× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Network port capped at 100mbp

hasanobts
Follower

Network port capped at 100mbp

I've seen countless threads on this here and none have provided an answer. I have an ARIS Surfboard cable modem SB8200 I have the netgear R6080. When I run a speed test the most I can get is 100mbp I have a gig connection. When I remove the router and go from my modem to my PC I get 900+ mbps.

Why is it when I'm using the router and hooked up to the Ethernet port I'm limited to 100mbps? I'm using the cables supplied with the router and the cable modem. Also I only got this dinky router because my norton core is no longer being supported and I was getting 800+mbps on that device.

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Network port capped at 100mbp

You won't find a way to make it gigabit because its not a gigabit router. Its ports are only 10/100mbps. Not gigabit. 

so if you want to hit faster speeds, you need to upgrade to a gigabit router. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6080.aspx

Message 2 of 5
wcalifas
Prodigy

Yea that router doesn't have the gigabit ports as was stated in the previous post. I read alot of complaints on that model on amazon reviews for that same reason.

Message 3 of 5

@wcalifas wrote:

Yea that router doesn't have the gigabit ports as was stated in the previous post. I read alot of complaints on that model on amazon reviews for that same reason.

Is that because the Amazon description is wrong or people are dumb and make the wrong choice?

Looking at the UK site, I see it promises "Faster Wi-Fi - Now up to 1000 Mbps (300 + 700) ". That has nothing to do with the wired speeds, and it in any case misleading marketing rubbish.

Message 4 of 5

@hasanobts wrote:

I've seen countless threads on this here and none have provided an answer.

Can you point us to some of these threads?

Every time someone comes here and asks about the R6080 the automatic response is to point out that they bought something that is limited to 100 Mbps on the wired network. They just have to read the documentation for their device.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Let us know which messages failed to tell you that and we can break the bad news to anyone who turns up there.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7