New Owner - Having Problems

lazyboy
Aspirant

New Owner - Having Problems

DGND3700 came this morning, have set up the basics but am having problems with the router staying connected to the INternet.

After being connected for an hour or so, sometimes less, all the connected PC's get an "!" over the system tray icon and the status reads "No Internet Connection".

The DSL Modem appears to be still connected and logged in to my ISP but no Internet connection?

I have set 1y & 2y DNS servers based on what is provided by my ISP but still the PC's claim to not be able to access a DNS server.

Any ideas?

Also the router is emitting a high pitched whine/buzzing sound the whole time which is very disconcerting. Anyone else seeing this? Is the hardware faulty?

Not a very promising start.
Message 1 of 257
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: New Owner - Having Problems

Also the router is emitting a high pitched whine/buzzing sound

get exchanged
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 257
Steve_Goodey
Aspirant

Same here I'm afraid, received DGND3700 router day before yesterday, keeps disconnecting from ADSL, router status shows modem connected but IP address and DNS are blank. Been onto tech support where MTU was changed and firmware reloaded, still faulty. Have now been advised to send back to Expansys for a replacement. Mine wasn't making a noise though.

Regards, Steve.
Message 3 of 257
bebbo
Star

Well this is quite worrying. Exactly the same issue with the router showing as disconnected from the remote ADSL server (IP Address is 0's) but still showing an ADSL link. Exactly the same suggestions from Netgear and they became quite disgruntled when I told them that it was an odd test just to change the MTU settings as they should have no impact on the router reconnecting.

I have too been told to return the router but considering that a simple visit to the ADSL settings page and saving the configuration reconnects the link I would believe that this is a firmware not hardware issue. Even more so now others are experiencing the same issue.

I'm not sure I want to have to keep paying shipping charges to send these units back when it is likely to be firmware not hardware...
Message 4 of 257
lazyboy
Aspirant

bebbo, I agree that it is more likely to be firmware. I've had the router in operation now for 6 days, and have had to regularly turn off and on the power to reset the red LED error condition. However, its very strange - the shortest time it has stayed up is 5 minutes (once); currently it's been OK for the last 39 hours; so I'm not sure what to conclude. Since the ADSL modem remains sync'd, I wondered whether it is something at the ISP end (rebalancing or something) and that when it happens the router looses its internet connection but doesn't / can't relog in to the ISP due to a bug in the firmware?
Message 5 of 257
Steve_Goodey
Aspirant

Good point, I had that idea at the back of my mind, so maybe just leave it connected and it will eventually settle down. Interesting comment by bebbo about the settings page trick. At the moment I'm waiting for a replacement from Expansys, they did send me a reply paid label so I'm not out of pocket shipping wise.

Steve.
Message 6 of 257
lazyboy
Aspirant

Well spoke too soon, lost Internet connectivity after 42 hours.

The settings page trick, only reboots the router and allows it to reestablish the Internet again; howver it is slightly easier than having to recycle the power switch manually which requires physical attendance.

I hope a fixed f/w revision comes along soon. Our exchange is due to switch to 21CN (ADSL2) next week, so I'll be interested to see how this changes things, if at all.
Message 7 of 257
bebbo
Star

Just curious, do any of you use any applications with heavy port usage (Specifically BitTorrent)? I noticed that when a uPNP port is opened from my BitTorrent application the log fills up quickly with TCP/UDP messages and there does not seem to be a way to stop this from happening. There are four options on the Log page but de-selecting all of them has no impact on these messages.

On my previous Netgear routers the uPNP ports did not create log entries for each packet sent and the Port Forwarding section allowed you to select either Log or Not to Log for each Port based on some criteria. This new router has none of these options so swamping the log.

My concern is that if the Log is badly managed it may cause overflow or other error in the router resulting in a module crashing (Possibly the one to do with logging into the remote server?). Only a thought...

I have had to return to my old G router until they issue a fix but will return my router to see if it is hardware (unlikely for the reasons stated above). I just don't relish the thought of having to pay P+P for each of the returns (There is something to be said for purchasing from brick and mortar stores instead).
Message 8 of 257
bebbo
Star

lazyboy, If all it does is re-boot the router is it simpler or quicker to go to the Diagnostics page and click Reboot...? Didn't realise it re-booted it. Thought it only re-connected without losing my DHCP server etc but perhaps it does re-boot.
Message 9 of 257
lazyboy
Aspirant

No heavy bittorrent use here. I did try disabling uPnP early last week as I read somewhere on the web that this might help, but it didn't make any difference for me.

I am uploading a small file every 3 secs of weather data to my website to regularly update my local weather webpage, so not sure whether that might cause the same type of log overflow.

I also tried to connect my old Dlink DSL-320B ADSL modem to the router via the WAN port and disabled the internal ADSL modem, but I couldnt get this to work at all (mainly due to lack of easy to follow instructions on this way of connecting).

So I'm back to rebooting at least once a day, hoping for a f/w update soon and interested to see what effect the upgrading of ADSL line to 21CN (ADSL2) will have later this week.
Message 10 of 257
Babbage
Aspirant

lazyboy / bebbo / Steve,

There's definitely room for improvement in the firmware but, if you are able to, I would try exchanging the router anyway and get your ISP to check at their end to make sure your line settings are optimised. Also check your phone sockets don't still have the bell wires connected, as these can cause interference, then do a quiet line test.

I got my DGND3700 on Wednesday 11th May and it has stayed online for 65 hours (and counting) without interruption since Thursday evening when I stopped fiddling with the various options that needed it to reboot.

However, I've been using a DGN1000 since early March as a temporary stop-gap after my DG834GT died, and have had a lot of trouble with it disconnecting. At first it kept randomly dropping the DSL link every few minutes or hours, although it generally recovered by itself. After fixing my phone sockets and getting my ISP to investigate I ended up with a faster connection than I'd ever had before (syncing at 18Mbps instead of 8). The router settled down so it only reset the link about once a day or so. Still not perfect, but I was able to put up with it.

The 3700 dropped the link about 2 hours after being switched on for the first time on Weds, but has been fine since then. Interestingly, it has synced at 16Mbps instead of 18, but I'm happy to be getting a stable connection at a decent speed. Also, I used the setup wizard and realised later that it had selected PPPoE instead of PPPoA, but as it is working OK I'm leaving it alone for the time being.

It may be too soon to say this for certain, but the fact that my 3700 is apparently stable, but the 1000 wasn't, makes me wonder if the problems are due to tolerence issues in the hardware. I've read that the DG834GT was exceptionally tolerant of line noise, and could make and maintain a high speed connection where lesser routers failed. Perhaps it's luck of the draw and I got a dodgy DGN1000 and a good DGND3700
Message 11 of 257
bebbo
Star

My main issue with the firmware is that it doesn't automatically reconnect. It may well be more sensitive to noise than my old DG router but it should still auto reconnect or allow me to manually do so. I have no bell wire connected and the house wiring is isolated from the ADSL router at the master socket with a filter being part of the faceplate. Nothing filter wise is changed when I switch routers and having gone back to my DG now I have regained my stable Internet connection. I will try one replacement and then give in if it fails until they update the firmware...
Message 12 of 257
lazyboy
Aspirant

bebbo,

Definitely a good idea that at least one of us does an exchange. I await with interest how your replacement fares. I will see how the replacement ADSL on my line affects issues and then decide whether to exchange or refund.

My router lost connectivity three times yesterday.

I had problems on my ADSL line last August which led to a BT engineer replacing a faulty piece of hardware at the exchange. I got 3M connections before with regular disconnects & ADSL re-syncing. After his upgrade I have been getting 6M+. He visited my home and checked our line & it passed with flying colours. The dLink DSL320B I had before used to be rock solid for 10 days or more in a row, so I think the line is OK - it has to be the router.

I agree it should auto-reconnect, the problem would be easier to live with if it did.
Message 13 of 257
simon_c
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem, 3 or 4 reboots yesterday

Previous modem rock solid, even though I haven't disconnected bellwire

Not good enough is it

Probably going back to another brand unless this is sorted out pronto

Simon
Message 14 of 257
enak
Aspirant

Same here. 1 or 2 reboots are per day to get the IP back from 0.0.0.0 to an actual connect to my ISP. My theory is that it does it when things are not in use - some kind of shutdown that it can't recover from. Normal BT line, single red light on router, decent sync speed etc. No strange noises or heat. Previous router had no such trouble. Hoping for firmware fix as sounds like everyone has same problem with these, but I guess its a patience thing - might return it as faulty if I get fed up before they release something.
Message 15 of 257
eonone
Aspirant

Add me to the list

Got my DGND3700 N600 to replace an old Speedtouch G router.
Speeds went from 3meg down to 2meg over the first few days due to the same reconnects and reboots mentioned in this thread. My line speeds drop when the router reboots a lot due to the profile dropping and it takes ages to get back.

Anyway, Im regularly finding in the morning, after no use overnight, the internet drops connection and yesterday it dropped 4 times during the day. Everytime I reboot the router it reconnects again. Looks like a DNS issue to me as its connected (I can see the wifi point) but I can access any web pages.

Disappointed and looking to send back, shame as its a nice router otherwise Smiley Sad
Message 16 of 257
eonone
Aspirant

Add me to the list

Got my DGND3700 N600 to replace an old Speedtouch G router.
Speeds went from 3meg down to 2meg over the first few days due to the same reconnects and reboots mentioned in this thread. My line speeds drop when the router reboots a lot due to the profile dropping and it takes ages to get back.

Anyway, Im regularly finding in the morning, after no use overnight, the internet drops connection and yesterday it dropped 4 times during the day. Everytime I reboot the router it reconnects again. Looks like a DNS issue to me as its connected (I can see the wifi point) but I can access any web pages.

Disappointed and looking to send back, shame as its a nice router otherwise Smiley Sad
Message 17 of 257
ProjectVRD
Aspirant

Guys,

If you are looking for answers and solutions from the company then please consider posting all the information that they need. At the moment the only clue you are giving them is that is doesn't work properly, just like somebody telling a mechanic over the phone that the car won't start.

If you want a quicker fix, give them something to go on.

1 - Post the log file from the router, as well as the noise, sync, etc

2 - Post your type of internet connection

3 - Post who your ISP is

4 - Post how many devices connect to the router/modem

5 - Post what operating systems they are working on

6 - Post their network adaptors they use (for instance WNDA3100v2 etc)

7 - Post what firware those adaptors use (wired and wireless remember!!!)

These seven are the bare minimum of the sort of information you should be putting up here, and REMEMBER TO REMOVE ANY PASSWORDS, MAC ADDRESSES, IP ADDRESSES FROM LOG FILES!

Smiley Happy
Message 18 of 257
lazyboy
Aspirant

enak wrote:
My theory is that it does it when things are not in use - some kind of shutdown that it can't recover from.

Mine has dropped the connection many times whilst in the middle of stream ing music or dlownloading files, so I don't think it can be this.
Message 19 of 257
Mike250
Aspirant

G'day guys,

Add me to the list. New owner of an n600 DGND3700, initially very pleased; can no longer maintain an internet connection. After being dissatisfied with the wireless connection, I changed locations in the house - using another phone jack. I switched out the DSL filter. In frustration I finally resorted to ethernet connection only.

In absolute frustration I got my old Belkin Wireless G F5D7633au4A back out and have had no problems since.

ADSL connection by Optus in Wollongong, Australia. Up to 5 devices can be connected; 2 laptops, 2 Samsung mobiles, one Panasonic Viera TV. Presently only my laptop is connected as I write this. Windows 7 and Mac OSx are the OS's of the two laptops.

I'd provide the log, but I am now on the Belkin router. After I do some more reading tonight, I'll see if I can capture a log.
Message 20 of 257
lazyboy
Aspirant

Could I ask everyone who is suffering from this problem to simply state what their DSL protocol is? As far as I can see you can't get this info from the ADSL Modem status info page, but you will probably know what type of ADSL is being supplied by your local exchange.

For example, when I started this thread, my exchange was std ADSL (supplying BT ADSLMax up to 8Mbps broadband); but last week my exchange was upgraded to WMBC (21CN) better known as ADSL2+ (up to 20 Mbps); and I regraded my broadband package at Zen to an up to 20Mbps connection. Since then (touch wood and 60 hours and counting) the router has been perfectly stable and has not dropped the connection.

So I am interested to know whether we can isolate the cause of this problem as being due to an instability/bug in the Std ADSL Modem connection.
Message 21 of 257
Babbage
Aspirant

Well I'm not having any connection problems and I am on ADSL2+ from Pipex, connected at 16Mbps. Might it also be worth checking what encapsulation and multiplexing method are being used? I'm on PPPoA and VC-based, but the setup wizard went for PPPoE and LLC-based for some reason, and although I corrected this a few days later I can't say it made any difference.

I was stuck on ADSLMax previously, despite my exchange apparently having been upgraded in 2009, so if there is indeed a problem with the standard ADSL connection in the current generation of Netgear products that might explain why the temporary DGN1000 was so flaky to start off with. Mind you, it still dropped out about once a day after switching to ADSL2+ so maybe this is irrelevant!?
Message 22 of 257
lazyboy
Aspirant

Well I fully expect that the router will drop and (hopefully) reconnect again from time to time, as the ISP does occassional rebalancing of its customer connections; but it should remain mostly stable & connected.

(I used to have a Draytek on the old std ADSL line up until a few years ago and that stayed connected for weeks on end without problems).

Anyway I also am using PPPoA & VCMux (0,38). I didn't use the Setup Wizard but setup manually.

(DNDG3700 is still connected ... 70 hours and counting...)
Message 23 of 257
Ryster
Aspirant

lazyboy wrote:
For example, when I started this thread, my exchange was std ADSL (supplying BT ADSLMax up to 8Mbps broadband); but last week my exchange was upgraded to WMBC (21CN) better known as ADSL2+ (up to 20 Mbps);

Hey Lazybox, just for the record: ADSL2+ is "up to" 24Mbps, not 20. Only ISP's that want to cheat and avoid the "why am I not getting anywhere near what I'm paying for" questions advertise it as "up to" 20Mbps.
Message 24 of 257
lazyboy
Aspirant

yes I know, but Zen describe the service as "up to 20" which is why I used the same term.

Some would argue that we *are* getting what we pay for, whatever we achieve by way of a connection speed, because the service is "up to" and any speed you get is "up to 20/24 mbps" - What about shops that advertise "up to 50% off" sales? You'll usually find only a small number of items actually acheiving that level of discount.

Personally, since my first ever connection to the phone network was via a 300-baud modem back in 1983 I am extremely happy with the 8.5 mbps connection I am getting today
Message 25 of 257
Top Contributors
Announcements