Highlighted
Luminary

New Firmware - 1.0.1.38

US
ftp://updates1.netgear.com/wndr4500/us/

WorldWide
ftp://updates1.netgear.com/wndr4500/ww/

Same file for both as region coding is written with burnsku on the WNDR4500 and not firmware based.
WNDR4500-V1.0.1.38_1.0.64.chk
Message 1 of 18
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: New Firmware - 1.0.1.38

Updated and haven't noticed any changes. Has anyone come across a changelog?
Message 2 of 18
Highlighted
Novice

stil rock'n V1.0.0.70_1.0.18 fw here on both units..trouble free
Message 3 of 18
Highlighted

I just rolled back from it after I was unable to stream movies through my smart tv.
Message 4 of 18
Highlighted

Release Notes: 1. Fixes the issue causing NETGEAR genie mobile app fail to log into the router in some situations

All I could find about it.
~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.64 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 5 of 18
Highlighted
Luminary

Thanks. Where did you obtain that info from?
Message 6 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

My Android app has never been able to find the router, and still can't.
Message 7 of 18
Highlighted

Firmware upgrade in router's GUI. I never perform "live" upgrades, but happen to stumble on it while looking at another issue.
~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.64 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 8 of 18
Highlighted

I just wanted to add that I reinstalled the new firmware that I thought was causing my network issues and it is working at the moment. My streaming movies are streaming again so idk what happened with it the first time.
Message 9 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

We just released new firmware that will improve the WiFi range and speed of your NETGEAR N900 WiFi Router (WNDR4500 v1) and increase the reliability of the NETGEAR mobile genie® app.

I just received the above Email, last night, from Netgear support which I think is referring to Firmware 1.0.1.38 (can not be sure because the link in the email gets "server not found" when clicked on.

.Assuming that they are talking about 1.0.1.38, have you found the stated "improvement of the WiFi range and speed" for the WNDR4500 ???
Message 10 of 18
Highlighted
Novice

I also got an email stating the same thing, yet when I check for a firmware update through the router it says I have the latest firmware installed (V1.0.1.38_1.0.64). Weird
Message 11 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

Jaime,
I think the email is probably implying version 1.0.1.38, since its release notes mention a fix for genie app.
So, in that case since you are running version 1.0.1.38, do you find that Version 1.0.1.38 has "improvement of the WiFi range and speed (as stated by Netgear's email)", over the prior version of Firmware that you were running ?
Message 12 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

I received the same email I believe I didn't have Genie on phone or PC so I downloaded Genie on both and my PC showed there was an update to My NetGear WNDR4500 and then after about 10 min. it came up failed and now my router which in two years I have had absolutely NO PROBLEMS with has firmware problems. Any help out there, ran reset all 3 or 4 of them many times and ran diagnostic network connection and comes up NO IP Address :confused:. I followed the directions used the Ethernet cable didn't try and do wireless didn't shut anything down just sat and watched Smiley Sad
Message 13 of 18
Highlighted

The new version appears to do 3 things:

1. Bumps up range and speed, but only at a distance. I suspect that it achieves this by improving the MIMO algorithm in code. This is the process by which the multiple antennas can "steer" a readio a directed beam to find connected devices and thereby send more energy in the right direction (and also reduce interference).

2. Major improvements to setup Wizards and Genie, an optional front end that works with or without an associated app on your PC.

3. Adds ReadyShare Cloud: Access files on a locally attached drive from anywhere. In the past, the N900 / WNDR4500 offered only the local ReadyShare (file access, indexing and media streaming features).

But here is a letdown, for advanced users... Just as with the firmware auto-update feature, it appears that the ReadyShare Cloud feature does not work when the N900 / WNDR4500 is configured as an Access Point (AP). When the router is configured in this way, DHCP is disabled and the main router is attached via the LAN port instead of the WAN port. In this setup, the auto-update and Cloud features do does not "see" an Internet connection.

That's no big deal for updates, because the manual update feature works just fine (download the file and flash it). But for USB drive content, it means that the device does not support remote access. Oh well... The cloud access feature was not promoted on this model. I don't even see it on the change log.

Ellery Davies
ellery (at) starbus (d0t) com
Message 14 of 18
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Ready share cloud, I get it, it doesn't work, But have you tried using the AP Mode under advanced setup, Wireless AP?

Using this should allow several things to work, updates, time & schedule to turn off wifi, E-mail logs.

It does on every router I checked so far so I'm surprised it doesn't on a 4500
Message 15 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

Since the firmware has been out for over a month now and I don't see the extensive outcry showing multiple dropped connections like with ...36, is it safe to assume that this firmware is a lot more stable than ...36 was?
Message 16 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

nkyadav wrote:
Since the firmware has been out for over a month now and I don't see the extensive outcry showing multiple dropped connections like with ...36, is it safe to assume that this firmware is a lot more stable than ...36 was?

I've got lots of connections lost, both with wired and wirless. When I said lot, I mean every 5 minutes or so...
I revert back to .20.
Message 17 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

kityler wrote:
I've got lots of connections lost, both with wired and wirless. When I said lot, I mean every 5 minutes or so...
I revert back to .20.

Not me. I've had no connection issues, unlike with .36.
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements