Netgear throttling Internet speed no matter WHAT I do...

latheofheaven
Novice

Netgear throttling Internet speed no matter WHAT I do...

Hello!

I just signed up although I've had this router now for about a year and a half.

It is SO weird. Everything seems to go along fine and my DL speeds are wonderful for what seems like months at a time and then suddenly in the last few days my DL speeds dropped from the 20 m/sec that they have been all along to about 1/3 of that. I tried rebooting both my cable modem and my router to no avail.

So, I finally called my provider and they ran me through some tests; and strangely, ONLY when I bypassed the router did my speeds go back up to what they are supposed to be. The person helping me suggested that I change the 'Channel' on the router that I am using and also the 'Bandwidth', but I couldn't see how to do the bandwidth.

So, I re-connected it and have tried just about EVERY dang channel on both the 2.4 and the 5 Ghz bands and NOTHING brings the speed back up to any where NEAR what it is supposed to be. So, I've disconnected the router again.

Just so you know, my main PC is WIRED from the router; I only have the router because my Dad uses the wireless part for his Nexus and Acer tablets. But, this is happening even when he is not using either of them. I am referring to my PC speeds through the WIRED connection of the router. I mean, the cable goes directly into the modem, and the modem is plugged directly into the router, and my PC is plugged directly in the router, so what the heck...???!! I'm not even talking about the wireless part of it, just I guess the basic SWITCHING part where it is supposedly just directly connecting my modem directly to my PC.

I do speedtest after speedtest and no matter HOW I play around with the settings, nothing works 😞

Also, I have the security set and no other outside devices have access to the router network.

Please, any suggestions as to what I can do?

Thank you!
Message 1 of 21
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear throttling Internet speed no matter WHAT I do...

One possibility is that the Ethernet connection from the router to the modem is negotiation to 10Mbps either Full or Half Duplex. In the router admin pages look for ‘Router Status’ then ‘Show Statistics’, what do you see for the status of the WAN port, and the LAN port to which the computer is connected?
latheofheaven
Novice

Thanks kindly Andy. I will check that and see. BTW, Babylon 5 was one of THE frigg'n GREATEST Sci Fi shows ever!!! :D I have the entire series on DVD and I am REALLY looking forward to having in in HD if they ever release it! Cheers!
Message 3 of 21
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

latheofheaven wrote:
BTW, Babylon 5 was one of THE frigg'n GREATEST Sci Fi shows ever!!! 😄
I recently created my new forum ID (previously Mars Mug), and I was quite surprised to see that Babylon5 had not been taken. I never managed to watch all seasons of the program, and am planning to buy a box set after Christmas.
latheofheaven
Novice

Wow, you haven't even bloody SEEN the whole thing and you chose that ID :) Good for you mate! Ah, if you are a TRUE Science Fiction enthusiast, and you really appreciate a nice complex story woven with many intriguing threads, then you will very much enjoy it! We're not talking STAR WARS here where you have the good guys beating the bad guys and saving the princess (not that there's anything wrong with that, per se) but here, you have REAL depth, especially in the characters, some more than others, and just ONE of the intriguing things about the show is the fascinating changes that take place with some of the characters and how some of their choices to further their agendas really shape them into different people. But, WAY beyond that, there are some pretty sharp, clever story arcs that blend the space / time continuum (But NOT in the heavy handed way STAR TREK has usually done it - meaning all the old series, etc.) but the way Straczinski constructed the ENTIRE 5 year story arc BEFORE filming was ever started is to me anyway one of the most engrossing science fiction stories I've ever seen (the new 'BATTLESTAR GALACTICA' was very similar, perhaps even a bit deeper and grittier than B-5 - they went for more 'Realism' in that show) Anyway, sorry to go on, but when you have a chance to see it all, you should really like it! BTW... the reason why I actually came here... It seems that MAYBE my cable modem wasn't functioning right, so I'm trying an updated one. It might not have anything to do with the router at all, I don't know yet... Cheers!
Message 5 of 21
jlewter
Guide

When I see post like this my first reaction is Test Test Test Test.

ISP staff will sometimes ask you to test, then again, and again, and when you see a good result they say "See, There is the fault".. In Reality the problem can often be that Cable networks are just congested or the signal is bad.

The fact that your wired and staff are asking you to change WiFi channels points to me that you spoke to someone who has no real understanding of how things work.

On the old menus you could check link rate (What your Router is connecting to the MODEM at)..
You would normally log into the page, click router status and then connection statistics (I think) and a window pops up showing the link rate for all connected things.
On the newer menus you can find it after logging in, clicking advanced, and then clicking "show statistics" in the internet port box.

Changing your computer from the Router to the Modem will likely also mean that your IP changes, that is, the actual IP you get on the internet. While this is not an issue that causes trouble it can mean that some things behave in a different way. To get the best result when swapping the router out for a direct pc connection, you should "Clone" the MAC of the device your putting into the Modem. That way you'll get the same IP and it will help remove false-positives.

Can you run the speed test several times and make sure that the results are consistent.. If they are moving all over the place then I would look straight at my ISP connection.. Also try to test everything around the same time... So TestTestTest, Swap, then TestTestTest..

Do not go to Z'ha'dum!
Message 6 of 21
latheofheaven
Novice

jlewter, Yes, you are quite right of course! (About Z'ha'dum too! 🙂 ) I was running speed tests until my fingers fell off. But, I believe you are correct and it was either the older modem or the ISP. Interesting suggestion about cloning the IP address. Thanks so much for the excellent and helpful suggestions! Cheers!
Message 7 of 21

I have a related issue ...........

I'm using my PR2000 as a range extender and when connecting to the LAN-only (yellow)  port with my laptop I get speeds of ~10Mb,

however when I connect via wifi speeds are only about 0.5 to 1.5Mb ...

I have tested the wifi speed across two laptops and an iPhone and all three are slow via wifi, so I know it is not the receving computer that is the issue

I am using channel 11 on the PR2000 and the pull-down menu is gray-ed out so I am not able to try using a different broadcast channel....

I have latest firmware in the device  xxx.14

Thoughts?

Message 8 of 21
TheEther
Guru

The extender will latch onto the channel used by the router.  Go to the router and change the channel.

Message 9 of 21

Thanks - will try a different channel on main router and report back!

Message 10 of 21

Router was on channel 11

I tried both channels 01 and 06 ... which as I understand it are the "non-overlapping" channels ...

but neither channel improved things   😕

Message 11 of 21
TheEther
Guru

How far away is the extender from the router, and are there thick walls in the way?

Try moving the extender to the same room as the router. The idea is to measure the maximum speed achievable under ideal conditions.
Message 12 of 21

Thanks

- There are no thick walls in the way, and the wired connection and the PR2000 are in the same room of the house - thus the dramatically lower throughput of the wifi connection puzzles me.....

Message 13 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you try to factory reset after firmware upgrade?

Make sure that there are no other devices that may interfere with the signal.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 14 of 21

Thanks Elaine!

I have done a site survey and picked a channel that has least interference ....

I have NOT done a factory/hard reset as I did not think it was required ... I'll do that ASAP - thanks!

Message 15 of 21

Elaine:

I finally got trime to try the hard reset today ..............

It did not change the situation.

I have been using the www.speedof.me  website and the wired connection will "peak" at about 9mbps and usually give an average of about 7mbps d/l speed - WIRED

while with wifi connection it will peak at only 2.5Mbps or so and give an average of less than 1Mbps/sec.

have swapped channels around to no advantage.

Message 16 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@rustygearhead I apologize for the late response. Let me forward this to our engineering department. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 17 of 21

No problem on the delay, THANKS for your help!

It is good to know that the unit is apparently "working as designed" ...

but If there is one that does not suffer the loss of thruput I'll give this one to my college-age son and get an upgrade for myself   😉

Message 18 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@rustgearhead You're welcome. Our support team is in contact with you to further diagnose on this. 

Feel free to reply at your earliest convenience.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 19 of 21

Thanks Elane!

I'm working with them today!

Jim

Message 20 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Keep us updated.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E