losthorseman
Aspirant

Networking

Here's the deal I work for an apartment building that supplies hardwired internet for the tenants, then if they want to they can use routers to make there apartment wifi ran. The issue i am running into is that some of the routers wont give signals even if it shows it has internet going to it.

The set runs like this: Modem--->Switch--->Apartment

Now we as a business do not have to do anything past the hardwired capability, but i like to know things and help tenants out cause most are just students. If i can save them a buck or two I'd like too.

Message 1 of 19
wcalifas
Virtuoso

Re: Networking

If you want to make the wired connection maybe you can add an access point to that ethernet connection. You can convert almost any wifi router to an access point. An access point lets you add wifi from any hard wired connection without doing any routing. Have you tried adding an access point?

Message 2 of 19
wcalifas
Virtuoso

Another thing I forgot to mention. All the routing is done by the switch, everyone needs to set their routers as access points and they need to disable the dhcp on their routers and set their routers Ip address to something like 192.168.1.10.

Message 3 of 19
wcalifas
Virtuoso

When they have a router set as an access point you feed the hard wire (internet) to one of the four LAN ports on the back of the router and not the normal (WAN)  port that you use when connecting a modem to it. If you need more help there's videos on youtube on how to set a router as an access point. Hope that helps.

Message 4 of 19

My guess is that @wcalifas is on the right lines.

You could help to narrow it down by looking at the difference between the devices that do and don't connect. If it is  mishmash of different hardware, then you'll have to work out how to configure them individually.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 19
losthorseman
Aspirant

Ok, when i go back on Thursday I will try and set them to access points. That sounds like it should work. Most of the routers are all Netgears, not sure of model but they are the same. One is a google thing, but this sounds like it should work for it as well. Will let you know.

Message 6 of 19
wcalifas
Virtuoso

You'll have to tell your tenants that they will need to set up their routers as access points. On youtube there's many videos on how to do this. If  you need more help let us know.

Message 7 of 19
antinode
Guru

> [...] The issue i am running into is that some of the routers wont
> give signals even if it shows it has internet going to it. [...]

I don't know what any of that means.  As usual, showing actual
actions with their actual results (error messages, LED indicators, ...)
can be more helpful than vague descriptions or interpretations ("give
signals", for example).

> [...] The set runs like this: Modem--->Switch--->Apartment [...]

What, exactly, is "Modem"?  What, exactly, is "Switch"?  What kind of
service does your (unspecified) ISP provide?  Do you get a single public
IP address, or a block of IP addresses (one per apartment), or what?

> [...] All the routing is done by the switch, [...]

"Routing" is done by a _router_, not by a "switch".  "Router" and
"switch" are spelled differently for a reason.

> [...] You'll have to tell your tenants that they will need to set up
> their routers as access points. [...]

There is much "advice" in this thread, at least some of which is
nonsense.  So far, I haven't seen where anyone has revealed what any of
the actual equipment involved might be.  Either I missed something, or
else this "advice" is all based on guesswork and/or speculation.

> [...] when i go back on Thursday I will try and set them to access
> points. That sounds like it should work. [...]

Perhaps to you.  I'd rather have some actual information in hand
before I started recommending ways to configure one set of mystery
devices, which are connected to another set of mystery devices, which
are connected to a mystery ISP, which provides a mystery level of
service.  Call me eccentric.  But, hey.  You could get lucky.  Try
whatever you want.

Message 8 of 19
wcalifas
Virtuoso

Don't know what to tell you. Hopefully your tenants can research how to turn their routers to access points. Youtube has videos on how to do it. If they can't figure it out then hardwired is  the way they'll have to do it.

Message 9 of 19
antinode
Guru

> Don't know what to tell you. [...]

I agree with that.

> [...] Hopefully your tenants can research how to turn their routers to
> access points.

Perhaps, _if_ configuring their routers as wireless access points
actually makes any sense.  It's not obvious to me that it does.  Because
_I_ know approximately nothing about the stuff to which these access
points would be connected.  Unlike everyone else around here offering
all the "advice" (based on what?).

Message 10 of 19
losthorseman
Aspirant

@wcalifas Agan thank you for trying  help, I will update after I try it

@antinode  why are you even saying anything? You have contributed nothing to this conversation.

You asked to know what the equiment is, well it was already put in the post. You dont know "exactly" what a modem is, then you probably shouldn't put yourself down as a master.

Belittling people by saying "router and switch are spelled differently for a reason", just because you didn't understand what was written? The actual route the internet bandwidth takes is done by the switch, because that is what sends it to the apartment. 

Message 11 of 19

@losthorseman wrote:

Belittling people by saying "router and switch are spelled differently for a reason", just because you didn't understand what was written?

Apologies for any uncouth stuff that you have encountered. Most of the "volunteers" here try to be helpful and to understand that not everyone has a PhD in network engineering. Unfortunately, there is also a tiny handful that gets its rock off from being objectionable and trying to make others feel silly.

It might be worth quoting a bit of the  NETGEAR Community Terms Of Service.

Behave with civility and mutual respect.

With luck you have got enough useful information to help the rest of the apartment.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 12 of 19
losthorseman
Aspirant

Thank you @michaelkenward. I honestly do think that what @wcalifas said will work because it is a mish mash of different routers, mostly netgear hence my post, but also google and apple stuff as well.

Message 13 of 19

Yes. @wcalifas has taken it back to basics. There may be wrinkles in the equipment, but they mostly work in the same way, even from different makers.

A key bit was when you said that some people made it work. Go talk to one of them, see what their setup looked like, compare it with what @wcalifas says and take it from there.

One thing to look for is the type of the kit that the other people have. Among other things, Netgear makes modem/routers, routers and extenders. But with few exceptions you can turn them into access points. But the steps you have ti take may depend on the box in question.

Just another user.

Message 14 of 19
antinode
Guru

> [...] You have contributed nothing to this conversation.

Only questions.  Still unanswered.  Some of us need some basic
information before making recommendations.  Others seem not to.

> You asked to know what the equiment is, well it was already put in the
> post. [...]

No, it wasn't.  If "Modem" were a useful description of anything,
then I wouldn't have asked for a better one.

> [...] You dont know "exactly" what a modem is, [...]

I know what _a_ modem is.  What I don't know is what _your_ "a modem"
is, including whether it's a simple modem or a modem+router.  Similarly,
I know what a network switch is, but I don't know what your "Switch" is.
Do you?

I also know that for typical residential Internet service, connecting
a network switch directly to a modem would almost certainly not work as
one might wish.  Perhaps you're simply describing badly a configuration
of equipment and service which will work just fine.  Without a useful
description of the equipment (that is, more than "Modem" or "Switch"), I
can't tell.

> [...] you probably shouldn't put yourself down as a master.

Thanks for the advice, but the forum software applies those labels,
not I.

If you don't want to supply any useful information about your
equipment, then I don't want to twist your arm.  If you can't locate
actual maker and model information on your equipment, then that's fine.
Feel free to get your advice from other people who also have no idea
what they're dealing with.  As I said, you could get lucky.

Message 15 of 19
losthorseman
Aspirant

So I've been real busy and haven't gotten the time to get back here, I didn't get to try and change them to access points because I didn't have a second router. I did however find them the N300 wi-fi access point on Amazonand they are supposed to let me know i that works. Technicaly myself and the owners have nothing more to do, because the apartments do have internet as ong as you use an ethernet cable. 

Message 16 of 19

@losthorseman wrote:

I did however find them the N300 wi-fi access point on Amazon

What is that?

N300 isn't a Netgear model number. It is a wifi speed tag that describes a now old wifi technology.

N300 is about as slow as it gets. I am surprised that you can still buy that stuff.

Just another user.

Message 17 of 19
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

N300 is about as slow as it gets. I am surprised that you can still buy that stuff.

The N300/WNR3500Lv2 is still sold/supported, as of last fall. It is a great Gbit router. It will run on 3rd party firmware. If you don't need the super fast WiFi it is a good choice for <$50us.

Message 18 of 19
losthorseman
Aspirant

@TaterSalid  the one i looked at was strictly an access point, not the router combo one, and it was only $20. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements