× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear won' respond to used Netgear 39

fb33
Aspirant

Netgear won' respond to used Netgear 39

Does anyone know any secrets how to get Netgear to respond? I bought a used modem/router on Amazon to my new internet service.  I'm trying to re-register it so they send me a username and password. Can't complete set up without that. They sent me an auto reply to send them a photo of the serial number and receit of purchase. I have done so numerous times, days have gone by and no response. So here I am, paying for internet service that I can't use because the modem, my Netgear 39, isn't functional, until they re-register register. What to do? Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: Netgear won' respond to used Netgear 39

a) There is no Netgear39 - this might be just a random generated wireless SSID network name. What router, modem-router, or modem model we're facing here? Convinced there is a label, typically located on the bottom of the unit, sometimes on a fancy slide-out label.

b) No Netgear router, modem-router, or modem must be registered to work. Re-registering to a second hand user is sometimes done by the moderators here in the community as a courtesy service. 

c) Netgear products come with 90 days of complimentary technical support to the original buyer only, not for second hand owners.

Message 2 of 7
fb33
Aspirant

O.k. so I got this off of my page on Amazon. It's a Netgear AC1600 Wi-Fi VDSL/ADSL modem. I tried getting online with it but the Netgear genie threw up a screen wanting a username and password. It does detect a Pppos DSL Internet connection. A tech type person, says it is not the default password that came with the unit. I talked to Century Link, the internet service provider, and they told me I have do something with Netgear in order to get the username and password. But Netgear is no help at all. Thank you for responding to my post.

Message 3 of 7
antinode
Guru

> O.k. so I got this off of my page on Amazon. It's a Netgear AC1600
> Wi-Fi VDSL/ADSL modem. [...]

Here's a better idea: Look for "Model" on the product label.  On the
product.  When you have that datum in hand, visit
http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look for
Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for a topic like
"Types of Logins".

> [...] I talked to Century Link, the internet service provider, and
> they told me I have do something with Netgear in order to get the
> username and password. But Netgear is no help at all. [...]

Any PPPoE credentials are set by your ISP (CenturyLink), not by
Netgear.  There are other user names and SSIDs and passwords on the
product label, but your PPPoE credentials are a matter between you and
your ISP.

Talk to CenturyLink again, and tell them that you want the PPPoE
credentials for your account.

Message 4 of 7
fb33
Aspirant

O.k. I'll try that. Thank you for your help.

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Consulting the Quick Start Guide like NETGEAR AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Model D6400 Quick Start Guide or again the product label on the device (convinded the default username and password is printed there) would help to start with.

Message 6 of 7
antinode
Guru

> Consulting the Quick Start Guide [...] would help to start with.

This must be some new meaning for "help".  There are no "default"
PPPoE credentials, on the label or anyplace else.  Unless the ISP
provides some.  And, in my experience, CenturyLink (Qwest, U.S. West,
...) uses only custom, per-user PPPoE credentials.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7