• 43 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Network Map Issue on Mobile Device

I have a Netgear WNDR4300, with updated firmware. The Netgear Genie app works fine on my desktop and laptops..

However, on my mobile devices (Iphones 4 and 5's and an Ipad) the network map function Genie App fails, all other functions (turbo transfer, media, etc) work fine. The Network Map function only shows my mobile device, the router and then the internet. It does not show all the other connected devices. It also shows a network authentication error.

I have tried changing the password, changing the channels, etc.. it doesnt resolve the issue. I have contacted tech support who escalated the issue to the 2nd level expert. They tried to assist by making changes to the password, channel, etc which did not resolve the issue. They were unable to duplicate the issue in their lab so they thought it was the router which they replaced (I had to pay for shipping to and from Smiley Sad). After receiving the new replacement router, it the problem is still unresolved.

One more thing.. I went to my friends house who has a Netgear router (not sure of the mode) and the all functions of the app work fine.

Any suggestions??
Message 1 of 44
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Network Map Issue on Mobile Device

I'm having the same problem as you. Net gear support has been no help, they tried everything they did with you and nothing work. I would sure like to find a solution to this problem. The app worked fine till the firmware upgrade.:mad:
Message 2 of 44
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Please use quote as per posted here
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=56313
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 44
Highlighted
Aspirant

as bad as this may sound, I am glad to hear that someone else is having the same problem because they made it sound as though I am the only one so far.

Like you, everything worked great prior to the last update. I think the app and the firmware were updated about the same time so I dont know which caused the error.
Message 4 of 44
Highlighted
Aspirant

Back to the original question...

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve this??
Message 5 of 44
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Genie App?
Message 6 of 44
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app.. doesnt work.
Message 7 of 44
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I would suggest you contact support team for you to be assisted.

Message 8 of 44
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion.

As was noted in my original post, I contacted them and it even got escalated to level 2. They were unable to resolve. The last thing they advised was that it was due to my environment and suggested that I move the router to a new location.

I know the location is not the issue, since everything worked fine till the last firmware and/or app update.
Message 9 of 44
Highlighted
Virtuoso

try revert the firmware the router to prior if that helps.

Otherwise unless you have to work with support. IOS app are automatically updates (per settings) or manual. Either way you will not able to revert the IOS app once updated
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 44
Highlighted
Aspirant

how do I revert back to the previous firmware on the router?
Message 11 of 44
Highlighted
Virtuoso

download the firmware and upload via router gui

support.netgear.com
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 12 of 44
Highlighted
Aspirant

I know where to find the previous firmware versions (http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/) however, it wont let me install a previous version. Since NetGear sent me a new router, it looks like it came with the new firmware and it wont let me install the previous versions. I even did a factory reset which still has the most current version
Message 13 of 44
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Factory reset will do NOTHING for you on firmware. It will ONLY bring up version of firmware is already on it.

3400 has few V# model. Are you sure you download the right one? I'm not certain if you can flash version before the original firmware that is shipped.

You may able do with TFTP method to load the firmware
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 14 of 44
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Have you encountered the same problem with the replacement unit?
Message 15 of 44
Highlighted
Aspirant

yes..the same issues exist with the replacement router.
Message 16 of 44
Highlighted
Virtuoso

For clarification, it only happened after you updated the firmware of the router? or after you have updated the mobile app?
Message 17 of 44
Highlighted
Aspirant

I dont recall exactly if it occured after the router firmware update or the app update since they were about the same time. I believe it was after the firmware but am not 100% sure
Message 18 of 44
Highlighted
Virtuoso

You can only identify if its the app if you connect it to a different Netgear router. By the way are connected to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?
Message 19 of 44
Highlighted
Aspirant

2.4, altho it should show anything connected on either
Message 20 of 44
Highlighted
Aspirant

I was finally able to rollback the firmware to the previous version (1.0.1.42) which resolved the issue. Now all the functions work on my IOS device... FINALLY!!!!!
Message 21 of 44
Highlighted
Aspirant

Glad you resolved your issue, but I find it totally unacceptable that Netgear hasn't resolved this issue.
Message 22 of 44
Highlighted
Aspirant

now that I rolled the firmware version back, my desktop wont show the devices connected. It always shows as "scanning." But my mobile device works fine... I guess its either one or the other...:confused: GEEZ!!!!
Message 23 of 44
Highlighted
Aspirant

I has the same problem with my router WNDR4300. :mad:
I sent e-mail by NETGEAR support and will be send feedback to the appropriate department so the issue can be duplicate.
For me this fuction is very important for me.
Then I did downgrade Firmware for version 1.0.1.42 and this function worked again. I think F/W version 1.0.1.60 has any bugs about this function.
Waiting NETGEAR soluction!!
Message 24 of 44
Highlighted
Aspirant

EDIT BY SHADOWLORE - I have removed the name of the developer here, but I can confirm this is legit. I have emailed the developer of the genie app for android and they have told me to download and flash the firmware v1.0.1.64 which is found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/96ckra8fsxfmdaw/WNDR4300-V1.0.1.64-for-genie-20140613.img Here is the whole conversation:
Me: Hello, I am having problems seeing devices on the Genie android app. My router firmware version is v1.0.1.60 but you have suggested (in the app comments in the play store) to download firmware v1.0.1.64. This is what you replied to me: This is a bug in WNDR4300 firmware. You can try this firmware, it should fix the issue: https://www.dropbox.com/s/96ckra8fsxfmdaw/WNDR4300-V1.0.1.64-for-genie-20140613.img Thank you. Now, I have done some of my own research and found out that this firmware is for China & Russia only. I do not want to flash this firmware because it can potentially brick my router. Please release an "All regions" firmware version so I can take care of this bug. Thank you! Netgear Developer: Hi, The dropbox link has a different 1.0.1.64 firmware than the China/Russia version on the web site, so there should be no concern to update your router to this firmware. Thank you. DEVELOPER Me: Hello, Thank you very much for your fast and prompt reply! Is there a chance that this file is also available on the official Netgear website? If so, please let me know and if not, maybe you can contact someone who can add it? (Idea) I'm sure others would appreciate the new firmware upgrade. Once again, thank you for your reassurance, I will be flashing this firmware over an Ethernet connection. Have a good day! Netgear Developer: It’s in the QA pipeline, so it will be released, but not in the next several days giving a few other tasks QA are currently working on. Thank you. DEVELOPER
Message 25 of 44