Highlighted
Guide

New Firmware V1.0.1.36_1.0.63

I just downloaded and installed firmware V1.0.1.36_1.0.63 using the router's update function. I was notified of the update via the Netgear Genie. The firmware is not yet available from Netgear's Support pages for the N900. Release Notes: 1. Improve time machine backup speed 2. Fix ReadyShare cloud bug with mobile devices
Message 1 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: New Firmware V1.0.1.36_1.0.63

I updated this new firmware using method 4 step 3 of the page with VPN case study:

Push the reset button at the back of the router and release after 30 seconds. Unplug the power adapter for 10 seconds and then plug it back in.

After doing this, it again resulted in a "bricked router":
Router Power LED Blinks Slowly and Router No Longer Works.

I only could use the router again after this helpfile:

To install the latest firmware:

1. Connect your router to a computer by plugging one end of an Ethernet Cable into any of the four LAN ports on the back of your router.

2. Configure the computer with a static IP address of 192.168.1.2 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.
a. From the Start button, select Control Panel > Network Connections.
b. Right click Local Area Connection and select Properties.
c. Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
d. In the IP Configuration page, select the Use the following IP address check box and enter the IP address and subnet mask above.
* Linux and Mac: Use Linux and Mac instructions to set the computer with static IP.

3. Open a command window if you are using Windows PC. For Linux/Mac users, use a TFTP client.
On Windows 7: From the Start button, go to the Search box, type cmd and press Enter.
On Windows XP: From Start > Run, type cmd and press Enter.

4. Find and install your firmware.
a. Use the cd command to navigate to the directory/folder containing the router firmware.
b. Run the command tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put firmware_filename, where firmware_filename is the actual name of the firmware file.
*Linux or Mac: Download and run anf TFTP client available for your operating system.

5. Wait several minutes for the router to save the new firmware, then reboot the router. The power LED will glow a steady green once the firmware is successfully installed.

6. Reset the router to factory default settings by using a paperclip or similar to hold in the Reset button for 30 seconds.

7. Set the computer to acquire a dynamic IP by following the directions in step 2a-c and selecting the Obtain an IP address automatically option instead.

8. Open a browser and log on to the router (192.168.1.1, userid : admin , password : password), click on Setup Wizard, and follow the on-screen instructions to configure the router.

Document Type:
Knowledge Base > Troubleshooting & Problem Resolution

Published 03/31/2011 03:45 PM | Updated 04/19/2013 06:53 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So, is there an easier way to update the new downloaded firmware?
I think that updating this router sometimes looks more diffucult than my old Linksys WRTG54GL...

Is this recommended?:

I just downloaded and installed firmware V1.0.1.36_1.0.63 using the router's update function.
Message 2 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

I just upgraded over wireless without an issue or reset.

thats how i roll!
Message 3 of 29
Highlighted
Guide

server666 wrote:
Is this recommended?: I just downloaded and installed firmware V1.0.1.36_1.0.63 using the router's update function.
I usually "LAN-update" my router using the firmware file downloaded from the Netgear Support web site. I use a computer that is "wired" directly to the router to avoid any issues. I'd not recommend updating using the "Internet-update" function of the router as ISP issues or Internet congestion issues can affect the process. I did it late last night as I could not get the firmware file from Netgear. I had no issues with the update, but you mileage might vary.
Message 4 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for responding guys.

Are there more people on the forum who can react on this topic?
Message 5 of 29
Highlighted

server666 wrote:
Thanks for responding guys.

Are there more people on the forum who can react on this topic?

Hi... what type of feedback are you looking for exactly?

Updating over wireless is risky. While it's possible, the safest way to perform a flash is via a wired connection.

You do not need to use TFTP. Most only use this method on a "bricked" piece of hardware that is unresponsive or does not boot.

The only suggested step that I too recommend is resetting to default settings after a flash. This ensures that any new features appear properly and are configurable.

Using TFTP can help to mitigate what risk does exist when flashing, but its more a matter of preference. Flashing itself is inherently risky.

My feeling is this. Don't fix what isn't broken. If you're stable, you don't need to upgrade. Flashing for any device, MB, router, phone, etc only needs to be done to fix something that doesn't work. Examples: add support for new CPU, update routing table, patch security flaw, improve wireless performance or battery life. Thus far, I haven't seen anything in 1.0.1.36 that warrants upgrade from where I am now. I'm stable.
~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.62 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 6 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

shadowsports wrote:
Hi... what type of feedback are you looking for exactly?

Updating over wireless is risky. While it's possible, the safest way to perform a flash is via a wired connection.

You do not need to use TFTP. Most only use this method on a "bricked" piece of hardware that is unresponsive or does not boot.

The only suggested step that I too recommend is resetting to default settings after a flash. This ensures that any new features appear properly and are configurable.

Using TFTP can help to mitigate what risk does exist when flashing, but its more a matter of preference. Flashing itself is inherently risky.

My feeling is this. Don't fix what isn't broken. If you're stable, you don't need to upgrade. Flashing for any device, MB, router, phone, etc only needs to be done to fix something that doesn't work. Examples: add support for new CPU, update routing table, patch security flaw, improve wireless performance or battery life. Thus far, I haven't seen anything in 1.0.1.36 that warrants upgrade from where I am now. I'm stable.

Hi Shadowsports,

I was looking for information how you guys did there firmware-upgrade proces, because i Always enden up with a sort of bricked wndr4500. Only after tftp-ing all was well.

So: download firmware - flash from within router section - set back to default settings directly - adjust your own settings - and go?:rolleyes:
Message 7 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Go to justanswer.com and ask DrKlahn for help, he solved my netgear router problem in 5 minutes.Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

server666 wrote:
Hi Shadowsports,

I was looking for information how you guys did there firmware-upgrade proces, because i Always enden up with a sort of bricked wndr4500. Only after tftp-ing all was well.

So: download firmware - flash from within router section - set back to default settings directly - adjust your own settings - and go?:rolleyes:

You don't even need to separately download the firmware. The router's built in interface will check to see if a new version is available and download and install it automatically.
Message 9 of 29
Highlighted

server666 wrote:
Hi Shadowsports, I was looking for information how you guys did there firmware-upgrade proces, because i Always enden up with a sort of bricked wndr4500. Only after tftp-ing all was well. So: download firmware - flash from within router section - set back to default settings directly - adjust your own settings - and go?:rolleyes:
Thats it. You always want to be flashing with a file stored locally and over a wired connection. When you use a "live update" over wireless you are introducing two potential points of failure. One being delivery of the file from an internet location, and the other flashing over a local wireless network. If either of these streams is interrupted, the result is usually an incomplete or corrupt flash. If you want to do it strictly by the book, TFTP from a command prompt is considered to be the most safe.

Message 10 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

I normally download the FW and manually upgrade. However as the FW is not online yet I decided to let the router do the work. Just upgraded and everything appears to be working or I wouldn't be typing this.

Not much to say other then everything appears to be working, but I wasn't having any problems before.
Message 11 of 29
Highlighted
Guide

here's a manual download link for the new firmware

ftp://updates1.netgear.com/wndr4500/us/WNDR4500-V1.0.1.36_1.0.63.chk

here is the link for the latest version downloads in the future...
ftp://updates1.netgear.com/wndr4500/us
Message 12 of 29
Highlighted

I let the router update itself and it works.
Message 13 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanking everybody for assisting me on this topic.
Message 14 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

I recently upgraded to 1.0.1.36_1.0.63 using the built-in upgrade tools, and as has always been the case, the update ran and completed cleanly. I haven't noticed any issues (or benefits) since the FW upgrade until this evening.
I had to upload a 100MB file to both YouTube and DropBox (at separate times), and the transfer time ended up being 30 minutes. During the transfer, my entire network came to a screeching halt, and I couldn't even load a simple page like Google. My connection is cable 15MB Down, 1MB Up.
Has anyone seen any issues along this line?
Message 15 of 29
Highlighted

Dear Tamanco: What exact product does this update apply to? Personally I have 3 Netgear products that have firmware, but the main router is a N6300. I use this with both windows and Fedora (Linux) the latter in both 32 and 64 bit.

tamanaco wrote:
I just downloaded and installed firmware V1.0.1.36_1.0.63 using the router's update function. I was notified of the update via the Netgear Genie. The firmware is not yet available from Netgear's Support pages for the N900.

Release Notes:
1. Improve time machine backup speed
2. Fix ReadyShare cloud bug with mobile devices
Message 16 of 29
Highlighted
Guide

Bruce_from_Canada wrote:
Dear Tamanco: What exact product does this update apply to? Personally I have 3 Netgear products that have firmware, but the main router is a N6300. I use this with both windows and Fedora (Linux) the latter in both 32 and 64 bit.

This update applies to the WNDR4500 (N900) and it's now available in the official Netgear firmware download site for this router here.
Message 17 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

I updated my firmware to this version 3 different times with the exact same problem, 5GHz signal can no longer reach laptop in other room and stability of connection is poor. Not sure if others are having problems but I reverted back to previous FW version and signal strength and stability of connection is great. Even on Comcast.speedtest.com it get the normal +50mbps download/10mbps upload speed. Not sure the benefit to new FW but I will not update to that version again.
Message 18 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

I recommend not upgrading to this firmware version until you read this:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=85179

— Charles
Message 19 of 29
Highlighted

My laptop and other wireless devices don't have any issues connecting to either band with this firmware.
Message 20 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Does this apply to the WNDR4500v2 as well? When I go into my router and check for updates, it says no new firmware version available. I have 1.0.0.36_1.0.21.

Thanks,

Bill
Message 21 of 29
Highlighted

Yes. If you are stable on 1.0.1.20 as I have been for the last 8 months, don't upgrade. Firmware upgrades are only needed to fix a specific problem or compatibility issue, or to add support or enhance features.

If your stable, stay where you're at and enjoy your router.Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

I guess I'm confused. My router says it is using 1.0.0.36_1.0.21, not 20.

Bill
Message 23 of 29
Highlighted

V1 f/w is currently 1.0.1.36_1.0.63 V2 f/w is 1.0.0.36 with the initial release being 1.0.0.26 This thread is specific to the v1 hardware.... which is why you have 1.0.0.36... if you have that, you have the latest F/W for your router.

Message 24 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

shadowsports,

Thanks for the clarification. I think I understand now.

Bill
Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements