear and forget about it - I'll give you a much more reliable way to get to the router login page.

Assuming you're running Windows - open a command prompt (go Start, Run & enter CMD and hit return), when you get the black command prompt window, enter ipconfig and hit return - look for the default gateway address and enter that in your browser, and it will take you to the router's login page.

Any help will be appreciated, but go easy with the jargon as i'm pretty wet behind the ears at this.

Thanks.

There is no 100% reliable way to determine who is or has been connected to your network - the router should have an attached devices page that you can check, but it's not going to be reliable - you can also use different utilities like the ip scanner that JMIZOGUCHI has suggested, but again, even those are not reliable - they will tell you who is there, but not who was there.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 6 of 10
Joe_
Apprentice

azda68 wrote:
...and generally new to wifi.

chris01 wrote:
Hey Im new aswell...I have the same problem...

To both of you I'll say this:

1. Whenever you get any new piece of equipment, it normally comes with some instructions - read it - that's what it was provided for. This applies to any equipment - not just your router.

2. If the packaged instructions are not detailed enough - go to the manufacturer's website and download whatever manuals there are. In this case go to Netgear website at support.netgear.com

3. While on the website, take the opportunity to browse FAQs, KB articles and/or any other documentation that may be of interest.

4. With the Manuals saved to your PC you can study them at your leisure. Most common questions that arise are normally either in the manual or FAQs.

5. If you still have unanswered questions:
- Browse the forum for the device.
- Ensure you visit the correct forum.
- Ensure you read and follow the forum rules.
- Search for answers in what people have already posted.

6. Do some google searches. Most times you will find many posts all over the internet describing the same problem you have. Some of these may lead you to the answer you are seeking.

7. If you still fail to find an answer, join the forum and post your issue. Try to:
- describe your issue as clearly as possible. Muddled descriptions can lead to all sorts of misunderstandings,
- provide the model number of the device,
- the model number of any peripheral equipment (e.g. modem) connected or related to the problem,
- the version software and/or firmware on each device involved,
- any other info you think may be helpful in diagnosing the issue - don't make others who are trying to assist you, have to draw it out of you. Volunteering info upfront could save time, mis-diagnosing, misunderstanding, and much more.

8. Don't limit yourself in searching for an answer. Try to view the issue logically and with an open mind. Approach the issue in different ways.

The above is not exhaustive. Also, I'm not trying to be patronizing. Too often, there is evidence suggesting that people don't refer to things like manuals or FAQs when it's provided for just that purpose.

I hope that providing this guide (all in good faith) will help you to learn to help yourself and become more resourceful all 'round. 🙂
Message 7 of 10
Joe_
Apprentice

azda68 wrote:

Just to add to what June and fordem have said, you can also look at the router's logs ('though it'll be mostly "after-the-fact"). 😉
Message 8 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Doesn't matter how you look at at. You will not repectively catch what is attach with what router can function as is. Limited function so one's must continue to checking by "attach devices" or ip scanner and compare the inventory of what devices should be connected on this LAN
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 10
Joe_
Apprentice

I know we've mentioned it elsewhere, but again, this is why it's important to create an inventoried list of all your devices' MAC addresses on your network. This comes in useful for identifying valid devices when you only have the MAC addresses to go on.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E