New Firmware Posted: WNDR3700/WNDR37AV Firmware Version 1.0.14.98

JimWndr3700
Novice

Re: New Firmware Posted: WNDR3700/WNDR37AV Firmware Version 1.0.14.98

It is not listed as a download on the support page (at this time) for either router, so that tells me they are working on it. Just because you can find a link that downloads it does not mean it's ready. I would wait until it's listed as a down on the support page.

Cheers,
Jim
Message 51 of 195
howardagoldberg
Aspirant

Well -- it *was* ready, since it was posted and now it's not ;-). And the last time this happened, the file was taken off their servers completely. At any rate, FWIW, I am running 14 w/o issues thus far ...
Message 52 of 195
KiccoLSD
Tutor

I'm trying to use AP mode but I'm expecting a lot of issues. After few days (24\48Hrs) wndr3700 webend is unreachable, the unit change its own ip even if it was setted to a static one. When the unit works webend gui is very slow.
Message 53 of 195
KiccoLSD
Tutor

If i setup manualy ip address (192.168.0.10), subnet (255.255.255.0) and gateway (192.168.0.1 which is my router ip) wifi join is very slow and I cannot surf in Internet. If "Get IP Address Dynamically" wifi link seem to be ok
Message 54 of 195
taekwon3dan
Aspirant

If the new 1.0.14.98 firmware was pulled due to a problem, it would have been helpful on Netgear's part to post a short message on the download page as to what the problem is, so that people are not guessing whether something is wrong and whether one should reflash a previous firmware version.
Message 55 of 195
Simon0
Novice

JimWndr3700 wrote:
NETGEAR wants to thank all of you that beta tested this release. (J/K)

FYI, here is what WAS posted for this release. It appears they added some new features. “Schedule-based WiFi on/off” sounds cool but I would think they would resolve the "Known Issues" list before adding more features, especially the USB write performance. I've read that another brand of router, similar in price has double the read/write speed using NTFS on the USB drive, so I know it can be done. I hate having to use EXT3.

Cheers,
Jim

NTFS is proprietary and the gpl drver they use is crippled to slow down performance. exeven ext3 performance ain't so great since multiple layers of processing is involved. They'd have to license optimized drivers in order to double speed OR wait until routers w/ dual-core cpu's are affordable.
Message 56 of 195
Maltz
Aspirant

My money is on them pulling it because the update process trashes port forwarding settings. It's easy enough to fix, but I can imagine that something like that are hard on their tech support resources.

That said... how in the world did that pass their testing? lol
Message 57 of 195
JimWndr3700
Novice

Simon0 wrote:
NTFS is proprietary and the gpl drver they use is crippled to slow down performance.

That should not be my problem. 🙂

The ASUS RT-N56U has some decent USB speeds, how did they do it? I read at least 3 places where it scored well above any speed I can get from my WNDR3700V1.

1) Another poster here wrote "speeds are 13MB/s to 20MB/s" that was NTFS.

2) ultimate-directory.net reads "We didn’t have high expectations for the RT-56U’s storage performance, but it surprised us by being the fastest of all reviewed routers that have USB ports. The router scored 95.4Mbps for writing and 104.2Mbps for reading." (I'm assuming this was NTFS format.)

3) www.smallnetbuilder.com reads "speed of 7.6 MB/s and 9.5 MB/s with FAT and NTFS-formatted drives, respectively. Reads came in at 13 MB/s"

Cheers,
Jim
Message 58 of 195
snipe122
Aspirant

I installed the new release yesterday. No issues so far, and some new nice features.

Until now I had problems streaming radio to my Nokia phone, it was totally scrumbled after some time. This problem seems to be solved... At least yesterday it was running fine for some time! Let's see if it was by chance or if it is really fixed 🙂

Upgrade process went fine. I made a "written" backup of all settings, flashed the firmware, resettet to factory settings and entered everything again.

Looks good so far! 🙂
Message 59 of 195
Simon0
Novice

Does anyone know exactly why DFS channels was not offered in the US on Firmware 1.0.14.98? Is it because they are awaiting to ONLY offer it on the WNDR3800?

DFS channels was mentioned a long time ago as simply a future firmware upgrade for the WNDR3700 to move beyond the 8 5GHz channels. However, when I saw "Clear Channel Selector" as a WNDR3800 ONLY feature, I thought Netgear wouldn't offer it on the WNDR3700 because DFS stands for "dynamic frequency selection", which in essence is a requirement to gain FCC approval and is equivalent to their so called "Clear Channel Selector" on the WNDR3800.

So far, Netgear had added Auto Channel Selection on the 2.4GHz band when it is not required to do so, but NOT add Auto Channel Selection on the 5GHz channels, when it is a requirements to use the DFS channels... what logic is that??:confused::confused:
Message 60 of 195
Morph3R
Aspirant

Heads UP! I'm using v1.0.14.98 for few days. I have been analyzing router logs and I've discovered that the router does not log attack attempts (DoS attacks and Port Scans). I have 2 days long torrent download session and in my logs there is not a single DoS Attack (RST Scan or ACK Scan) or Port Scan logged. Maybe this firmware was pulled out because it has defective firewall??
_

morph3r
Message 61 of 195
snipe122
Aspirant

I updated mine yesterday and have in the log:

[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx, port 80, Thursday, May 26,2011 12:07:03

So I think you can calm down 😉
Message 62 of 195
fake
Aspirant

i wonder why they pull up again the firmware.. same issue with .75??
my signature..
Message 63 of 195
Simon0
Novice

It's interesting that the firmware 1.0.14.98 was NOT removed from their servers and is STILL AVAILABLE if you want it.
Message 64 of 195
elbeasto
Aspirant

So what's the story with this FW and it's official status?

The WNDR3700 downloads page still shows the current FW, not the newer version listed at the beginning of this thread.
Message 65 of 195
Simon0
Novice

It would have been nice if they had given a reason for why it was withdrawn, if it was because port forwarding settings were not being carried over properly, we could have reset/restore defaults before & after the upgrade.

Most likely the firmware didn't destroy it's flash chip fast enough, aka--controlled obsolescence.. Just kidding...:p:p

Was going to upgrade several this weekend... to use as AP & wired bridge features.. but guess I'll just wait...
Message 66 of 195
dkizzy
Aspirant

I'm glad I didn't get my hopes up! lol. I wonder why they're focusing on adding features and not properly fixing older issues. How do you go from 1.0.7.98 to 14 and not clean the code up/make this thing enjoyable to use? The RT-N66U needs to come asap so I can get off this absurd router. You would think someone would listen to mshake and the other guys who point out the flaws and get them dealt with.
Message 67 of 195
StaticFree
Tutor

Simon0 wrote:
It would have been nice if they had given a reason for why it was withdrawn, if it was because port forwarding settings were not being carried over properly, we could have reset/restore defaults before & after the upgrade.

Most likely the firmware didn't destroy it's flash chip fast enough, aka--controlled obsolescence.. Just kidding...:p:p

Was going to upgrade several this weekend... to use as AP & wired bridge features.. but guess I'll just wait...

Hi all, I've installed this newest firmware 1.0.14.98NA too on my WNDR3700V1 router and it has been running for about 3 days straight now without any hangups. I don't use any of the extra and fancier features like traffic monitor, AP mode, etc. I do use port forwarding, LAN ipaddress fixed ipaddress assignments to my many PC's and devices. I am using Time Warner ISP and this firmware has not locked up my WAN Internet DNS name resolutions like the previous firmware 1.0.7.98NA does. So far so good.
I have contacted Netgear support on my old open ticket and he said that the reason the newest firmware was pulled off the website download page was because they had some issues with the Russian Language parts of it. That's all. He said if you don't use the Russian language parts of it, you should be fine. They expect to have a new firmware fix up shortly he said. So you all should be fine using it if you are not using Russian language part of it.
Message 68 of 195
knightrider2000
Aspirant

I've stopped using 14.98 inAP node. I have seen very flakey behavior:
1. It flakes out if not connected to the LAN (via the WAN port)
2. It flakes out some more when using it. My wife was having issues on her notebook (Intel 4965 a/g/n) - it would show her as not connected to the internet after not using for a while. I would turn off the WNDR3700 (or stop the wireless radios) and she would (fortunately) pick up our other AP and have no problems. (She's been able to repeat this on 3 occasions - all the while I was sitting next to her with no issues on my laptop)
3. Not sure it really fixes anything that I needed fixed. I gave up on PAT a long time ago. I was tempted to try it as a NAS again, but I figured it would still have the same issues as previous firmwares - so probably I've given up there.

I am pretty frustrated with the whole quality of Netgear firmware on this device. I've also got a Linksys E3000 that I use as my other AP and router and I have to say I have had a lot less problems with its firmware (I got that because I needed a bit more 5 ghz coverage and PAT and wanted all gigabit). (Previously I used a Linksys WRT300N for years with no problems and solid firmware). I will try using 14.98 as an AP in non AP mode and see how that works. At least that the WNDR3700 with 7.98 was very solid when used just as an AP/switch and gave me really good, reliable coverage - I am guessing I'll probably head back to that firmware and just leave it alone for good.
Message 69 of 195
Simon0
Novice

This may just be one of the side-effects of outsourcing firmware programming to overseas programmers.:eek::eek:
Message 70 of 195
gahelm
Novice

I have had to revert back to 7.98. I have NEVER had my router just lock up but on the new 14.98 it did just that. Two laptops connected wirelessly showed that they were connected, but I could not gain access to the internet OR the internal router web pages used for setup. Turned it off then back on and all was well again. Since I have never had this problem before I reverted back just to play it safe. 😞
Message 71 of 195
neil0311
Aspirant

Just noticed there is new firmware, and that it seems to be pulled officially. I've had no issues with 1.0.7.98NA, so I'm curious what is in the new version (1.0.14.98NA) that would be a cause to upgrade?

I'm starting to take the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude, especially with this router. Any thoughts?
Message 72 of 195
Simon0
Novice

neil0311 wrote:
Just noticed there is new firmware, and that it seems to be pulled officially. I've had no issues with 1.0.7.98NA, so I'm curious what is in the new version (1.0.14.98NA) that would be a cause to upgrade?

I'm starting to take the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude, especially with this router. Any thoughts?

The major features are: Support “AP mode” and “Auto IP” in AP mode & Support DFS channel in Australia, Canada, and Europe. Perhaps Support “Port Forwarding Enhancement” may be important for some but I use a separate much more reliable router which alot of other people do already. If only the DFS channels were also available in the US also..
Message 73 of 195
gahelm
Novice

The biggest thing I noticed when I was running the 14.98 version was the attached devices list worked perfectly, now that I'm back on the prior version I once again have a blank attached devices list even though there are 5 devices attached and transferring data. This makes IP reservations a little trickier and one has to wonder if it could cause duplicate IP addresses at some point in the future. Hurry up Netgear and get the new version out of the oven! (But make sure it's fully cooked this time..)
Message 74 of 195
neil0311
Aspirant

gahelm wrote:
The biggest thing I noticed when I was running the 14.98 version was the attached devices list worked perfectly, now that I'm back on the prior version I once again have a blank attached devices list even though there are 5 devices attached and transferring data. This makes IP reservations a little trickier and one has to wonder if it could cause duplicate IP addresses at some point in the future.

Maybe I'm in a minority, but I have never had any problem with the attached devices list or reservations. Both have worked correctly for me.
Message 75 of 195
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E