Network keeps dropping- completely at a loss as to why

Rita_Repulsa
Aspirant

Network keeps dropping- completely at a loss as to why

Hi,

I'm having severe connection issues with my WPN824v3 router. I've moved into a new apartment with Cable internet and I cannot seem to keep a constant wireless connection. It is not an issue regarding my internet connection itself, nor is it just my laptop, since my phone is losing the Wifi connection as well. My router seems to be dropping its signal completely for a couple of minutes anywhere from every 2 or 3 minutes to every half hour. I've tried restoring to factory default and changing the channel, but nothing is working.

Before I moved, I never had this issue. I can't seem to figure out the problem. Please let me know if you can thing of any other things to try.
Message 1 of 4
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: Network keeps dropping- completely at a loss as to why

1. Try to consider what has changed in your new environment that could have severe interference - enough to cause you drop your wireless connection. Have a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/electromagnetic_interference_at_2.4_GHz

Be aware that such interference can come from neighbors too. Therefore, avoid placing your router close to adjoining walls. Instead, try to locate your router as centrally as possible in your apartment, while at the same time, away from devices that could cause interference.

2. You can also use the following to scan your surroundings to give you a better idea of nearby networks and the channels they are using:

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

3. When you choose/change channel, try to follow these guidelines:

- Avoid channels that have too many networks.

- Avoid channels with weak signals.

- Avoid channels that overlap (eg. use only 1, 6 or 11 in the USA).

- Choose channels with strong signals rather than weak ones (so that CSMA/CA can have a better chance of working well).

All of the above, if possible.

4. If you are using 2.4GHz and have many networks around you, setting your speed to 145Mps should also optimize your network.

Hope the above helps!
Message 2 of 4
Joe_
Apprentice

Sorry for misleading info. Just checked the specs. #4 in previous post will not apply to you since your router is IEEE802.11b/g.

If suggestions do not help, wireless on router may also be failing.
Message 3 of 4
Rita_Repulsa
Aspirant

Thank you for the info. I've moved to a much more crowded (I guess...) apartment complex because now, instead of having 5-10 networks within range, I probably have 20. It definitely could be interference. Using InSSIDer, I see that there's pretty much an equal number of people using channels 1,6, and 11. I'll see how this turns out, and keep switching channels if I need to.

Again, thank you for the help.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E