New Firmware Posted: WNDR3700/WNDR37AV Firmware Version 1.0.14.98

Dalmo
Aspirant

New Firmware Posted: WNDR3700/WNDR37AV Firmware Version 1.0.14.98

new firmware WNDR3700-V1.0.14.98NA post any results :D http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19214
Message 1 of 195
MrPisky
Novice

Re: New Firmware Posted: WNDR3700/WNDR37AV Firmware Version 1.0.7.98

Yeah, was getting ready to post about this...just saw it 5 min ago! I guess I'll give it a whirl. I just flashed 1.0.7.98NA a couple weeks ago and was having issues with the attached devices list not showing up (which I see others have posted about). Hopefully this will cure it. I also noticed this new firmware release was NOT showing available inside the router interface. It said "no new firmware version available", but I just happened to find the new update by checking the Netgear support pages for the router. I'll report any issues, but hopefully none.
Message 2 of 195
taekwon3dan
Aspirant

Dalmo wrote:
new firmware WNDR3700-V1.0.14.98NA
post any results

😄

Netgear made WNDR3700v1 a clear winner here! Everything working well, including Attached Devices.

NOTE: Should not this be in a new thread unique to 1.0.14.98??!!
Message 3 of 195
Scandy
Tutor

taekwon3dan wrote:
Netgear made WNDR3700v1 a clear winner here! Everything working well, including Attached Devices.

It most likely will. It is too new and Netgear just hasn't gotten around to posting it yet.

MrPisky, the new firmware notification that is built in to the 3700 firmware is notorious for being intermittent. It works sometimes and a while later it won't work. It has been intermittent for a long time. In this case, as I said, I think that the firmware is just too new and Netgear has not had a chance to get it going on their update server.
Message 4 of 195
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

taekwon3dan wrote:

I agree 😉
Message 5 of 195
Darkev
Aspirant

I just upgraded and this version appears to be a little worse than the 1.0.7.98 version when it comes to port forwarding. Right now I'm not getting any remote IP phones to connect at all with the 1.0.14.98 version. With 1.0.7.98 I was able to get a maximum of 4 IP phones to connect. With 1.0.4.98 all 8 phones would connect without an issue. I'm not sure why port forwarding is failing to this degree. It may be working for gaming, but for VoIP it is failing completely.
Message 6 of 195
csewell
Aspirant

Re: New Firmware Posted: WNDR3700/WNDR37AV Firmware Version 1.0.14.98

After installing this firmware over the previous one, you must go to the port forwarding/port triggering page and fix all the manually set port forwards. It looks like NETGEAR have finally added port translation to the WNDR3700!
Message 7 of 195
troystarr
Novice

Hi folks -

I've just upgraded to it too. One thing to be aware of is that you must re-enter your port forwarding information after upgrading, even if you don't factory reset the router during the upgrade. The port forwarding information will appear to be there, but it is now corrupt and non-functional. Specifically, your port forwarding rule's original destination IP address will now be in the destination starting port field, and the destination IP address field will now be blank, causing the port forwarding rule to be non-functional. A simple edit of each port forwarding rule to fix the corruption is enough to get them working again.

It still has the IPv6 DHCP/DNS issues I discussed here. That's not surprising since no mention of this was included in the release notes, but hope springs eternal...

I haven't encountered any other issues so far.

- Troy
Message 8 of 195
Darkev
Aspirant

I wiped out the router completely and then installed the 1.0.14.98 firmware. So I had to add the port forwarding and I did notice that it wanted both internal and external ports entered. I made the ports: UDP internal from 5060 to 5060 - same for external going to my server. UDP internal from 10000 to 20000 - same for external going to my server. I set this up after creating the server static IP entry under LAN. It should have worked. The phones on the remote end were all rebooted. Still no connectivity. OPEN was used for NAT. I removed the SIP ALG feature. Basically the setting are identical o the 1.0.4.98 version, and they were all manually keyed back in. Restoring back to 1.0.4.98 restored the connectivity issue that 1.0.14.98 has. I was hoping Netgear was reading these forums but it doesn't seem like it. I have mentioned the port forwarding issue with 1.0.7.98 several times where it only allowed 4 devices to register though port forwarding. Now none of the devices can register.
Message 9 of 195
Simon0
Novice

Can someone kindly explain to me what is: Support “AP mode” and “Auto IP” in AP mode, before I upgrade. Does it mean it makes the router into an AP easier and ALL 5 ports can be used?

I'm currently using 1.0.7.98 in AP mode without issue.
Message 10 of 195
knightrider2000
Aspirant

Simon0 wrote:
Can someone kindly explain to me what is: Support “AP mode” and “Auto IP” in AP mode, before I upgrade. Does it mean it makes the router into an AP easier and ALL 5 ports can be used?

I'm currently using 1.0.7.98 in AP mode without issue.

I'll answer your question in a little - but you may want to hold off in any case. I use my WNDR3700 as an AP only. I wasn't doing anything special today so I figured I'd give it a 14.98 a try. Now I am having problems with it once I change it to AP mode. The router seems to reboot every 10 seconds - it appeared to be dropping the wireless (lights turning off) and was dropping the wired connection that I was on. I have done a couple 30-30-30 resets and everytime I switched to AP mode, it started the reboot. I am trying another 30-30-30 and going to reload the FW again and see if that fixes it.

To answer the questions - I don't see anything too special about the AP enhancments. It allows you to set the device as an AP. Then the "auto IP" allows you to use DHCP to assign the WNDR3700 an IP address when used as an AP - I chose not use this feature and instead hardcoded an IP (not sure why one would want an auto assigned IP for network infrastructure). Once you select AP mode, you also won't be able to change any "router" settings - it greys out about 50% of the left-hand menu options related to use as a router (basically leaves wireless and usb). Doesn't seem to make it any easier to me.

Not sure about the WAN being a fifth port (I was using dd-wrt once and it allows for that) - I'll post back later after the re-flash and re-setup and let you know if it has an extra port (if I can get the reboots to stop).
Message 11 of 195
knightrider2000
Aspirant

More on the "AP Mode":

This allows for your router to be used as a wireless access point (i.e. no router function). You can find the setting under Advanced --> Wireless Settings. Once selected it sets up your device as an access point. It allows you to set up the device as a DHCP client ("Auto IP" per the release notes I guess) or manually set the IP. It also greys out the router settings (and disables things like DHCP server). USB devices/media servers still appear to be functioning and you can still use it as switch (with one caveat below).

You connect the device's WAN port to your LAN. The other ports 1-4 still appear to be usable (so effectively you have 5 ports). As a note I only tested with one device attached to the LAN ports. One warning: ports 1-4 completely flake out if the "WAN" port is not linked/attached - it appears to me if you lose connectivity from the AP "WAN" port to the network (i.e. if the router/device on the other end of the AP "WAN" port goes down), you lose connectivity to the other devices connected to the WNDR3700 as a switch - not sure why - seems like a minor bug, but enough that I reflashed and did numerous hard resets thinking it hadn't fully taken. So I am weighing the 1 extra port gained with the dedicated AP mode vs some segment stability. I will try the AP Mode for the next week and see how it works.
Message 12 of 195
Simon0
Novice

Thanks for the info knightrider2000, much appreciated... This sounds VERY similar to the SamKnows WNR3500L/Broadcom Router in bridging mode at: http://fcc.samknows.com/bridging.html

I remember getting all confused with my SamKnows router in AP/Bridge mode because you HAD to use the WAN port 1st, unlike how normally you don't touch the WAN.

btw, in this special "AP-Mode" does it keep correct date/time... Since it's using the WAN ports both as a WAN & LAN, I'm as assuming it does when we plug a USB storage device to it and write to it???
Message 13 of 195
howardagoldberg
Aspirant

Anyone else notice that the ISO file size for 1.0.14.98 is nearly 0.5MB *smaller* than 1.0.7.98? Did they tighten up the code base?
Message 14 of 195
pa3fat
Aspirant

Notice that portforwarding does not work directly after upgrade.
For every entry i had in the list had to update the begin and end port for the internal IP.
Notice that by default the begin end port contains the internal ip number.

After this done it worked as before.

Did not reload my previous settings after upgrade.
So this reflect the situation directly after upgrading the fw to 14.98
Message 15 of 195
Holman
Aspirant

howardagoldberg wrote:
Anyone else notice that the ISO file size for 1.0.14.98 is nearly 0.5MB *smaller* than 1.0.7.98? Did they tighten up the code base?

What ISO file? the file I downloaded 1.0.14.98 is an image file and it is 6.5 MB.
Message 16 of 195
OtilioDJ
Aspirant

All seems to be working well with the exception of the Netgear / Opendns live parental control interface. Keeps advising me that the router is not recognized. All other features, so far, are working
Message 17 of 195
howardagoldberg
Aspirant

Sorry, meant "image" file. Windows recognizes it as an ISO ... working fine for me thus far, btw.
Message 18 of 195
Darkev
Aspirant

Today I thought I'd try reinstalling the 1.0.14.98 firmware again. It still after the second time would not work with my remote VoIP phones via port forwarding. So I thought I'd try the 30-30-30 ritual, and after doing that I was able to get all remote phones to connect. This is great! I'll be testing it over the next few days to see if it maintains connection with the phones, and if any other errors occur. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will report back.
Message 19 of 195
Frippi
Aspirant

So, I've installed 1.0.14.98. Was very glad to see IGMP proxy (haven't tested yet) and port translation. Then I tried using port translation. For some reason it doesn't allow using same internal ports on different internal addresses.

For example: I have two PCs behind this router, I want to be able to connect to both of them via RDP, so I have forwarded 3389 to 3389 at 192.168.1.2. Then I tried to forward 3388 to 3389 at 192.168.1.3 and couldn't do so, after I click apply it tells me that "Specified ports are being used by other configurations".

Will try to contact support to let them know.
Message 20 of 195
Simon0
Novice

One big feature mentioned is "Support DFS channel in Australia, Canada, and Europe. "

Why are the DFS channels NOT available in the US?

The FCC had made them available since 2007.
Message 21 of 195
Maltz
Aspirant

Simon0 wrote:
One big feature mentioned is "Support DFS channel in Australia, Canada, and Europe. "

Why are the DFS channels NOT available in the US?

The FCC had made them available since 2007.

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that the WNDR3700 isn't FCC certified to use them. It may be physically capable of it, and it's legal to do so, but devices still have to be certified for those channels by the FCC before they can legally use them in the US.
Message 22 of 195
edlivian
Novice

1.0.14.98 in ap mode is working great for me, and I gained an extra port since I get to use the wan port, and it disabled all the features that I do not need.

I cannot tell a difference in wireless performance, seems the same as 1.0.x.75
Message 23 of 195
nToxik
Aspirant

Would someone be kind enough to post the proper way to upgrade the router's firmware. I have seen some different methods posted in the past. Thank you.
Message 24 of 195
nToxik
Aspirant

Sorry...or is http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234 still the best method?
Message 25 of 195
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E