Highlighted
Aspirant

Network design/router login issues

Currently have a Arris TG862G supplied by Comcast for voice and data services. This is hardwired to a NETGEAR WNDR4500 which has a NETGEAR GS608v3 switch attached for additional hardwired ports along with a just installed WNDR3400v3 hardwired from the WNDR4500 to another location to provide additional wireless and hardwired connectivity. Problem is I can not manage the WNDR3400 via my LAN using its re-configured IP address. I can only manage if PC is hardwired or wifi connected directly to the WNDR3400. (No issue connecting to the WNDR4500) The WNDR3400 replaced a Belkin N1 router which is DOA. Never has an issue managing the Belkin router via my LAN. IP address of the new NETGEAR was changed to match old Belkin router. NETGEAR Tech support so far has been clueless. Would not think that I need to turn on remote support for router within my own LAN. Do I need to reconfigure network and go from Arrris to NETGEAR switch and then split off my routers?
Thanks
Bill
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Mentor

Re: Network design/router login issues

First - if you're going to use an acronym, at least know what it means - DOA is Dead on Arrival - it only applies with a new or replacement product, if your Belkin had been DOA, you would not have been able to manage it, because it would have been dead from the time you took it out of the box. Second - IF you split the network into multiple segments, which is what happens when you use multiple routers, then you can expect those routers to block traffic depending on how they are connected. What you really should be doing is configuring the second router (the WNDR3400) to function as a wireless access point rather than a router.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

“First - if you're going to use an acronym, at least know what it means - DOA is Dead on Arrival - it only applies with a new or replacement product, if your Belkin had been DOA, you would not have been able to manage it, because it would have been dead from the time you took it out of the box.”

EXCUSE me for misspeaking.... Router died while in service maybe I should have said KIA

“Second - IF you split the network into multiple segments, which is what happens when you use multiple routers, then you can expect those routers to block traffic depending on how they are connected.”

Funny nothing changed other than replaced the DEAD Belkin with the new NETGEAR and configured the NETGEAR the same as the old DEAD Belkin. So why can't I access it through the WNDR4500? That was my real question. Also I detailed as to how they were currently connected looking for suggestions/changes.

“What you really should be doing is configuring the second router (the WNDR3400) to function as a wireless access point rather than a router.”

Maybe I should and maybe you should live by your motto:

Teach a man to fish, feed him for life

So teach me something instead of just spouting off, I came here for advice/help
Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Mentor

BEFORE we can help or teach, we NEED to know what you need help with.

Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

wwitten wrote:
Funny nothing changed other than replaced the DEAD Belkin with the new NETGEAR and configured the NETGEAR the same as the old DEAD Belkin. So why can't I access it through the WNDR4500? That was my real question. Also I detailed as to how they were currently connected looking for suggestions/changes.

Without wishing to interrupt Fordem’s line of thinking, I believe a likely difference between router functionality, that might result in the change that you have seen, is Loopback support. Many Netgear routers don’t support Loopback, perhaps your old Belkin router did?

This may not be the best discussion of the suject, but it might help explain why the Belkin may have been able to link those segments that Fordem referred to;

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/NAT_Loopback_Routers

I agree with the Access Point suggestion.
Highlighted
Mentor

I sketched out his network Andy, and based on his description, he has daisy-chained multiple routers - loopback or no loopback, the Belkin if configured as a router would not have allowed him to access the management interface from it's WAN port - which is what he is trying to do - unless remote management was enabled.

What loopback would allow is management of the 3400 using it's WAN interface address, from it's LAN interface, which I believe will also require remote management to be enabled.

I'm pretty certain you know my position on multiple routers, I've spoken on it often enough - avoid it unless you have a clear understanding of what you're doing - well, here's a classic example.

An additional router breaking what should have been one network into two segments, and the NAT process preventing the "back half" of the network from being accessed from the "front half" - this is very easy to verify - look at the ip addresses in the two segments - they won't match.

The solution to his request for design assistance and the router login is one and the same, and it's in the last line of my reply - configure the second router as an access point.

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

Let me try to explain better both my environment and my question:

I have Comcast as my phone and Internet provider. I live and work in a rather large and spread out building/home consisting of two stories and a basement.

The entrance for my providers service in in the basement where all my cabling infrastructure phone and data terminates all home runs, no daisy chaining.

Originally Comcast only provided a modem which provided the phone and data services. I therefore had a single Cat 5 run from this modem to my office on the first floor. There I always needed to utilized a router currently a WNDR4500 and daisy chained off of it, currently a GS608 for additional hardwired ports. This had provided my basic WiFi needs, for the first floor and limited WiFi services for the second floor..

As the personal connectivity needs increased on the second floor I utilized the Belkin N1 daisy chained off of my office router to provide additional WiFi and hardwired connectivity. I did not configure the Benkin as an AP as I thought I was providing some separation of the personal traffic needs and my office needs. In hindsight probably not the best thought process.

Within the last year the Comcast modem was replaced with the Arris Modem/router..This Arris is located in the cable/phone entrance/access area in the basement of my building and does not provide significant WiFi signal to the First and Second floors. The First floor therefore is still currently utilizing the WNDR4500 (as a router) and subsequently the GS608 for my offices area. This area has numerous WiFi and hardwired devices requiring the most consistent throughput. The second floor has the WNDR3400 currently daisy chained off the WNDR4500 is for personal and gaming use and I'm trying to keep that traffic if possible separate from my office needs,

My question therefore is considering all of the recent changes, since I already have the Arris Modem/router provided by Comcast providing both hardwired and WiFi connectivity to one area of my home/workplace, would I be better off configuring both the WNDR4500 and the WNDR3400 as AP's daisy chained from the Arris Router or should I utilize my NETGEAR GS608 switch after the Arris Router connect both routers to the switch and configure either as separate routers or AP's. Guess I could also run a new CAT 5 to the second floor back to the Arris. The Arris router has nothing typically connecting to it other than the WNDR4500 and occasional WiFi connections primarily Smartphones. Looking for the best configuration given what I have and my needs.

Hope this clarifies my current situation and my needs.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements