New Owner - Having Problems

Ryster
Aspirant

Re: New Owner - Having Problems

No arguments from me on the whole "up to" debate. Just wanted to make it clear that ADSL2+ as a technology offers up to 24Mbps despite what any ISP claims.
Message 26 of 257
bebbo
Star

ProjectVRD wrote:
Guys,

If you are looking for answers and solutions from the company then please consider posting all the information that they need. At the moment the only clue you are giving them is that is doesn't work properly, just like somebody telling a mechanic over the phone that the car won't start.

If you want a quicker fix, give them something to go on.

1 - Post the log file from the router, as well as the noise, sync, etc

2 - Post your type of internet connection

3 - Post who your ISP is

4 - Post how many devices connect to the router/modem

5 - Post what operating systems they are working on

6 - Post their network adaptors they use (for instance WNDA3100v2 etc)

7 - Post what firware those adaptors use (wired and wireless remember!!!)

These seven are the bare minimum of the sort of information you should be putting up here, and REMEMBER TO REMOVE ANY PASSWORDS, MAC ADDRESSES, IP ADDRESSES FROM LOG FILES!

Smiley Happy

I didn't realise there were tech guys reading this forum so I apologise for lack of info on here. That said, I have already been through this with Netgear tech support to no avail and they simply told me to exchange it. Easier said than done, two weeks now of waiting, the supplier has stated router operates fine on receiving it back and are delaying shipping a replacement. Going to cancel the replacement and go with a different router (and supplier!).

For info, don't bother with Lambda Tek, they may be cheap but a two week wait and still not decided what they are doing is unacceptable. I only had the router 3 days! No replacement or refund yet.
Message 27 of 257
enak
Aspirant

Symptom:

Mostly seems to be getting the red light overnight - possibly when resyncing as happens less frequently than when first setup. Speed etc is always listed in the settings when red light is on (i.e. it is connecting to exchange), only the IP missing (set to 0.0.0.0)

Answers to Questions:

Q1/

Firmware V1.0.0.12_1.0.12

Connection Mode Always On
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5056 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 52.5 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 6.4 db 20.0 db

ADSL Firmware Version A2pv6C033c.d23c
VPI 0
VCI 38
Network Type PPPoA
Connecting to server On
Negotiation On
Authentication On

Other relevant configuration:

Wifi normally switched off (configured to speed defaults, but with Mac filtering as well as the usual WPA2), occasionally switched on using front panel when using laptop but problem occurs at a different time to this.

IP address range internally is customized range rather than default.

I don't know where to find any "logs" referred to but feel free to tell me and I'll provide what I can.

Q2 & 3/
ADSLMax from PlusNet in rural location 3km-ish from exchange. BT master socket with ADSL/Telephone splitting faceplate and no BT extensions in use.

Only the one pair in use on the cable (cable dates from 1988, one pair in cable identified by BT to be crackly but not the one in use!).

No known interfering devices in the room (no I don't use wireless phone any more!)

Q4/
1x Nintendo WII, 1x PC, 1x HP Printer, 1x Homeplug AV through to a Dell laptop. Occasional Laptop use via Wifi.
Problem does seem to occur when these devices are off though so probably not relevant

Q5/
I use Linux. Again not happening in use so probably not relevant.

Q6/
Nintendo WII: USB
PC: Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E
HP: inbuilt, is model Photosmart 2575
Laptop: 512AN_HMW which is an Intel Centrino PciE (model 5100)

Q7/
No idea in all cases (feel free to tell me how)

Other notes:

Power ON/OFF pretty much always solves problem. My theory is that problem occurs when connection speed changes. The actual connection side of things stays up but the IP reverts to an uninformative 0.0.0.0.
Message 28 of 257
enak
Aspirant

Actually I should probably also add that my IP is dynamic. Besides any speed changes I suppose that is a possible trigger (I shall monitor this going forward)
Message 29 of 257
Steve_Goodey
Aspirant

So, finally got a replacement from Expansys, that was a struggle, different serial number, but same problem.

So will try rebooting/resetting and see if it settles down after a while.

Steve.
Message 30 of 257
backwards
Aspirant

I am also having the same problems. I made sure i copied all my settings from my dg834g which worked with no problems. After upgrading to this router modem, i am now having to renew connection manualy and had to reboot quite a few times.
Even more annoyingly i am now experiancing wireless connection issues. I am constantly loosing my wifi signal even though this router was supposed to have a better signal "RangeMax" and is in the same location as my DG834g was. I am very seriusly thinking of changing back and sending this back. Alot of money for headaces.
Message 31 of 257
lazyboy
Aspirant

Steve_Goodey wrote:
So, finally got a replacement from Expansys, that was a struggle, different serial number, but same problem.

So will try rebooting/resetting and see if it settles down after a while.

Steve.

Steve are you on ADSLMax or ADSL2+ ?

Since our line was switched to ADSL2+ I have not had a single disconnect and the line seems very stable; I guess there are a few backward compatibility problems with the older ADSL stds?
Message 32 of 257
luisito_ortiz
Aspirant

I've been using my modem/router for about 48 hours now without a disconnection. I had to stop using the Ready Share though, that made the router have the same kind of problems you're describing. I might try setting up a bridge later tonight using the WNDR3700 as the child AP, hope that doesn't make my DGND3700 misbehave again.
Message 33 of 257
Steve_Goodey
Aspirant

lazyboy wrote:
Steve are you on ADSLMax or ADSL2+ ?

Since our line was switched to ADSL2+ I have not had a single disconnect and the line seems very stable; I guess there are a few backward compatibility problems with the older ADSL stds?

lazyboy,

Sorry about the delay in answering!

From what I can work out I suspect I'm on ADSLMax, as my upstream=448kbps (downstream=5344kbps). I'm on a mission at the moment trying to get BT to investigate the problem. I think the key to my problem is that the router shows the modem status as connected, but the internet port section shows 0.0.0.0 for IP address, IP subnet mask, gateway ip address and domain name server.

I'm also thinking that my previous router was overcoming the problem by reconnecting without any user intervention, which the DGND3700 seems unable to do!!!!!

Boy is this frustrating.

Steve.
Message 34 of 257
lazyboy
Aspirant

Steve_Goodey wrote:
lazyboy,

I think the key to my problem is that the router shows the modem status as connected, but the internet port section shows 0.0.0.0 for IP address, IP subnet mask, gateway ip address and domain name server.

Not the key to the problem; this is the problem. The router looses DNS connectivity periodically. The modem remains connected (synch'd) so it is not a disconnect problem at all.

There definitely seems to be a problem with ADSLMax (ADSL std) connectivity because since my line was upgraded to 21CN (ADSL2+) my router has stayed stable and connected (7 days max so far).
Message 35 of 257
jason11
Aspirant

I have ADSLMax and my IP reverts to 0.0.0.0 overnight sometimes - probably about half of all mornings I have to reboot (either by the switch or the menus of the router).
Router is still synced when the problem occurs, only the IP etc is gone.
Message 36 of 257
Steve_Goodey
Aspirant

Unfortunately I can't seem to find anywhere on this router to get some decent logs to troubleshoot this. I've had to hook up a 2wite router which has logging options coming out of its ears!

That shows "dropping malicious response from" and then there's an IP address. Looking that up on google shows it's my ISPs DN server. Seems the initial DNS request gets delayed so another request is sent, in the meantime the original reply turns up but as the second request is now active it gets dropped as malicious inbound traffic. (from http://forums.att.com/t5/Receivers/quot-dropped-malicious-resp-quot-msg-in-2Wire-GWY-system-log/td-p...).

Wonder why this "Ultimate Integrated DSL Networking Gateway" can't recover when other routers seem to have no problem?
Message 37 of 257
KRONOS_100
Aspirant

I've had my DGND3700 for over two weeks now and I've been having the same dropouts.

Should I send it back or wait for a new firmware update?
Message 38 of 257
theTechman05
Aspirant

Have you made sure one of your computers aren't sharing. If you set up to stream your music over the net one of those announcements is normal. Track them to what ip adress is being used for them. If you stream music from your windows 7 pc , that will a a pnp action in the log if you have the log enabled to show them.
Message 39 of 257
enak
Aspirant

[QUOTE=KRONOS_100;352901]

Try holding down the wireless button for much longer than you think you would need to (10 seconds or so - until the lights change).
    Sadly I can't solve the annoying IP 0.0.0.0 problem but I got the wifi on/off functionality working with this bit of extra patience. Hope it works for you.
Message 40 of 257
Redalert
Tutor

[QUOTE=KRONOS_100;352901]I've had my DGND3700 for over two weeks now and I've been having the same dropouts.

I recently bought the DGND3700 and installed it yesterday...the wireless button on the front on my one also doesn't seem to work. It seems to only work randomly even if I have the button held down for more than 10 seconds.

Does anyone else have the same problem? Could it be a software related problem? So if no one else is having issues with the WiFi button, I guess it is a hardware thing and I will return it for a new one.

I also had the impression that the stand would be removable but it seems like the stand is not removable. I some how removed the stand off the router and noticed it was glued in placed onto the router.
Message 41 of 257
KRONOS_100
Aspirant

Cheers to both theTechman05 and enak you both helped fix the [UPnP set event: Public_UPNP_C3] messages and my wifi on/off problems. I've just got to sort out the constant drop outs now :-)
Message 42 of 257
BitStream
Aspirant

Wow so I'm not alone then. I've had my DGND3700 for a couple of weeks and the connection "freezes" almost every day. Prior to that my DGN2000 gave me a rock solid connection. Rebooting the router is the only way to get the connection back. My ISP has run detailed diagnostics for the past 4 days and this has not thrown up anything untoward on my line. I put my DGN2000 back on and the connection didn't drop at all. back on the DGND3700 and it's all gone south again :-(
Message 43 of 257
BitStream
Aspirant

This is driving me mad now. Put my old router back on and the connection remained solid. Back on the DGND3700 and got a red internet light after 5 minutes. I can't believe I paid so much for a router that doesn't work properly.
Message 44 of 257
theTechman05
Aspirant

Just to be dipsy, the router was bought in the specific country your using it in right. It would just be my luck if somebody bought a europe flashed router and used it in the U.S that maybe there's different dsl settings to each. I almost did it thats why I thinking that could be the case.

I still like to see since if thats not the case, if the cable wan port works as intended and doesn't cause all this love. I mean I'm not going to buy this as a supplemental router but I haven't heard if that side of the router works without cursing.

I'd assume the dsl firmware is controlled by the isp and pushed out when its plugged in and successfully connected. Hopefully someone's not forgetting to tell the tech there not using the isp's router when they have problems connecting.

I don't know. I'm sure I'll find out if and when I get mine.
Message 45 of 257
theTechman05
Aspirant

It probably doesn't matter but I was looking at that since I saw a few here were from U.k where I think the MEC was being used maybe they are as I might have said before tracking by mac address.

One site beusergroup mentioned copying the mac address from the router your ISP gave you.

That would be an interesting way to stop people from using newer routers with features incompatible. If its like a torrent program maybe they can track it by the mac address for use with NAT. Visstumbler can tell me who's using what brand just like netgear needs to know what firmware\brand you have to push you an update.
Message 46 of 257
BitStream
Aspirant

I bought mine in the UK from a UK supplier and I live in the UK. Since my last post it H ave had the red internet light again :-(
Message 47 of 257
theTechman05
Aspirant

O.k this is my last hypothisis on this and its one I wish I could try without having one to throw against the wall as some probably have.

My thought is we as users of the dsl side know our current/previous routers work but the new one doesn't or is inconsistent. My thought is maybe our/your isp does not support adsl2 (even though this should support the dsls below it) and the isp is still transmitting that it does support adsl2 and they have it blocked for testing like with LTE so the auto setup is setting the router configuration wrong.

My resolve thought for this is since the old router works, make sure the settings the auto in the 3700 is using match. That's the first thing I think of but that still doesn't explain the connects and disconnects. It would be like the routers seeing it self too far away from the home office and getting intermittent signals. If you have adsl2 confirmed support that should let you go a few thousand feet further than ye olde dsl.

Take my words chew them and if I'm lucky I cure world hunger or at least a small island or two:rolleyes:. If not well I'd still like to know what the end solution is and was:eek:.
Message 48 of 257
BitStream
Aspirant

I configured my router manually using exactly the same settings as with my previous router. I have walked through the settings with my ISP (PlusNet) to ensure they are correct.
Message 49 of 257
Steve_Goodey
Aspirant

I'm thinking that this could be a combination of two problems? Using a 2wire router to monitor the line it is seeing the downstream noise margin intermittantly dropping to zero and then recovering. The 2wire router seems able to deal with this and resumes internet connectivity.

However I suspect the DGND3700 may fail and not recover. Monitoring the noise margin on the 3700 it is normally about 9db, but I have seen it go down to approx 6.4db and then the internet light turns red. The noise margin stays at 6.4 until the 3700 is rebooted when the noise margin recovers to 9db.

Anybody any thoughts on if this could be right?

Steve.
Message 50 of 257
Top Contributors
Announcements