New Firmware Posted: WNDR3700/WNDR37AV Firmware Version 1.0.14.98

Simon0
Novice

Re: New Firmware Posted: WNDR3700/WNDR37AV Firmware Version 1.0.14.98

The upper channels are allowed to transmit at a MUCH higher power level. Unless your client adapter can't properly tune to the upper channels and get decent speeds, then you should use the higher powered channels. You should be getting about 10MB/s or 80Mbps, at close range using eg a Linksys USB AE1000, which RAlink based. Rates should drop as you start transferring because "interference" is generated along with usable data, but I find USB adapters to have very lousy antennas... A laptop with nicely spaced antennas with sometimes get you 20MB/s at close range of course and with precise placement...
Message 151 of 195
demichej
Aspirant

I'm still so confused about this whole thread. Why is it Sticky? The link that is supplied in the very beginning no longer goes to the updated Firmware. According to Netgear support, the 1.0.14.98 version of firmware was pulled.

Why is this thread still a Sticky one if the version doesn't exist?
Message 152 of 195
bigjoelee
Aspirant

because people got it, use it, and love it, therefore they like to talk about it.
Joseph
Message 153 of 195
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

demichej wrote:

It's in a rather strange state, not pointed to where you might expect, but still available as per post #124;

http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.php?p=353679&postcount=124
Message 154 of 195
NightOwl326
Luminary

For those that have been running 1.0.14.98, do you see any advantages over1.0.7.98?
Message 155 of 195
therat
Aspirant

NightOwl326 wrote:
For those that have been running 1.0.14.98, do you see any advantages over1.0.7.98?

Definitely. No more dropouts, faster speeds and the attached devices works.
Message 156 of 195
Tank_Killer
Tutor

Hopefully we will see a variant of this firmware soon! There are some features in .14.98 that look great!
Message 157 of 195
solster
Aspirant

NightOwl326 wrote:

I decided to bite the bullet and find improved USB read-speeds as one of the immediate benefits. Just hoping any of the more basic functions and reliability are at least as good or better than 7.98, although I'm not entirely sure why Netgear decided against publicizing 14.98 and is instead working on a newer version(?)
Message 158 of 195
Scandy
Tutor

I finally decided to try this version today. So far it is looking pretty good. Web pages seem to load a little faster than previous versions. Of the last four firmware releases, this one is working the best for me.
Message 159 of 195
SFischer1
Aspirant

Simon0 wrote:
The upper channels are allowed to transmit at a MUCH higher power level. Unless your client adapter can't properly tune to the upper channels and get decent speeds, then you should use the higher powered channels. You should be getting about 10MB/s or 80Mbps, at close range using eg a Linksys USB AE1000, which RAlink based. Rates should drop as you start transferring because "interference" is generated along with usable data, but I find USB adapters to have very lousy antennas... A laptop with nicely spaced antennas with sometimes get you 20MB/s at close range of course and with precise placement...

Hi,

I have been testing using my Sony VGN-FZ485U with 5 G built in where I saw faster rates before the firmware upgrade in the router. I did get one transfer ~ 8 MHz but most are ~ 5 MHz. Much worse than what I remember from before the firmware upgrade. 3 GB file size minimum from BlackArmor NAS 220 which transfers ~ 50 MHz rates hardwireded to my HTPC.

Using one of my two Netgear WDNA3100 v2 USB adapters on my backup HTPC I get similar poor results, AND a wave form in task manger not to believed. I do get almost flat line charts at times.

I have tried various 5 G channels with no improvement and there are no other 5 G channel radios that are near.

I have my 2.4 G radio on auto but I remember from the past that using channel 6 gives the best results, but then there also is a memory that using either end is better.

I have not any seen and similar recommendations other than yours about 5 G yet.

SHF
Message 160 of 195
Simon0
Novice

SFischer1 wrote:
Hi,

I have been testing using my Sony VGN-FZ485U with 5 G built in where I saw faster rates before the firmware upgrade in the router. I did get one transfer ~ 8 MHz but most are ~ 5 MHz. Much worse than what I remember from before the firmware upgrade. 3 GB file size minimum from BlackArmor NAS 220 which transfers ~ 50 MHz rates hardwireded to my HTPC.

Using one of my two Netgear WDNA3100 v2 USB adapters on my backup HTPC I get similar poor results, AND a wave form in task manger not to believed. I do get almost flat line charts at times.

I have tried various 5 G channels with no improvement and there are no other 5 G channel radios that are near.

I have my 2.4 G radio on auto but I remember from the past that using channel 6 gives the best results, but then there also is a memory that using either end is better.

I have not any seen and similar recommendations other than yours about 5 G yet.

SHF

Hi, an article I found says:

There are now four bands in 5 GHz channelized for 802.11 in the US, although they're numbered somewhat strangely. In brief, there is total of 555 MHz across 23 channels in 802.11a/n. The lower four are indoor only; the higher 19 are indoor/outdoor. The lowest four (5.15 to 5.25 GHz) can have 50 mW of output power, the next four (5.25 GHz to 5.35 GHz), 250 mW; the next 11 (5.47 to 5.725 GHz), 250 mW; and the top four (5.725 to 5.825 GHz) up to 1 W. (There are further restrictions on 5.25 GHz to 5.725 GHz in terms of detecting and avoiding stepping on military radar transmissions, which share those bands. And the 802.11a spec specifies 40 mW/200 mW/800 mW instead of 50, 250, and 1,000, just to make it even more complicated.)

Make sure your using 40MHz width, and using an upper, higher powered channel and things should improve. Make sure you also try it on more than one adapter that does 300Mbps dual band. Many adapters on the market do not it seems.

good luck..
Message 161 of 195
SFischer1
Aspirant

Simon0 wrote:
Hi, an article I found says:

Hi,

Link or title for "Search.com"?

SHF
Message 162 of 195
Simon0
Novice

I new of the matter of power levels originally from wikipedia.com but I forgot the exact link/article. It is at: http://wifinetnews.com/archives/2007/01/5_ghz_or_bust.html

Or, simply search for the 1st sentence in the article I quote from... It's a rather old archived article though, but the regulations still hasn't changed much.

You should also understand that quite a few adapters that claims 2.4/5GHz dual band but can only BARELY connect at 5GHz. I have some 1st generation 300mbps Atheros PCIe Atheros Dual band cards that are like that. Best to Test using notebook in-built dual band card. or something like the Linksys AE1000 ~$40US. I saw some WDNA3100 v2 at a local retailer and all were reburbished../ returns.. so might try different adapter from a retailer with good return policies.
Message 163 of 195
SFischer1
Aspirant

Simon0 wrote:
... http://wifinetnews.com/archives/2007/01/5_ghz_or_bust.html

Hi,

Skimming that, I quickly came to the conclusion that my idea is correct.

The firmware we are discussing, and perhaps versions that I have skipped, have produced lower transfer rates for 5 G just like my testing is showing.

The 5 G channels we have are curious numbers when compared with the article.

Can we go back to old firmware versions?

I only have lost with my attempts to get "N" on 2.4 G band which only my new Sony VPCF1390X CTO has.

I have had to go to 54 MHz max. rates for other equipment anyway.

SHF
Message 164 of 195
NightOwl326
Luminary

SFischer1 wrote:
Hi,

Can we go back to old firmware versions?

SHF

Yes: http://support.netgear.com/app/products/family/a_id/17702

Under downloads, "show all versions" have prior firmwares to download and install.

Would love to see you run same tests on prior firmware!
Message 165 of 195
neil0311
Aspirant

demichej wrote:
I'm still so confused about this whole thread. Why is it Sticky? The link that is supplied in the very beginning no longer goes to the updated Firmware. According to Netgear support, the 1.0.14.98 version of firmware was pulled.

Has there every been clarity around WHY this version was pulled? Is this going to be just another case of release a version, pull it, and let the masses speculate?

Anyone know WHY the folks at Netgear AGAIN released and pulled a version?
Message 166 of 195
StaticFree
Tutor

neil0311 wrote:
Has there every been clarity around WHY this version was pulled? Is this going to be just another case of release a version, pull it, and let the masses speculate?

Anyone know WHY the folks at Netgear AGAIN released and pulled a version?

I am still waiting for them to release the new firmware for this WNDR3700V1. The support rep that I was dealing with about a month ago last said that they would be releasing a new firmware soon. But it looks like it was just BS. He said that they only pulled the last firmware 1.0.14.98NA because of some Russian language translation issues. That's all. I asked him if there was any concern for me to keep using this latest pulled firmware (e.g. - security holes, issues, etc.) He said no concern. All he said was that it was pulled due to some issues with the Russian language translation. Should we belive that? If it was simply a Russian language translation issue, surely it would have been easily fixed by now and re-released... but not!

I can say though that I have been running this pulled firmware since it was released and had no crashes at all. Seems to have fixed that Time Warner RR DNS name resolution WAN hangup that was on firmware 1.0.7.98NA. So I am still on 1.0.14.98NA without issues for my usage. I don't have any missing "attached devices" in the status page, seems to work okay. Only I do see in the LAN settings page that some of my devices are flagged as "Unknown" for the hostnames. I think that may be a bug. But that's it. Works solid for connectivity.
Message 167 of 195
KGB7
Aspirant

There is one good and one not so good changes about this firmware.

The not so good, is my 2.4Ghz signal strength has dropped by about 5%.

The good part, is that my WAN speed has increased by 5Mbp/s. I have tested this over the past week, and the results are consistent.

And everything else is the same.
Message 168 of 195
KGB7
Aspirant

I noticed two small issues with this firmware.

Router is running a little hotter. And i lose internet connection once a day for about a min.
Message 169 of 195
effkay
Aspirant

Just updated to 14.98 and I'm wondering about something with regards to the enhanced port forwarding features. Being able to map an external port to a different internal port would be really nice and that alone was the reason I decided to try the latest, pulled firmware.

What I don't understand is why I'm not allowed to map different external ports to the same internal port as long as the IP-addresses are different. For instance, I want to map external port 1234 to internal 5900 for ip A. Then I want to map external port 4321 to internal port 5900 for ip B. This is disallowed by the Netgear GUI. It says that "The specified port(s) are being used by other configurations."

Am I missing something obvious here or is this just a limitation that makes no sense what so ever? :confused:
Message 170 of 195
Frippi
Aspirant

@effkay, I even contacted Netgear support on this port forwarding issue. I had to prove them that it is normal and should be possible to do so. Not sure if they've understood me in the end. Anyway, what you can do is just add necessary rules and use any debugging tools (firebug, dev tools in chrome e.t.c) to skip port validation in browser. After that everything works fine.
Message 171 of 195
SkykingUSA
Novice

Here's goes nothing. I looked at the OpenWRT page and it looks way too complicated for me right now, so I'm going to try the 14.98 firmware first. All I'm looking to do it avoid having to power cycle the router every week or so. I use some port forwarding, no media streaming, USB drive for simple file sharing, no traffic monitoring, and still get constand disconnections at least once per week with DNS issues. Wish me luck! If 14.98 doesn't solve my reconnection problems, I may have to spend some time learning how to use the OpenWRT firmware. Thanks for all the helpful info in this thread! It's great that the community rallies together to provide a crutch to Netgear who can't seem to resolve some basic issues with their supposedly "great" product.
Message 172 of 195
KevTech
Tutor

SkykingUSA wrote:
Here's goes nothing. I looked at the OpenWRT page and it looks way too complicated for me right now, so I'm going to try the 14.98 firmware first.

Could try the full featured build of OpenWrt.

Thread about features and download link can be found by CLICKING HERE

Builds for WNDR3700v1 and v2.

As for flashing I have had success just flashing through the Netgear GUI instead of TFTP.
Message 173 of 195
SkykingUSA
Novice

Thanks, that's where I looked, but didn't realize I wouldn't have to do a bunch of command line stuff afterwards. I will try it then, after I give the 14.98 a go! Thanks for the guidance.
Message 174 of 195
StaticFree
Tutor

Bump!
Hello Negear, can you please let us know what is the status of the new next firmware release? Are you working on a new release or going to leave us hanging?
Message 175 of 195
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E