Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: New Firmware - 1.0.1.40

This firmware update was done one day and since it was done, I have not been able to access the Wireless Card Access list. It appears the only way to get it back is to update the firmware to the previous version of 1.038, sad.
Message 26 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

I had the same problems - I was unable to add a new cell phone to the access list, and even with access control turned off it couldn't connect. Downgrading the router firmware to 1.0.1.38 obtained from http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/WNDR4500 has fixed the issue.
Message 27 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

Dear Netgear CEO,

The last 2 month I spent over 250 euro’s and many hours on new devices with Wifi functionality (Android box and Chromecast device) for testing purposes. Because my older devices connected (configured whilst on firmware version 1.0.1.38) without any problem with my WNDR4500 I was convinced that the newer Android devices IP stacks, were not compatible with my WNDR4500 (firmware version 1.0.1.40). After 5 weeks of testing I decided to stop and gave these new Android devices away. I blamed the handshake problems on Android version (4.2.2).

This problem kept me busy for some weeks and I decided to downgrade my WNDR4500 to the previous firmware version (1.0.1.38) and to my surprise the handshake problems were gone.

Therefore, Dear Netgear CEO, shame on you! Your latest firmware update is bad. Please solve the Access control issue ASAP.

Maybe a large apologize to your customers is appropriate.

M. Kamphuis
Message 28 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

Maybe try beta firmware 1.0.1.41 found on station-drivers
Message 29 of 56
Highlighted
Fledgling

I too have the problem of not being able add new devices under the latest firmware. So I contacted Netgear support through email as suggested above to inform them of the problem/bug in their current firmware. Their response was my Router is out of warranty (purchased 3/1/2013) and therefore I do not qualify for support and they closed my ticket. I cannot respond to the ticket as they closed it. They don't even acknowledge the problem, so no one at Netgear will be fixing this bug. Have always been a fan of Netgear products but after this experience will be moving on, like the ASUS products. I am just dumbfounded by the lack of customer service for a bug Netgear introduced.
Message 30 of 56
Highlighted
Fledgling

So I tried to contact support to let them know of this bug of wireless devices not connecting, but they refuse to even acknowledge the problem that they introduced 30 days ago due to their firmware update because my hardware is 45 days beyond the warranty period. Is it coincidence that this firmware and bug was introduced as our warranties expire or is this the way that Netgear tries to drive more sales? Either way they now have one pissed off customer. My response I received from Netgear's unhelpful support:

Dear Mr. XXXX

My name is Jenny and I will further assist you on this case.

I am aware that you are unable to connect more wireless devices after updating the router's firmware to version V1.0.1.40_1.0.68.

I have verified the router's serial number and it shows that it was purchased on Mar 1, 2013.

Please be informed that the device is (-45) beyond its Hardware Warranty from the date of purchase. This will no longer be eligible for full troubleshooting. What we can provide is our support site, http://support.netgear.com where you can check for troubleshooting steps and instructions to resolve your case.

Besides the online KB articles and Forums, we highly recommend our premium support options that entitle you to have unlimited technical support for all your networking devices. For more information regarding this, please contact 1-855-432-7432.

Thanks for choosing NETGEAR.

Regards,

Jenny XXXXXX
Message 31 of 56
Highlighted
Novice

so what are you gonna do...continue to writh in agony or act and downgrade....I'm still on the original ship FW V1.0.0.70_1.0.18 ...still chugging along with 8 devices connected...no problems

Ipad
Iphone
Samsung S4
Sager Laptop
Samsung Laptop
Asus Prime Tablet
WDLive
Qnap TS 509 Pro Nas

router is located in basement on far side of house

My brother has the same Router with same FW and 4 devices connecting...no probs
Message 32 of 56
Highlighted
Fledgling

Moved on to an ASUS. Invested my time upgrading to a better router than screwing around downgrading the Netgear. Was the better solution and use of time for me.
Message 33 of 56
Highlighted

I'm running fw V1.0.1.38_1.0.64 with 10 connected devices a mix of wired/wireless without any issues.
Message 34 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

I upgraded to the .40 version back in February and ever since one of my wired devices (power monitor with web interface) intermittently goes off line for hours at a time. On checking the log you see this:
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.101)] to MAC address 00:08Smiley Very HappyC:27:B1:25, Wednesday,
Apr 23,2014 01:05:48
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.101)] to MAC address 00:08Smiley Very HappyC:27:B1:25, Wednesday,
Apr 23,2014 01:05:37
Apr 23,2014 01:05:27
Apr 23,2014 01:05:09

and it will continue for hours.

Any way to determine if this is a router or connected device issue? Power cycling everything multiple times hasn't made any difference.
Message 35 of 56

Seems that you answered your own question in the first sentence.
Message 36 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

So for those experiencing LAN problems with wired devices is this what the logs look like? ie IP's being constantly requested every ten seconds or so? I'm just leery of downgrading since last time the process bricked it and had to force feed via TFTP to recover. Maybe it was trying to tell me something.
Message 37 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

pendaws wrote:
This firmware update was done one day and since it was done, I have not been able to access the Wireless Card Access list. It appears the only way to get it back is to update the firmware to the previous version of 1.038, sad.

As can be seen above I complained about this in March and I would like to upgrade my FM but, I am NOT giving this 1.01.4.0 a chance to upset things again.
The GUI language version is V1.0.1.40_2.1.17.1 but I am still using V1.0.1.38_1.0.64 FM.

Is there any move by Netgear to FIX this or, is it a lost cause and will be fixed on a later model router?
Message 38 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

Try the one in post 29
Message 39 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

Does anyone know if it's possible that some websites cannot be reached after installing this update?
Message 40 of 56
Highlighted

Your dns server controls that. You might also try using downforeveryoneorjustme and see if those sights are indeed unavailable.
Message 41 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

I cannot believe NetGear support will not offer any further support other than simply telling me to look through my router settings. It's a shame because everything worked fine until the last firmware upgrade so Netgear should have the decency to address this problem. The option to add devices to the Access list was moved to the Security section under the Advanced menu and there is no choice displayed for adding (allowing) a new device, it simply doesn't show up. Apparently this is a bug introduce with Ver 1.0.1.40. I'm insulted that I'm asked to pay for tech support for a feature that was previously working:mad:
Message 42 of 56
Highlighted
Novice

hey, anyone having dns issues?

mine seems to have trouble redirecting dns requests to the point they fail.

also the peice of junk seems to randomly become unloginable. its still routs traffic but you can login to the thing without a reset.

what gives?
Message 43 of 56
Highlighted

I just updated to the new firmware myself because my router had slowed down to a crawl and everything seems to be working fine at the moment. I'll post back if anything changes.
Message 44 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

I just had a problem this evening with not being able to log in to the router. I can access anything else on my network but the Router just WON'T talk to me. I am still dubious about updating to this new firmware and it appears that my problem exists even without the NEW firmware, is netgear going to fix anything to do with the firmware or is it a case of bad luck?
Message 45 of 56
Highlighted

Guys,
In addition to my r7000, I still have two 4500's v1 and v2 revs, one running .40 and the other running .42 with absolutely no issues.

.38 was the last F/W to use "Mac Filtering" subsequent releases 40 & 42 use ACL. You can add devices manually to either allowed or blocked lists by expanding the items

View list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network		 	 
Remove from the list Add Edit Device Name MAC Address Connection Type server
00:16:36:**:**:** Wired rickks-iPhone
00:88:65:**:**:** Wireless HP6245dv - server8
00:19Smiley Very Happy2:**:**:** Wireless Rick's Surface Pro 2
28:18:78:**:**:** Unknown Dad's Mac Book Pro
F8:1ESmiley Very HappyF:**:**:** Unknown Wii
00:1E:35:**:**:** Unknown HP Mini
90:4C:E5:**:**:** Unknown Anna Dell Laptop
00:19:7E:**:**:** Unknown Anna Lenovo Laptop
00:27:10:**:**:** Unknown Rick K1 Tablet
74:2F:68:**:**:** Wireless Rick Dell Vostro
00:1F:3A:**:**:** Unknown Asus P4P-800SE
00:E0:98:**:**:** Unknown Anna iPhone 5
00:88:65:**:**:** Wireless Anna's Kindle
00:BB:3A:**:**:** Unknown TP-Link_Client
10:FE:ED:**:**:** Unknown Lulu
00:22:19:**:**:** Wired randall-PC
30:85:A9:**:**:** Wired rickk-W7
00:11:5B:**:**:** Wired Mom's iPhone5
F0Smiley Very Happy1:A9:**:**:** Wireless
View list of blocked devices not currently connected to the network

Clicking the add button, then entering the MAC address and a custom name of your choice. A device does not have to be present, or actively trying to establish a connection to be included or excluded. Once set, the next time this device is active, connected or within range, it will either be allowed or denied to connect to the network.

If you are having problems with ACL or with accessing the router's GUI normally I would hard reset my device and manually reflash the firmware using TFTP method.

The 4500's remain my favorite, robust and stable, much more so than my r7000.
~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.64 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 46 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm still on FW Version V1.0.1.20_1.0.40. Is there any reason I should upgrade if my router is working well with no issues?
Message 47 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

Same here after down grade from .36 which cause problems. Now running about 13 items mixed wired/wireless with no issues. I'm happy no change necessary.
Message 48 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

shadowsports wrote:

<>

If you are having problems with ACL or with accessing the router's GUI normally I would hard reset my device and manually reflash the firmware using TFTP method.

The 4500's remain my favorite, robust and stable, much more so than my r7000.

What is the TFTP method? Is it posted someplace here?
Message 49 of 56
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hello all

Please forgive my ignorance to everything I might be posting here, am really just knowing of things via spotting picking up of info.

But I just upgraded my 4500v1 to 40 and was going through the options an noticed that while some of my equipment on the Attached Devices list are named, many are not.

For the ones that are not all they show are kind of a long dash line like, -- , in the space for the name of the device.

I have gone through all of the devices themselves, an they do seem to have some kind of name, or model number in the device name section among all the other IP info, so for one question is, why can't the router if it can get all the other info, not get the names as well?

Basically many of these devices are things like TV's, Rokus, Receivers and other stuff like that, IE, all things that are not PC's as all the PC's and even my smartphone are named. But just to say, these devices are all good units too, so I really don't think it is because they cannot provide the info I am pretty sure. After all, they are providing all the other info and as well, I am really sure I used to see at least some of these when I first got this router back in 2013 with probably some older firmware.

But to get to my point, with all these devices, (about 12) total, with many of them un-named, its kinda hard to know which is which via just the IP numbers and MAC address, plus some are on sometimes an sometimes not.

So basically for me to look at the lists to see if something is on there is not supposed to be, is really hard to know without these being named.

So is there anything I can do in the routers settings to get their names to show, an if not, is there anyway I can name them?

Thanks for any help
Message 50 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements