Networking Suggestions Needed

budhab3lly
Aspirant

Networking Suggestions Needed

I reside in a fairly large home with my family(s) there are actually 3 families basically with our own section of the home. we are sharing a 30/5 cable internet connection we were all connecting at one time through 3 netgear 3400s however one of them went south so i decided to upgrade and bought 3 6300v2 routers. How would you suggest setting them up to allow the entire family to access the entire network.

currently coming from ISP is a moto surfboard modem connected to one 6300v2 then a 100ft drop over to a second 6300v2 and from that one another 100ft drop to the last 6300v2 all 3 routers set up with same ssid/password with different channels selected.

any better suggestions?

fyi in the area is a large number of wireless networks some of which i feel might be interfering with my network

Thanks in Advance
Message 1 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: R6300v2 Sugestions wanted

USE AP MODE on 2 and 3
Message 2 of 9
WizardJ
Luminary

Re: Networking Suggestions Needed

How are the R6300v2s interconnected? Wirelessly (WDS) or wired or in any other fashion?
8/1 Mbit/s ADSL

Router: D-Link DIR-615

Wired AP: Netgear WNR1000v2
Message 3 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I assumed you were using Cat xx to connect all three. Your other post was questioned as to how they're connected which made me rethink my response. In my work a 100' drop meant 100 feet of cable.

I have 2 connected via Cat 5, one is router and 2nd is in AP mode. They work well together and adding a 2nd AP would work too.

If you're repeating via wireless connections get use to it. In my opinion it will never work with any reliability.
Message 4 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

we are sharing a 30/5 cable internet connection we were all connecting at one time through 3 netgear 3400s however one of them went south so i decided to upgrade and bought 3 6300v2 routers.

You had three of these setup already right? so

i decided to upgrade and bought 3 6300v2 routers. How would you suggest setting them up to allow the entire family to access the entire network.

Why you would ask when you had prior 3 working? Should same same can be done.

currently coming from ISP is a moto surfboard modem connected to one 6300v2 then a 100ft drop over to a second 6300v2 and from that one another 100ft drop to the last 6300v2 all 3 routers set up with same ssid/password with different channels selected.

You are using ethernet cable to too all three so use same setup. There is nothing better than using ethernet to connect all three of them
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 9
budhab3lly
Aspirant

I was just wondering is there was a more efficient way. the 6300 has many more options and features that the 3400 series that I had. Plus since install it seems my connection is slower.
Message 6 of 9
budhab3lly
Aspirant

wired all the way. 100' Cat 6 between routers 2 & 3
Message 7 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You should be fine with setup using all ethernet cables

Use AP mode or access point setup.. Usually AP mode feature should be used first if works well

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20927

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19852
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Use different channels on each device 1, 6, or 11 do not use 40mhz on 2.4. you might try auto channel too. On 5g do not set to 1300, use 289. Use different SSID on each band.

Some devices may not choose strongest signal, most apple devices don't switch to stronger AP when moving around the house on their own. You might need to disconnect then reconnect to connect to stronger AP.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements