Latest firmware v1.0.16.98

😄
Message 177 of 195
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Re: New Firmware Posted: WNDR3700/WNDR37AV Firmware Version 1.0.14.98

StaticFree wrote:
Bump!
Hello Negear, can you please let us know what is the status of the new next firmware release? Are you working on a new release or going to leave us hanging?

Netgear have never made an offical anouncement on these wireless forums, can't speak for other forum areas since I tend to stick with this area.
Message 178 of 195
SkykingUSA
Novice

SkykingUSA wrote:
Thanks, that's where I looked, but didn't realize I wouldn't have to do a bunch of command line stuff afterwards. I will try it then, after I give the 14.98 a go! Thanks for the guidance.

Well, I tried 14.98 and it did work better, but not perfect. I copied and scanned a bunch of stuff on my USB drive, but the router still eventually locked up and needed a restart. It just took longer for it to happen.

Next steps for me:
1) Try the Open WRT firmware.
2) If #1 doesn't work, then I'll go back to the latest supported firmware from Netgear and try disconnecting my USB drive altogether. I bought this router so I could use it as a NAS device among other things, so it sure would be a shame if I have to do this.

I'll try to keep you folks in the loop here after I try this. Thanks again for the info and the community help!
Message 179 of 195
Stilly
Aspirant

Dalmo wrote:
Latest firmware v1.0.16.98

😄

Nice, Thanks for sharing. Let's hope this is the one. :confused:
Message 180 of 195
howardagoldberg
Aspirant

Of course they released 1.0.16.98 this morning! Last night, after several weeks of trying to figure out the cause of my intermittent disconnects, loss of bandwidth, etc., I "downgraded" to 1.0.7.98 using the reset-reload-reset-manual settings enter routine. I will wait for some field reports before upgrading to 16. Argh. 😉
Message 181 of 195
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Message 182 of 195
Darkev
Aspirant

I just upgraded to 1.0.16.98. I hope it works perfectly. I'll report anything I find that doesn't appear correct.
Message 183 of 195
SkykingUSA
Novice

SkykingUSA wrote:
Well, I tried 14.98 and it did work better, but not perfect. I copied and scanned a bunch of stuff on my USB drive, but the router still eventually locked up and needed a restart. It just took longer for it to happen.

Next steps for me:
1) Try the Open WRT firmware.
2) If #1 doesn't work, then I'll go back to the latest supported firmware from Netgear and try disconnecting my USB drive altogether. I bought this router so I could use it as a NAS device among other things, so it sure would be a shame if I have to do this.

I'll try to keep you folks in the loop here after I try this. Thanks again for the info and the community help!

Just wanted to update everyone. I didn't bother with any more Netgear firmware, I went straight to the Open WRT firmware and my router has not locked up or needed a reboot in about 2 weeks (since I installed the new firmware). So far, so good. Only complaint is that the interface is much more complicated than the generic Netgear interface, and I have not figured out how to use the guest wireless networks, nor how to properly set up my port forwarding rules, but everything I really use is working and I'd rather have a stable router with USB shared drive than one with more features and needs rebooting every few days!

Thanks Open WRT, for filling in the blanks that Netgear could not for me. One other thing - my wireless access is not as strong at the far end of the house as before, but still strong enough to connect and work, so it's not a deal breaker.
Message 184 of 195
Jobster
Aspirant

d/l 16.98, and installed on both main 3700 router as well as the 3700 that I use as AP. No problems at all, runs liek a charm and noticably faster than the 7.98 I had installed. For me this is the best one sofar.
Message 185 of 195
Darkev
Aspirant

It works like a charm bracelet. That's groovy. Hey can you perform a test for us Jobster? Create a schedule for your wireless to shutdown at midnight and turn back on at 6 am. Then shut off at 8 am and back on at 3 pm and let us know how that worked. Also, use the Port Forwarding to connect remote VoIP phones. Reboot the router and tell me if those phones ever re-connect. I'd be interested in seeing if yours works with those tests because mine sure doesn't.
Message 186 of 195
davejo
Novice

Jobster wrote:
d/l 16.98, and installed on both main 3700 router as well as the 3700 that I use as AP. No problems at all, runs liek a charm and noticably faster than the 7.98 I had installed. For me this is the best one sofar.

I agree with that...just updated to 16.98 and no problems at the moment. All existing settings have remained as previous firmware.

If anything occurs I will let you all know
Message 187 of 195
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Jobster wrote:
After several hours are you still able to log in to the AP 3700 WEB_UI page? Assuming you're using that option.
Message 188 of 195
Darkev
Aspirant

It is easy to figure out how poor firmware gets released to the general public. There seems to be a lot of "stamps of approval" on software that is not properly tested. The basic functionality seems to work, but anything outside of plain vanilla seems to have issues. So people installing the firmware who say it's working 100% great, are obviously not testing every aspect of the firmware. Companies hiring people like that to do testing end up trusting them and putting out buggy firmware. Within 12 hours I identified 4 major bugs with this firmware. Who's testing this stuff at Netgear I wonder?
Message 189 of 195
IconMan
Aspirant

Darkev wrote:
Within 12 hours I identified 4 major bugs with this firmware. Who's testing this stuff at Netgear I wonder?

Out of curiosity, would you care to elaborate on what these 4 major bugs are? I'd really like to know.
Message 190 of 195
Darkev
Aspirant

All you have to do is read through the pages of issues here. To summarize the 4 things I found: - The wireless scheduling. I set this to come on at 5 am, go off at 6:30 am. Then come on at 3 pm and go off at 11 pm. I got home from work at 3:30 pm to find no wireless connection. Going into the settings I saw the 3 pm on schedule never executed. - Port forwarding does not work properly. Devices will not reconnect on the far end if the router is rebooted. Switching back to version 1.0.14.98 and it works fine. Although there is a slight bug with the GUI port forwarding from/to ports in 1.0.14.98. - The router would not login to Dynamic DNS. My user I'd and password were there, but it would not register after the upgrade. I re-keyed the password and it started working again. For some reason the password was scrambled during the update. - Plugging in my USB thumb drive worked initially, but the router locked up twice while accessing this drive. It's the same drive I've used with 1.0.14.98 and no jamming occurred. So there you have it.
Message 191 of 195
Jobster
Aspirant

Darkev wrote:
It works like a charm bracelet. That's groovy.

Hey can you perform a test for us Jobster? Create a schedule for your wireless to shutdown at midnight and turn back on at 6 am. Then shut off at 8 am and back on at 3 pm and let us know how that worked.

Also, use the Port Forwarding to connect remote VoIP phones. Reboot the router and tell me if those phones ever re-connect.

I'd be interested in seeing if yours works with those tests because mine sure doesn't.

wireless shutdown performed today, no issues here. I don't have any VoIP phones so can't help with that one. I use the international version btw, not the NA.
cheers
Message 192 of 195
Darkev
Aspirant

My schedule worked for the first time period. It's the second period that shutdown the wireless permanently. IE: Midnight shutdown, back on at 6 am - works ok. 8 am shutdown, back on at 3 pm - this is where it fails. At 3 pm it doesn't come on - ever!
Message 193 of 195
Jobster
Aspirant

Darkev wrote:
My schedule worked for the first time period. It's the second period that shutdown the wireless permanently. IE:

Midnight shutdown, back on at 6 am - works ok.
8 am shutdown, back on at 3 pm - this is where it fails. At 3 pm it doesn't come on - ever!

Weird, no probs here though, still running although the kids start complaining, so I will go back to normal again tomorrow (after 3pm)
Message 194 of 195
Perenor
Aspirant

Hi all,

I've tried this version a week now. I got disconnects approximately two or three times a day. I didn't even bother to install 1.0.16.98, having read the remarks on the thread about that version.

Yesterday it even got worse. I switched from an ADSL provider to a cable provider. At first everything seemed to be fine. But 2 hours after that my connection went almost completely down. Only thing that worked for me was MSN. But even that gave up after another 2 hours or so. And I couldn't get a connection anymore. Been working on that all thay, in cooperation with customer support of my new cable provider. Because of the disconnects I've had over the ADSL connection, I decided to downgrade to V1.0.4.68 yesterday evening around 9 PM. And guess what happened. I could connect immediately. And the connection hasn't been down since.

I hope Netgear spends more effort on their firmwares. But my experience in that respect is not very positive. Also being an owner of the EVA9150, which got a very bad support, imho.

Anyway - I'm glad my connection is up and running again. I just wanted u all to inform you about this.

Regards, Perenor.
Message 195 of 195
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E