Reply

New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

mjdenham
Aspirant

New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

I have upgraded and have no obvious problems.

Has anybody found the release notes?

Martin
Message 1 of 17
waiting485
Aspirant

Re: New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

Here are the release notes.

WNDR3800 V1.0.0.34 firmware release:
Note:
--If your current firmware level is v1.0.0.18, when you upgrade, the router will return to its factory default settings and you will not be able to restore your backup settings. This is due to a known issue with the v1.0.0.18 firmware.
--Before you upgrade, NETGEAR recommends that you write down your Internet settings and also your wireless settings if you changed them. After the upgrade you can use NETGEAR Genie to detect and set up your Internet
connection, or you can manually enter the settings.
Bug fix:
1. In V1.0.0.32 version, when doing copy file to NTFS USB disk, the file might be corrupted. We remove this NTFS write enhancement to prevent this issue. If we really fix this file corrupted issue in the future, we will add this NTFS
write enhancement feature back.
Known issues & bugs
1. Time Machine function limitation:
--Time Machine function limitation: Only support "GUID Partition Table" and "Master Boot Record" in partition table format.
We don't support "Apple Partition Map" this format.
Workaround: When you choose the partition scheme of your USB disk, please don't select "Apple Partition Map" this format.
--For Non-journal system, support Time Machine backup size up to 1 TB.
--For Journal system+ MBR partition table, support Time Machine backup size up to 800 GB.
--For Journal system+ GUID partition table, support Time Machine backup size up to 500 GB.
-- We suggest customer to use the new USB disk to do Time Machine backup. If customer uses the USB disk which already include the old Time Machine backup file, WNDR3800 might need spend time to scan/valid the old backup
file is ok to be used or not and customer need to wait for couple minutes or even a hours.
2. Traffic meter - Traffic volume control is not accurate due to sampling rate. It may exceed the limit.
Workaround: Set a proper number in "Mbytes before the monthly limit is reached" in the traffic control.
Message 2 of 17
mediatrek
Virtuoso

Re: New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

I upgrade to the v1.0.0.34 firmware and am experiencing a drop in my 2.4Ghz wireless throughput speeds by roughly 35%. I never experienced the wireless drops that some had in pre-1.0.0.32 firmware versions; however I did have this same throughput speed drop with the public release beta firmware 1.0.0.25. I will run a few more tests in the morning to see what might be going on. If I can't find out I plan on rolling back to v1.0.0.32.

Just FYI: my laptop is using a Intel 6205 card running driver version 15.1.0.18.
Message 3 of 17
pruncie
Aspirant

Re: New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

I upgraded to .34 and found that now the Attached Devices list is more complete than it used to be but it is not displaying MAC addresses properly. It is show the same MAC address for different devices.
Message 4 of 17
benjosevilla
Novice

Re: New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

I jumped from .24 to .34 upgrade and did not experience any issue during the update. All the settings seems to be there. I also turned on the Zixi video engine that was posted here http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=74791
Message 5 of 17
vgtaluskie
Aspirant

Re: New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

I am trying to get the promised TimeMachine support working between Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and the WDNR3800. I keep finding that support of MacOSX Extending Journaled does not appear to work reliably. I have a printer and disk sharing USB hub attached to the USB port on the router.

I came across a FAQ entry that suggested first backing up locally via timemachine before setting the USB drive up with the 3800. I've done so twice and run into issues with filesystem corruption, which another poster mentioned as well occuring ironically from using the "Safely Remove USB Devices" link in the Netgear Genie web-interface....

I have already upgraded to the 1.0.034 firmware and complete two different timemachine backups to this partition, each time getting corrupted after being attached to the router. I saw another user report that the WDNR3800 "works better" with a non-Journaled OSX extended filesystem, however local time machine backups automatically add the journal to the disk so I'm believing that they will again get corrupted once the disk gets plugged into the router.

The support does not seem solid at this point. I would be glad to try some beta firmware if you want a tester - kinda feel like that's what I've been doing anyway Smiley Happy I'm going to go back to using SuperDuper sparsebundle image to a mounted drive for the time being, which is too bad - would've liked the TimeMachine support to be there.

Vince
Message 6 of 17
vgtaluskie
Aspirant

Re: New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

I tried one more option and reformatted a new partition as OSX Extended (non-journaled) and attached it to the WNDR3800 as an empty filesystem with no local timemachine backup attempted.

This does appear to work for backing up with Time machine over the network but is kinda slow (peaking at ~2.4MB/s) - so it will take 25 more hours to complete my initial backup. Might try wired network connection next or look at removing the journal after timemachine has its way with my filesystem before attaching to the 3800. BTW, nice router netgear just having issues with this one area involving corruption...

regards,

Vince
Message 7 of 17
smacks
Aspirant

Re: New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

mediatrek wrote:
I upgrade to the v1.0.0.34 firmware and am experiencing a drop in my 2.4Ghz wireless throughput speeds by roughly 35%. I never experienced the wireless drops that some had in pre-1.0.0.32 firmware versions; however I did have this same throughput speed drop with the public release beta firmware 1.0.0.25. I will run a few more tests in the morning to see what might be going on. If I can't find out I plan on rolling back to v1.0.0.32.

Just FYI: my laptop is using a Intel 6205 card running driver version 15.1.0.18.




I am in this same spot. I have RR Extreme 30/5 and my wireless speeds (as tested by speedtest.net) were always 29.??/4.?? with the old firmware

I too recently upgraded the firmware to .32 and my wireless speeds dropped by around 30-35% on 2.4? My wireless card is an intel 5100. I never really had any dropout issues either.

If I use a wired connection it is still 30/5. My other devices PS3/Directv box is also lagging now on wireless (worse than the laptops) and it was taking forever to DL movies and PS3 update took over 45 minutes.

I now have rolled back the firmware to .18 and all seems to be fine. Tonight if I have some time I will try to bump it up again to .25 and see what happens.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the issues with .32 firmware?
Message 8 of 17
smacks
Aspirant

Re: New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

Just a further note... I too did not follow the directions and updated the firmware using a wireless connections.
Message 9 of 17
mediatrek
Virtuoso

Re: New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

smacks wrote:
I am in this same spot. I have RR Extreme 30/5 and my wireless speeds (as tested by speedtest.net) were always 29.??/4.?? with the old firmware

I too recently upgraded the firmware to .32 and my wireless speeds dropped by around 30-35% on 2.4? My wireless card is an intel 5100. I never really had any dropout issues either.

If I use a wired connection it is still 30/5. My other devices PS3/Directv box is also lagging now on wireless (worse than the laptops) and it was taking forever to DL movies and PS3 update took over 45 minutes.

I now have rolled back the firmware to .18 and all seems to be fine. Tonight if I have some time I will try to bump it up again to .25 and see what happens.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the issues with .32 firmware?



I should have posted an update, but two days after the update my 2.4Ghz connect speeds went back to what they were prior under other firmware releases and have stayed working well. I do not test my speeds based on my cable internet connection has cable is a shared connection and can fluctuate as a result. I look at what can be transferred with read & write speeds between my NAS after a fresh reboot and my laptop.

I also do not let the router “AUTO” set the channels it uses. I will use a program like inSSIDer to see what is used least between 1, 6 or 11. For some reason Netgear routers like to “AUTO” set channels that overlap and not the preferred 1, 6 & 11, even if there are no other transmitting the area.
Message 10 of 17
MrAsker
Tutor

Re: New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

mjdenham wrote:
I have upgraded and have no obvious problems.


I have a problem that I pretty sure it .34 related. I can't get any of my Port Forwarding rules to work. I've naturally removed them and re-added them with no luck. Anybody have the same problem?

Anybody have a solution?
OpenELEC on Raspberry Pi is da shit!
http://www.openelec.tv/
http://www.raspberrypi.org/
Message 11 of 17
Daddu
Aspirant

Re: New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

smacks wrote:
I am in this same spot. I have RR Extreme 30/5 and my wireless speeds (as tested by speedtest.net) were always 29.??/4.?? with the old firmware

I too recently upgraded the firmware to .32 and my wireless speeds dropped by around 30-35% on 2.4? My wireless card is an intel 5100. I never really had any dropout issues either.

If I use a wired connection it is still 30/5. My other devices PS3/Directv box is also lagging now on wireless (worse than the laptops) and it was taking forever to DL movies and PS3 update took over 45 minutes.

I now have rolled back the firmware to .18 and all seems to be fine. Tonight if I have some time I will try to bump it up again to .25 and see what happens.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the issues with .32 firmware?

I have experienced similar issues as described here with the 2.4 band. I loaded firmware .34 and it took about one day and went down to crawling speeds. I would switch to the 5 GHz band, and the speed is fine. Tested other Frequencies and no solution there. Moved back to FW .32 and basically the same issues.
Now I went to the older .25 Beta FW, and now everything is back to normal. As a matter of fact it has over one week and the 2.4 band is still solid.
I know there are some issues with the external HD speeds and/corruption, but I have mine formatted ext3, and that is the native to the OS of the router.
I hope this helps some people, but mainly I ho
E Netgear takes a look at this forum and does something about it.

Richard
Message 12 of 17
rvf148
Aspirant

Re: New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

Yep same problem here with different external-internal port
Message 13 of 17
madhatter
Apprentice

Re: New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

I was in Costco today and they had a boatload of 3800's. I got one and immediately upgraded from .18 (stock) to .34 and configured all of the required settings.

I unplugged my wndr3400 and plugged in the 3800 and immediately noticed internet timeouts every 10-15 seconds or so (on a wired computer).

I then downgraded to .25 beta. It kept all of my settings and I haven't had any timeouts in the last 8.5 hours. Wireless speed is fine. All is looking good. Will test further tomorrow.

This is a 01R16 router ... is that a good one?
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 14 of 17
mediatrek
Virtuoso

Re: New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

madhatter wrote:
I was in Costco today and they had a boatload of 3800's. I got one and immediately upgraded from .18 (stock) to .34 and configured all of the required settings.

I unplugged my wndr3400 and plugged in the 3800 and immediately noticed internet timeouts every 10-15 seconds or so (on a wired computer).

I then downgraded to .25 beta. It kept all of my settings and I haven't had any timeouts in the last 8.5 hours. Wireless speed is fine. All is looking good. Will test further tomorrow.

This is a 01R16 router ... is that a good one?


01R16 is fine. I have setup a number from that batch.

As far as the dropouts, did you reset your cable modem after unplugging it from your WNDR3400, but prior to connecting it to the WNDR3800?

I have never heard of wired dropouts before on the .34 firmware. Be sure that none of your devices was set to a fixed IP on your LAN and that with the new router it is trying to grab the same IP as another device not set to a fixed IP. Having devices going for the same IP on your network can cause the drops you were having. Other than that I can not think of anything else @ this time.
Message 15 of 17
madhatter
Apprentice

Re: New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

mediatrek wrote:
01R16 is fine. I have setup a number from that batch.

As far as the dropouts, did you reset your cable modem after unplugging it from your WNDR3400, but prior to connecting it to the WNDR3800?

I have never heard of wired dropouts before on the .34 firmware. Be sure that none of your devices was set to a fixed IP on your LAN and that with the new router it is trying to grab the same IP as another device not set to a fixed IP. Having devices going for the same IP on your network can cause the drops you were having. Other than that I can not think of anything else @ this time.


I used CHECKHOST on one of my wired PC's to ping remote and internal sites in order to monitor my ISP's performance.

I didn't reset the modem, as I have a static IP from my ISP. I do have some devices with fixed IP's, but they are outside of the DHCP address range. There is a likelihood that there could have been an IP conflict with the desktop machine running CHECKHOST I guess, and downgrading to .25 (and the subsequent router restart) could have coincidentally resolved it.
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 16 of 17
madhatter
Apprentice

Re: New Firmware Version: V1.0.0.34

** update **

After reading Mediatrek's comments I decided to re-apply .34

I used the upgrade feature in the Genie. Upgrade went fine and afterwards I only had two quick blips of ping timeouts and then all good. Anyway .34 appears to be fine right now.

madhatter wrote:
I used CHECKHOST on one of my wired PC's to ping remote and internal sites in order to monitor my ISP's performance.

I didn't reset the modem, as I have a static IP from my ISP. I do have some devices with fixed IP's, but they are outside of the DHCP address range. There is a likelihood that there could have been an IP conflict with the desktop machine running CHECKHOST I guess, and downgrading to .25 (and the subsequent router restart) could have coincidentally resolved it.
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 11627 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E