New Firmware Posted: WNDR3700/WNDR37AV Firmware Version 1.0.14.98

taekwon3dan
Aspirant

Re: New Firmware Posted: WNDR3700/WNDR37AV Firmware Version 1.0.14.98

Simon0 wrote:

The firmware was pulled because they various found serious issues with it.

Reset & flash-back to previous for now....

If that is actually true, Netgear should have posted a short notice informing us of the "serious" issues and that the firmware should not be used.

A short message on the download site would suffice.

I think it's just good business practice.
Message 101 of 195
howardagoldberg
Aspirant

Simon, can you be more specific as to what the "serious" issues are? Because aside from this, everything is running smoothly. Had I not run a speed test, I probably would not have even noticed ...
Message 102 of 195
taekwon3dan
Aspirant

I have been using this firmware for several days now and haven't experienced any problems. Of course, I don't need to port forward anything.

I just use it as a basic router for my 43/35 connection.

I do have a 1 TB HDD with media files which I stream using DLNA. No problems.
Message 103 of 195
howardagoldberg
Aspirant

And, "14" is still on Netgear's servers, so it is not completely pulled. Just not being pushed on the support change. If you right click on download link, "copy shortcut," paste into the address bar and chance 07 to 14, you can still get the "new" firmware ...
Message 104 of 195
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have been using the .14 firmware for about the last week. Excellent!! No problems thus far. Best firmware yet. Kudos, Netgear.
Message 105 of 195
JimWndr3700
Novice

They did a re-call on canned tuna (firmware).

Poster #1 says: I don't think they completely pull the tuna, I can still find it on the shelf, I'm eating it. (It might be there just for the tuna taste testers.)

Poster #2 says: I've been eating the tuna for 2 weeks and I'm still alive.

Poster #3 says: I wanna know why they pulled the tuna, I've been eating it for 1 week now and I'm getting sick, not sure if it's the tuna.

Poster #4 says: Where can I get some of this tuna? Will it taste different if I cook it a new way?

Poster #5 says: This is the best tuna ever!

We are all hungry for some fresh tuna, but something was in this batch that should not have been. Perhaps some new flavors were released to early that were slated for another can? Who knows, I'm not eating it for now. Good Luck to those that do.

Tuna Casserole:

My wife has not spoken to me in three days. I think it has something to do with what happened on Sunday night when she thought she heard a noise downstairs. She nudged me and whispered, "Wake up, wake up!"
"What's the matter?" I asked.
"There are burglars in the kitchen. I think they're eating the tuna casserole I made tonight."
"That'll teach them!" I replied.

Cheers,
Jim
Message 106 of 195
Simon0
Novice

@JimWndr3700: some people just have stronger stomach acids than others, hence botulism won't affect them 🙂 Just like firmware, if you use it only as an AP, then it won't matter much.

From reading the posts, it appears they may have a memory leak of some sort when running it for long periods or using certain features, a reset always fixes it it seems. I've practically given up on it as a router and use it as a dual-band AP.
Message 107 of 195
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

For me it has made a rock-solid never-failed Access Point, but most people buy it for its other features also.

Jim, nice story, but I don’t like Tuna, I use another supplier and my preference is salmon. 🙂
Message 108 of 195
peterde
Aspirant

I'm so tired of installing updates and finding out I have problems with dropouts. This is the third time I did this with different firmware. Now with 1.0.14.98 my iphone keeps losing connections. I am about to junk this thing and never get another netgear if they don't get their act together soon.
Message 109 of 195
neil0311
Aspirant

peterde wrote:
I'm so tired of installing updates and finding out I have problems with dropouts. This is the third time I did this with different firmware. Now with 1.0.14.98 my iphone keeps losing connections. I am about to junk this thing and never get another netgear if they don't get their act together soon.

Gotta agree that this "oops...not that version" stuff, where firmware is released only to be pulled shortly thereafter is getting a bit old, as is the unnecessary mystery surrounding the events.

I've been running 1.0.7.98NA which has actually done a great job. At this point, I think I'll stay there until I switch routers to something new. I'm taking the approach of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and 1.0.7.98NA isn't broken, at least for me and the features I use.

In case Netgear is paying attention, not sure I would buy another Netgear router either. While it's great when things work well, the support is lacking, and the firmware games do get old.
Message 110 of 195
jaypeesmith
Aspirant

This is just sad. I bought my router about 3 months ago. It's my fault, really. I bought this router in a rush because my previous one died on me. I immediately upgrade to 1.0.7.98NA and within a week or so, I kept having to reboot the router. I had to revert back to 1.0.4.68NA to just have a stable connection.

Now, I am reading that they had to pull the latest firmware update due to issues? Well, NetGear, you taught me a lesson -- the next time I am going with someone else.
Message 111 of 195
gahelm
Novice

After reverting back to the 7.98 version everything is running well with the exception of two things;

This router has been a disappointment from the beginning, I will never purchase Netgear equipment again.:mad:
Message 112 of 195
Transalp
Aspirant

gahelm wrote:
This router has been a disappointment from the beginning, I will never purchase Netgear equipment again.:mad:

Not for me. I have been using the router now for over one year with every update available. Excellent!! No problems at all. Remote desktop = perfect. Range wireless = great!! Thank you Netgear and keep up the good work! 😄
Message 113 of 195
Maltz
Aspirant

Transalp wrote:
Not for me. I have been using the router now for over one year with every update available. Excellent!! No problems at all. Remote desktop = perfect. Range wireless = great!! Thank you Netgear and keep up the good work! 😄

You must not be one of the poor folks who either:

1) installed the 6.98 firmware
2) use the USB port
3) Need Traffic Monitor
4) Installed bought a v2 when it first came out
5) installed 14.98 and had to reconfigure all your port-forwarding

I think I've made my point... 🙂
Message 114 of 195
Transalp
Aspirant

Maltz wrote:
You must not be one of the poor folks who either:

1) installed the 6.98 firmware
2) use the USB port
3) Need Traffic Monitor
4) Installed bought a v2 when it first came out
5) installed 14.98 and had to reconfigure all your port-forwarding

I think I've made my point... 🙂

Sorry :o, but to make it clear;

1) installed the 6.98 firmware No 14.98
2) use the USB port Do use that feature and is working properly, speed is an issue though
3) Need Traffic Monitor Don't use that feature, have unlimited internet use
4) Installed bought a v2 when it first came out Have a v1
5) installed 14.98 and had to reconfigure all your port-forwarding Just had to click it once and confirm. Yes, unfortunatly port-forwarding didn't function after the update

6) update allways by LAN directly connected to the router and just use the standard update feature in the UI.

Regards...:)
Message 115 of 195
Simon0
Novice

I don't really know if the traffic meter has been "fixed" as it caused so much headache on various firmwares versions when the wndr3700v1 1st came out. The USB feature should NOT be used, or used only lightly. If you even attempt more than 1 stream while using the wireless & wired & routing actively, it'll break the connection or lockup. I've tried using a download manager and pushing it slightly when it'll just freeze. It seems to have both CPU limitation and severe RAM limitations. It is nothing like a NAS that most of us are use to. It just does not have enough RAM for the OS to use for buffers.
Message 116 of 195
mroek
Aspirant

Anyone have any idea when we can expect a bugfixed version of this firmware? I really want some of the features it had (and the attached devices that apparently worked), but I am not sure if it is worth trying the version that was pulled.
Message 117 of 195
Transalp
Aspirant

mroek wrote:
Anyone have any idea when we can expect a bugfixed version of this firmware? I really want some of the features it had (and the attached devices that apparently worked), but I am not sure if it is worth trying the version that was pulled.

Just try it!....... For me it works!;)
Message 118 of 195
Scandy
Tutor

mroek, Netgear, like most manufacturers, does not release information on when they will release new firmware. We just have to wait until they release it...there is no other answer.
Message 119 of 195
Tank_Killer
Tutor

Or you could be mega cool and compile your own firmware!! write new drivers for the wireless while your at it!
Message 120 of 195
Simon0
Novice

The WNDR3700 appears to be using an older kernel which requires complicated backporting for various features in order to be fast on its limited hardware. Most 3rd party firmware has all moved on it seems.

Once Netgear stops supporting WNDR3700, the Gargoyle firmware looks like a very nice replacement ... as it more closely adheres to the OpenWRT code.
Message 121 of 195
therat
Aspirant

Well I'm another one with a positive vote for the pulled 1.0.14.98 firmware. My WNDR3700 has never been so reliable. Granted I don't use Port Forwarding or Usage Monitor but for me the important things like:

1. No more disconnections
2. Attached devices working
3. Great speed
4. Works for both LAN and Wireless, both bands.

Definitely the best firmware so far and a keeper for me.

cheers
Message 122 of 195
demichej
Aspirant

Can I find this firmware to download anymore? I can't seem to find it on netgear's site. If someone has it available, could they please send it to me?

Thanks.
Message 123 of 195
therat
Aspirant

demichej wrote:
Can I find this firmware to download anymore? I can't seem to find it on netgear's site. If someone has it available, could they please send it to me?

Thanks.

It's still on Netgear's ftp server

North America
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNDR3700-V1.0.14.98NA.img

or
rest of the world
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNDR3700-V1.0.14.98.img
Message 124 of 195
mroek
Aspirant

I've now updated to the pulled firmware, and it went smooth. Only issue so far was re-entering the port forwarding settings (which is a known problem), but after that it seems to work. I am not using USB or traffic metering, so I am hoping this firmware will work for me. In particular I am hoping that the DNS issue has been resolved. Time will show, I guess.
Message 125 of 195
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E