× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Networking wireless and ethernet PCs

macpuppy
Aspirant

Networking wireless and ethernet PCs

I have a problem keeping and maintaining a network together with wired PCs (a desktop server) - on WIndow 7 and laptops connecting via wireless routers (Windows 10) - through a few different routers that in turn connect to a swtich and then to the modem.

Internet connections are fine - but the computers usually can't see on another.  Is there something in the routers that needs to be set?  If I plug the laptop into the same port the wifi is plugged into, then the network runs just fine.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@macpuppy wrote:

...through a few different routers that in turn connect to a swtich and then to the modem. ...

That's predictable. Routers in NAT mode are not made for transparent L2 communication. Only _one_ router must exist in your flat network, connecting the LAN to the Internet. Here you connect Ethernet switches, and if you desperately want routers which can be configured as wireless access points. Consult the other routers documentation for how to e-configure to wireless APs. Note: Routers make poor WAP in general.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@macpuppy wrote:

...through a few different routers that in turn connect to a swtich and then to the modem. ...

That's predictable. Routers in NAT mode are not made for transparent L2 communication. Only _one_ router must exist in your flat network, connecting the LAN to the Internet. Here you connect Ethernet switches, and if you desperately want routers which can be configured as wireless access points. Consult the other routers documentation for how to e-configure to wireless APs. Note: Routers make poor WAP in general.

Message 2 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] through a few different routers that in turn connect to a swtich
> and then to the modem.

Too vague to be useful.  What are these devices?  What, exactly, is
connected to what, exactly?  Hint: If a device has multiple Ethernet
ports, then "connected to device" is not enough detail.

> Internet connections are fine [...]

Then it seems likely that your "the modem" is not (only) a modem, or
you didn't actually connect a switch to it.  (Connecting a modem to a
switch is seldom a good idea.)

> [...] Only _one_ router must exist in your flat network, [...]

Not strictly true, but most folks will want a LAN with exactly one
router.

Message 3 of 5
macpuppy
Aspirant

I have a large home that used to be a school, so the network was existing.

I have 3 Belkin N600 routers and just added the Netgear Nighthawk AC1750. 
The  wireless routers plug into network connections in the classrooms, which in turn go to a 16 port hub (not a switch?) - a CentreCOM FH716, which is plugged directly into the modem. 

The PC plugs into the ethernet connection in the wall, which goes to the same 16 port hub.

I switched the Netgear to be an WAP, but this didn't change anything with respect to the two computers seeing each other.

My apologies for my lack of network knowledge - I hope this is enough info, if not - let me know.

Message 4 of 5
macpuppy
Aspirant

Well - maybe swtiching to an acess point is what was needed.  Although it didn't work at first, an hour later (time I spent reading networking stuff online) - it started working.
Thanks to those who replied.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7