Network drops 2-3 times daily

texdrake
Aspirant

Network drops 2-3 times daily

I am a first time poster. Having some internet connections issues that I was hoping you all could help me with.

Service:

- Charter Cable Internet

Equipment:

- Arris TM822A modem
- Netgear WNDR3800 Pro (brand new) running firmware 1.0.0.51CH

Settings:

IP Address: Dynamic
DNS: Dynamic
MaC: use default

Channel: 6 (just changed it to auto this AM however)

Problem:

Charter came in and installed about 5 days ago. Since then 2-3 times daily my network will drop completely. When you look at the modem and the router they both display all the correct lights (no change from proper functioning). However, all of my devices can no longer find my network (as if I turned the router off). The only way to fix this is to cycle on/off the router and/or reset it (I have done both). Charter came out yesterday and tested the line and the modem. They state the modem has been up for over 3 days without problems (since I last powered it off) and the line was showing good function as well.

In my mind, this is a router issue as its the network that disappears not just internet access, however I had charter replace the router with an identical model BRAND NEW one and still had the problem both last night and this AM.

I have no idea what is causing this and I don't think charter does either. Thoughts?
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Network drops 2-3 times daily

Did you test both wired and wireless BEHIND the router (3800) and issues are maybe happens on wireless only if you are only using wireless?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Just a thought or question I guess. Are you leasing the router from charter? Sounds like it from your post. If that's the case you should call them again. When you drop are you saying the SSID disappears too, can you see other SSID's?

We know it's one device, are there more than one, if only one could be another problem other than router like a pc problem.

The modem can be up and still not work, meaning not passing anything useful but still be up according the CMTS.

I would consider purchasing your own router and see how that works. I'm not familiar with the 3800 Pro.
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

firmware 1.0.0.51CH

I think this is branded firmware CH represents Charter.

May need to have 3800 replaced too if only ARRIS modem has replaced
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 7
texdrake
Aspirant

searay,

the 3800 PRO is just a 3800 that is Charter specific I believe.

Its not the device. All devices lose the SSID. Its not being broadcast.

Oddly enough the only change I have made in the last 2 days is to switch from Channel 6 to Auto select channel and it has been continuously online for about 40 hours now. I'm going to see if it goes 5 days before I return the new router I just bought.
Message 5 of 7
texdrake
Aspirant

jmizoguchi,

No, the modem wasn't replaced. Its working fine. It was the router that was replaced with an identical model.

I bought a Linksys N750 on Sunday AM but the netgear one has been running without problem since then so....

SIDE NOTE: One of the things I hate about computer tech is that you often have to wait hours to days to find out if a change you made actually worked.
Message 6 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I would isolate the issue but only happens on wireless but not wired.

Usually if you live in saturated already 2.4Ghz might cause an issues.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation