New Owner - Having Problems

Scubbie
Apprentice

Re: New Owner - Having Problems

Steve_Goodey wrote:
Setting mine to ADSL has not improved it one jot. This thread was started back in May, does it really time this amount of time to sort the firmware on this?

No it doesn't.

Apparently some of the issues were reported long before May.
Message 226 of 257
Ryster
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
No it doesn't.

Apparently some of the issues were reported long before May.

Which makes it all the worse. That'll be SIX MONTHS in a few days time. 6 months without a single firmware update or official statement on the website from Netgear.

Even if they get it right in the 2.0 firmware, this is the last Netgear product I'll ever purchase.
Message 227 of 257
keith_thfc
Tutor

You have to laugh at how this is Negear's own forum yet nobody from the company can be bothered to come on here & even admit the issues.

Says it all about their attitude to customers IMHO.
Message 228 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

keith_thfc wrote:
You have to laugh at how this is Negear's own forum yet nobody from the company can be bothered to come on here & even admit the issues.

Says it all about their attitude to customers IMHO.

On the other hand, whilst some posts might be censored, it does allow people to discuss the issues openly on a forum that it hosts.

I am aware of some companies who won't allow people to post anything nasty about them, or any non-standard fix, on their own forums.
Message 229 of 257
Joe_
Apprentice

Scubbie wrote:
I am aware of some companies who won't allow people to post anything nasty about them... ...on their own forums.

Yes. Google is one such company. For one your post just wouldn't be approved. They can even go so far as to cut your connection to their DNS server. Mind you, this being with just pure criticism - no obscenities or other transgressions that should prevent you from saying your piece. Talk about practising freedom of speech by one of the biggest corporations in the free world? :rolleyes: Hah! Doubt me? Well just try it yourself if only to learn something about a company you may be having contact with every day.

I agree with Scubbie, at least on these forums you are pretty much allowed to say whatever as long as you don't break the Forum Rules and Policies. We must remember too that it's probably Netgear's company policy to not become too involved in these User forums, 'less they be accused of meddling. While some may feel that a little company input may be welcomed, I must admit that such action could be bad for preserving pure freedom of speech. Personally, I value maintaining that freedom above all else, and give Netgear full marks for that. In all this, we must remember that we can always open a case with Netgear through the official channels.
Message 230 of 257
theTechman05
Aspirant

If it wasn't part , why do they still intervene on amazon reviews occasionally?
Message 231 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

I certainly agree with you Joe in that it is nice to be able to discuss things openly. A clean healthy discussion is always more practical than one which involves swearing at someone or being nasty in some other way to an individual or company.

It would really be nice if there was someone from Netgear able to add some sensible input by suggesting back-door solutions or helping with some difficult set up issues. Posting links to beta firmwares would be a really useful service, for example.

Mostly there is knowledge outside Netgear to get a resolution, so direct support from Netgear is not always required.

What I do like about forums such as this though is the ability to find out that your problems are not so unique. When this happens you suddenly realise that the world is not such a large place and that you are no longer alone and stress levels quickly subside.

A large number of people have posted comments on this forum regarding the Red Light issue. I wonder how many would have lodged a support ticket had this forum not existed? I suspect that most would have just returned their router with the original firmware and gone somewhere else months ago.

At the same time, and this isn't targeted at any single company, it would be much better if all computing products were properly tested before there were released. Too many products are reliant on software/firmware updates now, when the problems should have been resolved before they landed in the shops.

It would be nice if Netgear could compensate some of them for the inconvenience, but I suspect it will be unlikely.
Message 232 of 257
Joe_
Apprentice

theTechman05 wrote:
...why do they still intervene on amazon reviews occasionally?

The policy that Netgear adopts with regard to this user forum may different to the policy it applies to customer complaints posted on Amazon. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. It would be foolish IMO to adopt a single policy for all forums.
Message 233 of 257
Joe_
Apprentice

Scubbie wrote:
A clean healthy discussion is always more practical than one which involves swearing...

I agree. IMHO the freedom of speech that exist on these forums is not much different from what men and women throughout history have struggled and died for, and that is truly priceless!

It would really be nice if there was someone from Netgear able to add some sensible input by...

If I may be permitted to intuit Netgear's reasons for minimising their involvement in these forums, I would say that once you start to get involved, it then becomes a question of where do your boundaries lie? Issues may arise where people may come to demand unlimited support in the forums and then what would be the point in having a separate support portal?

At the same time, and this isn't targeted at any single company...

Again I agree. I think that it's an unfortunate spin-off where a high level of competition is involved. Unfortunately, the end users are the ones that suffer. Consumers on the whole need to wise-up and not be all too eager to get the latest and greatest. Witness too the WNDR3800 and WNDR4500 - the story is plain for all to see.

It would be nice if Netgear could compensate some of them for the inconvenience, but I suspect it will be unlikely

Right again. The only compensation (if you may call it that) that I've seen is to replace the unit with a higher end model.
Message 234 of 257
WiFi
Aspirant

My current pressing interest and need is for a replacement Router Modem and very fortunately a thoughtful member has placed a link to this Forum in a Review of the 3700.
I am posting having just reading the whole of this thread to date.

To put it mildly I am very [read VERY] disappointed to turn what is presently the last page to find that no progress has been made with the issues so many here have suffered. Reading through this sad tale slowly but surely diminished my strong desire to own one of these Router Modems. The owner of a Belkin who was suffering frequent dropped connections and jumped out of the frying pan into the fire, was the report that cooled my ardour the most. Perhaps this was because my same make Router Modem is failing. The greater majority of posts served to knock another nail in the lid of the 3700’s coffin as far as I am concerned.
Reading the User Manual did not make me feel like getting any closer to the 3700 either. Mac users have a DIY set up procedure because the makers of this expensive piece of kit cannot be bothered to make provision for a smaller but not inconsiderable number of possible customers.

The standards in this Forum are impressive, despite the problems there is an underlying resolve to find resolution, I admire your spirit and determination.

Reading between the lines suggests that the majority of users with this problem are running Windows? I ask the following because there seems to be a similar problem on the Mac when many users ‘upgraded’ to Mac OS X Lion.
As I switched to Mac several years ago I would be interested to learn if this 3700 malaise affects Apple products.

It will not be any consolation to learn that the Apple Discussion Forums are rife with very many threads on dropped connections, some of which extend to 60 to 80 pages. The length of those pages seem somewhat longer than the ones in this Forum.
Apple also adopt the ‘silence is golden’ viewpoint.
Remaining commercially viable is paramount for any business. Remaining silent buys time, enables avoidance tactics to be thought through and probably reduces the impact that an up-front statement may have on an unsettled user base. Given that some of the company ‘statements’, recorded in above posts, are not all totally believable there seems little point in being told what ‘they’ think you want to hear?

However I am still left with the problem of finding an alternative Router Modem, if indeed that is the route to take? Assuming that some users were able to fully check out the 3700’s functionality, and were not all ‘blinded’ by the ‘red light’, replicating those facilities does not appear to be an easy task?

Is a Router plus separate Modem the best way to go?

Is there a Router Modem with Dual Band similar to the 3700?

Is there an older ‘tried and tested’ Netgear model that you would entertain or would you move on to another manufacturers products?

Thanks in anticipation to any input which will be gratefully received.

Best regards.

WiFi - because the cable is too short Smiley Tongue
Message 235 of 257
smalley83
Aspirant

I've just spotted a setting in the ADSL Settings screen in the Basic Setup section.

The DSL Mode setting has 4 options:

Auto
ADSL
ADSL2
ADSL2+

My guess is that these setting may sort out the SNR issue.

I've set mine to ADSL and will work up from there.
Message 236 of 257
theTechman05
Aspirant

I'd like you to remember what your ISP is using since unless your in a place thats supports more that one format like I was told of in the U.K , only one should work. Like I found so far, not all filters are created equal.
Message 237 of 257
hbhunt
Aspirant

I am having the same problems with the 3700. it is dropping the internet connection several times a day and I have to power cycle it to get a connection again. Funny thing is I have tried to go back to the old AT&T speed
stream router and I can't get it to work at all. I am trying the router without the VoIP router connected to the 3700 to see if this changes anything. I will let you know. I have tried many different DNS addresses with the same results. I purchased this router to get the parental controls for the teenagers in the house but that is not working well right know because every time I have to reboot it the openDNS filtering stops.
Message 238 of 257
smalley83
Aspirant

Well, the Internet connection has actually stayed up overnight. So far so good. If it goes 24 hours without dropping out I'll be a little happier.
Message 239 of 257
Steve_Goodey
Aspirant

I have just purchased a Network attached storage device. Guess which company did not get considered!

I'm beginning to wonder if a fix for this heap of rubbish is ever going to appear. The BT hub I have replaced the 3700 with has been going with no problems.

Shame I didn't read http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/Netgear before buying.
Message 240 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

It is very hard to take websites which are there to evaluate customer services very seriously.

I looked up a few of other firms which I have dealings. Most of them don't even feature on their score sheet, yet they are huge companies.

Another very important thing to remember is that most people wouldn't look for such a site if they have been happy with their service, so this will hugely skew the figures.

I looked up Sky on there and they got a terrible score. Since I happen to be with Sky I am aware of many of the issues, but I am also aware that they do very well in areas not mentioned by those moaning on that site.

So sorry, I know that Netgear has a lot of work to do on this router (and many others it seems) but I personally would ignore site like that.
Message 241 of 257
Steve_Goodey
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
Deleted..

I looked up Sky on there and they got a terrible score. Since I happen to be with Sky I am aware of many of the issues, but I am also aware that they do very well in areas not mentioned by those moaning on that site.

Deleted..

My latest dealings with Sky was a nightmare of muddle and confusion. It seems that firms these days have no trouble screwing customers over. And the first port of call for complaints would be companies own support channels. It is only when those customers are ignored and feel frustrated that they move onto other sites. And after the response we have got from Netgear on their own forum, who can blame them for being so negative.
Message 242 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

My point wasn't to say that Netgear are innocent, it was to show that other companies who have a reasonable record when it comes to dealing with customers.

As for Sky specifically, I am more than aware of their level of support.

There are some instances which can be difficult to resolve, but I also know the correct contact details to chase when things cannot be resolved. In this instance there have been some very good resolutions made over the time that I have been on a support group for people who use Sky.

Employees from Sky do visit the forum regularly on an unofficial basis. Occasionally someone posts using the official Sky tech support ID too.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/
Message 243 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Just a quick update for anyone who hasn't visited the forum for a few days:

Netgear have released V1.0.0.17.

Initially just the USA/Canadian version was released, but now the version for the rest of us is also available on the same download page. Check out this thread:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=71497
Message 244 of 257
laozhu
Aspirant

I think they have FIXED THE RED LIGHT with v17. I guess those of you who had the v15 probably knew that and are fussing about IPv6 but for me to go a whole day and night without seeing a red light was a welcome sight. So what do we say? A big thank you to those who gave the rest of us faith it was a firmware issue and so didn't waste time/money sending it back to amazon. A THANKS to the netgear team who worked hard to fix the problem - and for corporate netgear, well you now have a product which can legally be sold in the UK without breaching the sale of goods act, so congratulations.

Now the device is stable for more than 5 minutes it looks good. The signal strength across a 5 story house is as good as the DG834G v2 with 2/3 bars across 5 floors - not much to show for 10 years of development you might think but speed is 3x better.

As a reward for loyal service I gave my 834 a last firmware upgrade to the .0.38 version with a view to seeing whether it could become a repeater. Sadly the machine was bricked by the upgrade and could not be recovered by the utilty. Seems netgear have found the Microsoft business model - at a time of the company's choosing we will terminate your device allowing you the privilege of buying a new one from us. RIP 834.
Message 245 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Unfortunately there are still a few members complaining that they are still experiencing this issue.

Check out this thread: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=71497

It does seem that there are fewer people experiencing this problem though, or they have given up and returned their router.
Message 246 of 257
kestrelguy
Aspirant

So, somewhat late to the party - I found the problems were primarily related to upstream line attenuation. Rain, DSLAM problems, all sorts of things cause high Db values. In these circumstances it looks like the modem was progressively lowering the data rate until it dropped - then would not reconnect. This was made a lot worse if I had "chatty" Vista machines connected on the LAN. Not sure how this works, but it definitely accellerated the problem.

So - very helpful Netgear support - three versions of firmware to work out how to play nicely with lousy 3rd world infrastructure. We have a wierd Marconi ADSL DSLAM to ATM network here. Bottom line - each iteration improved reliability and speed. Currently it is working perfectly.

Occasionally products ship with glitches - Netgear have made an effort at least and fixed it , and done that well. I have seen other suppliers who have not bothered...

The caption is - get the latest firmware.
Message 247 of 257
Steve_Goodey
Aspirant

And how did we find out about this update? Not from any input from Netgear on these forums that I can see. It was all users posting info. Netgear have been conspicuous by their absence. All it needed was a post along the lines of - we know there are problems, we are working on it, no timescale yet, please bear with us.

But from what I can see we were just left in the dark! Am I right here or am I missing something?
Message 248 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Well you could set up your router to check on-line for any updates, but this would depend on you logging in periodically and setting up the router to perform the check when you log in.
Message 249 of 257
Steve_Goodey
Aspirant

Sorry, my point being that Netgear seem to treat the forum as a dumping ground. Not as a way of informing their customers, who have spent hard earned cash on their products, or even listening to their customers.
Message 250 of 257
Top Contributors
Announcements