× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear orbi RBS50 loses ethernet connection

nicolinden
Aspirant

Netgear orbi RBS50 loses ethernet connection

I have been using the Netgear Orbi for about 2 years now and untill now I was happy with it but now I am experiencing issues with the satellite connections... 

I recently moved to a newly build house, so I decided to create network connections in each room, my internet modem (ziggo) is set to Bridge mode and the network cable goes directly into my RBR50 router, besides this connection from my modem I also use two more ports of this router. One goes to my Philips hue bridge and the other to my Gigabit 8 ports switch, all network cables (from all rooms) connect to a 8 port patch panel and I have cables patched on the gigabit switch to create a network. I use a few LAN IP address reservations and a port forwarding to one specific computer on my network for VPN connections. 

In the room where my satellite is located I tested the ethernet connection on my laptop and that seems to work fine. When I connect my satellite to the ethernet connection it also shows in the orbi maintenance as a wired connection but now and then it just seems to loose the ethernet connection and then it shows as a 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz wireless connection and I loose my internet connection. Since the wifi connection is still strong all my devices near the satellite still connects to this satellite but just do not have internet access anymore. Restarting the device sometimes helps but not always. 

I never had this issue before and another satellite in my house does not seem to have issues with a wired connection. I like to troubleshoot what happens but I have no idea if I can access some log or troubleshoot tools for just the satellite?

Is there anyone who experienced these weird wired connection issues as well and does anyone have an suggestion for what I can try because now my orbi is the cause of an unstable network connection while I bought it for the opposite 🙂 

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear orbi RBS50 loses ethernet connection

What actual switch is it? 

we've seen issues with some of the green switches and orbi. 

If you take the switch out of the equation, does the satellite still drop? 

that's where I'd start checking

Message 2 of 6
nicolinden
Aspirant

Thanks for your anwer!

I had a look but the switch is from netgear as well so I assume they should work together and I used this switch in my previous home as well. I attached a photo of my switch setup where the red cable on the right comes from my Orbi Router and (in case you want to know) the black cable in the middle goes to the room where my failing satellite is located.

The only difference in setup from my old house is that I did not use my Orbi as a real switch in my office room, I connected my network cable there to another switch and from there to my Orbi satellite (and other devices). But since I only need 3 devices in my office room on my new house, I thought to use the extra ports of the Orbi instead but that should be possible right (it does sound like 'overheating' since the issue occurs most of the time at the end of the day)?

Anyway, for now I switched my other satellite to my office room to see if that one is experiencing the same problem, I'll send an update if I have one. If this satellite has the issue as well then I will indeed try to look at my switch setup. Any other suggestions (or other people having the same issue) in meantime are welcome ofcourse. 

By the way, my firmware of my router is "V2.7.2.104".

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

So it sounds like you're checking the switch. 

The only other thing to try is to disable daylight savings time and the traffic monitor and reboot. Some people had issues on the .104 firmware with those 2 features enabled. 

Message 4 of 6
nicolinden
Aspirant

Thanks, I'll send an update when I know more. The other satellite did not reproduce the same issue yet though so it could be related to the ethernet ports of the other satellite as well.

Message 5 of 6
nicolinden
Aspirant

I found out that my ethernet wall socket had two malfunctioning cables, so I fixed those and will test the stability of the network again and come back to this. However, I am no network expert but is it possible that you have a working network with two failing cables (I believe orange/white and green/white) and is it possible that the orbi or any other switch could get issues later on the day after processing a lot of data?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7