Highlighted
Luminary

New Firmware (v1) - 1.0.1.40

WNDR4500 New Firmware - 1.0.1.40

New Features:

Added SOAP API 2.0 support

Anybody know what the SOAP API is used for in this router?

Message 1 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: New Firmware - 1.0.1.40

I think this is another way for a 3rd party app to control the router. I guess like the smartphone app.
Message 2 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

Message 3 of 56
Highlighted
Luminary

Mods, sticky?
Message 4 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

Anyone know why Genie still shows previous firmware version 1.0.1.38 even though router has updated to firmware 1.0.1.40?
Message 5 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

DRWAYNE; I just updated from V1.0.1.38 and when I bring up Netgear Genie and select Router Settings, mine shows Firmware Version V1.0.1.40.
Message 6 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

Buck115 wrote:
DRWAYNE; I just updated from V1.0.1.38 and when I bring up Netgear Genie and select Router Settings, mine shows Firmware Version V1.0.1.40.

See when I do that it still says .38 and I have the red bar across the top that says firmware available. But if I login to the router not using Genie it says firmware is .40.
Message 7 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

Great firmware...except there is NO way to manually add devices to the Access Control allow or block list. So where's the add button, Netgear?

I swear, it's always something with your firmwares. Do you test this stuff? I use access control and I just want to manually add all my permitted devices instead of just turning them all on, hoping they actually show up in the list and then setting the premissions.

FIX THIS (preferably without breaking half a dozen other things in the process)
Message 8 of 56
Aspirant

I still don't understand it but for some reason Genie programs either on the lap top or iPhone will not update firmware even though it says it is. Logging into router from non Genie means and updating firmware works and once I do that Genie will show correct firmware installed.
Since no one seems to have an answer as to why I am not going to worry about it until the next firmware update.
Thanks for looking at my posts and replying.
Message 9 of 56
Highlighted
Luminary

People should forget about using Genie. Seriously, why bother?
Stick with a decent web browser and skip Genie, you'll be better off for it. Genie is junkware IMO.
Message 10 of 56
Highlighted
Luminary

I agree. The desktop Genie is useless eye candy that wastes cycles and is known to cause issues.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 11 of 56
Highlighted
Luminary

Netgear has released the v1.0.1.40 firmware for the WNDR4500v1. Please do not download this firmware if you do not own a version one WNDR4500. I recommend you read the "How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware" guide by clicking here. Step four in the 'Change' guide, while written for a different model, will offer helpful instructions/recommendations for properly changing the firmware on your router. Additionally, it might be beneficial to safely unplug any USB attached devices before updating the firmware.

Firmware v1.0.1.40 for the WNDR4500v1 can be directly downloaded from here.

MD5: 4B60892B2A8F0B6052A81FAD9681FD8D
SHA-1: 145EFD154EDD61FDC1A155DA244214818EB9F94A

New Features:
    _____
    WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
    Message 12 of 56
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

Hrm, might have to try this one out as well.
    Message 13 of 56
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

Zapper_Weisman wrote:
    Great firmware...except there is NO way to manually add devices to the Access Control allow or block list. So where's the add button, Netgear?

I swear, it's always something with your firmwares. Do you test this stuff? I use access control and I just want to manually add all my permitted devices instead of just turning them all on, hoping they actually show up in the list and then setting the premissions.

FIX THIS (preferably without breaking half a dozen other things in the process)

Have to agree that a basic function that I used a lot is no longer present. Tried to add an iPad today and have absolutely no idea how to (I don't use the guest option, have always added the MAC). Please fix this.
    Message 14 of 56
    Highlighted
    Luminary

Many issues immediately following a firmware change are the direct result of the user not following proper procedures. One such proper way to change the router's firmware was already included in this thread.

Also, keep in mind that the ACL should not be considered a security feature. It might keep the uninformed from accessing your network, but to anyone with the mildest of skill, ACL is a tiny bump in the road and you won't even know it happened. The remedy is to always use WPA2-PSK [AES] with a strong passphrase.
    _____
    Message 15 of 56
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

I guess I was expressing my view on an advertised feature in a paid product I expect to work and confirmation that it doesn't - not really wanting a lecture on your views of security or user efficacy.

I've downgraded to 1.0.1.38 and all is fine again. Funny thing was even when I set the router to allow all new devices I still couldn't add the new iPad - perhaps I wasn't 'following proper procedures' :-)
    Message 16 of 56
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

Sorry. Re-reading what I wrote and it was unnecessary. Fair enough comments about ACL etc but it is something I use so was a bit frustrated.

On the positive side the downgrade process was painless and all is well now.
    Message 17 of 56
    Highlighted
    Luminary

I understand you're frustrated, I get that. I'm not trying to make it worse. Here's what I know. I've been here awhile, seen many things. The fact is, most users log into there router, see that an update is available, blindly click the button and are convinced they did everything necessary to change the router's firmware. Sure, it's possible to get away with it doing it that way. It's certainly not the best way. Often enough, the user then posts in here only to say that right after installing the new firmware they encountered an issue and blame the firmware. More on that in a moment.

I've read posts were people have said that's the way the manufacture designed the update process. That's a fair statement, but that doesn't mean it's the best way. For example some motherboard manufactures allow the BIOS to be updated while Windows is still running. That is one of the worst ways to update the BIOS. Motherboard manufactures know that many users either don't know how or are lazy, and changing the BIOS through Windows would either provide familiarity or convenience.

My point is, just because a manufacture allows a user to do something in a particular way doesn't mean that it's the best way. In the case of the motherboard BIOS, it's better to download the firmware and place the firmware on a FAT32 formatted flash drive. Then reboot the computer and either go into BIOS or boot to a CMD prompt and perform the firmware change from there. Sure it's a little extra work, but there is less of a chance of bricking.

Same idea with a router. The firmware is downloaded to the computer and uploaded to the router with only a wired connection. The router's factory defaults are applied before the firmware is changed. After, hard reset everything and don't use save configuration files between firmware versions. This is expanded on in the 'guide' I posted earlier in this thread. Sure it's a little extra work, but it's one way to ensure the router's firmware was change properly.

If there is an issue after changing the router's firmware and steps similar to those mentioned right above are not performed, then how do you know for sure it's the firmware or the way the router's firmware was changed?

I can't say whether v1.0.1.40 is good or bad firmware. However I can say for certain that updating your router properly can ensure that the update process itself isn't causing the issue. I've seen it happen many times.

Having said all that, maybe proper procedures were followed for updating the firmware and it wasn't mentioned in the post. Perhaps the ACL issue is real. In that case, the issue should be reported to Netgear from the Netgear portal located here. The more people that report the issue, the more likely it is that the issue would be fixed in a future release. This also lets Netgear know that there is enough demand for a fix, this way resources can be managed and products are not orphaned.

I can only go by what was posted and what is more likely than not to have happened. Again, I'm not trying to upset you. I was only offering advice, perhaps a little terse, but my intentions was to be helpful. One thing is for certain, this one wasn't terse. Smiley Happy

Best of luck.
    _____
    Message 18 of 56
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

Squuiid wrote:
    People should forget about using Genie. Seriously, why bother?
    Stick with a decent web browser and skip Genie, you'll be better off for it. Genie is junkware IMO.

Agreed but it is still valuable because it allows you to use old and non-wireless printers from iPads and iPhones (AirPrint).
    Message 19 of 56
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

Interesting experiene in upgrading to the .40 firmware.

Aside from the no manual add by MAC address as mentioned by others, it seems there's no add of any wireless devices under some yet-to-be-understood conditions.

Router notified me that a firmware upgrade was avaialable, so sure, a new fix or tweak won't hurt, right?

Here it seems that any wireless device that had an active connection before the upgrade (from .38) worked just fine after the upgrade. But after the upgrade the router refused to allow new devices to establish a wireless connection. This has nothing to do with encryption or security, since I removed all security from the guest network as a test. This has nothing to do with Windows either, since both a Windows PC and an iPhone both are unable to connect. On the Windows PC, clicking to attempt a connection almost immediately returns with a connection error.

Methinks perhaps more testing would have been in order, pre-release . . .
    Message 20 of 56
    Highlighted
    Novice

I came here because I am having problems trying to connect a new IP cam to my WNDR4500 network. This the first device that I have tried to connect since the new firmware.

I am getting WLAN access denied messages repeated every few seconds in router log and my WiFi IP camera cannot connect. Even with access control off the messages appear in the log. With Access control 'On' the blocked MAC does not appear in the the Access control list and therefore I cannot set it to 'Allow'. The same cam is fine with a Ethernet connection.

I also have a Netgear extender WN25500RP. The virtual MAC from the camera is also blocked but the I can actually connect to the camera via exstender WiFi. The router log shows repeated Access Denied messages for virtual MAC and again the MAC is not showing as blocked in the Acess control list and therefore I cannot set it to allow. Also odd is that even with camera off the Access denied messages for the virtual MAC continue until I reboot the extender.

The cam manufacture said its a Netgear issue. Camera is a 2nd gen. Y-Cam 1080HD YCBLHD8... new out

Anyone some please help me out here. Thanks Mark.
    Message 21 of 56
    Highlighted
    Novice

Just tested with WiFi security off and its the same issue.

I am not sure if it is relevant but the cam uses the same MAC address for both wired and wireless connections. The wired connection is in the access control list and set to allow.
    Message 22 of 56
    Highlighted
    Luminary

See link in signature, step 4, for one way to properly change firmware. Although written for a different model, the 'guide' will offer helpful instructions/recommendations for properly changing the firmware on your router. Additionally, don't use wireless to update firmware, don't use save configuration files between different firmware versions and safely disconnect any USB devices before beginning.
    _____
    Message 23 of 56
    Highlighted
    Novice

Hi Devor,

I followed your steps and now the problem is resolved. My camera can now connect and I can set it to Allow in the access list. Thankyou.
    Message 24 of 56
    Highlighted
    Luminary

You're welcome. Have fun.
    _____
    Message 25 of 56
    Discussion stats
    Announcements