New Owner - Having Problems

theTechman05
Aspirant

Re: New Owner - Having Problems

Didn't somewhere it say you have to be up about 15db and nothing less. Somewhere I saw that's considered the "sweet spot" any thing lower and the tech should look into. I'm about 25db down 17 up with a margin of 13.5 (don't know where to change the margin though) I'd just check that with your isp thats my understanding. Somewhere there was a wiki with all these settings,distance,ect, and all I can find is the history of dsl.
Message 51 of 257
theTechman05
Aspirant

The two sites I found on dbs for dsl are on how stuff works searching vdsl(which is not supported in the firmware so moderator yes I know) The signal strengh was from dsl reports Modem dsl statistics Just thought I'd post my sources
Message 52 of 257
bilbonvidia
Novice

Is there anyone with who is on ADSL2+ who is having the disconnect issue at all?
Message 53 of 257
enakn
Aspirant

Hi,

Two recent observations...

1. I noticed the red light come on, and go green again the other day - so evidently it can sometimes recover itself from things.

2. I am finding that the "reboot" option in the settings is an effective solution each time to save me getting out of my chair when I find the problem!

Has anybody tried re-flashing their unit with the published firmware? My unit came shipped with latest firmware already but I notice that someone with a static IP has resolved their issue on another thread by re-flashing their firmware with the published firmware of same version.
(ponders whether to ask plusnet for a static ip for now...)
Message 54 of 257
TX200
Tutor

Hi,
I'm on ADSL and was having the red light problem until I decided to save my config settings and do a factory reset on the router. So far the router hasn't had the red light problem now for the last ten days. I'm keeping an eye on things though, but so far so good! It may be worth a try for those who haven't done a reset yet.
Message 55 of 257
theTechman05
Aspirant

I think your the 4th or 5th to say re installing the firmware works:eek:. Maybe its an unknown glitch with the new memory being usedSmiley Sad. Has anyone got errors to confirm a memory issue.

I just know when I upgraded to a bigger drive in windows the image wasn't exact(memory errors and such) and I ended up backing up and reinstalling:confused:.

Post again when you get to day 15 please:rolleyes:.
Message 56 of 257
BitStream
Aspirant

Today my very expensive DGND3700 gave up the ghost. It won't even sync with the exchange and I can't access it via my browser. I have performed a factory reset three times and left it off for a hour(ish) between attempt to revive it but it is now terminal. Question is now, do I go for a refund or replacement? Good old DGN200 and Netgear GB switch in place and rock solid. Oh how I missed that :-(
Message 57 of 257
JohnR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have heard that there will be a new firmware coming up the first week of July. Will be trying it, hope it will be fixing these issues.
Thanks,

JohnR
Netgear Community Team
Message 58 of 257
BitStream
Aspirant

Sounds promising. Too late for my router though.
Message 59 of 257
TX200
Tutor

Spoke too soon, another red light this morning! Back to the drawing board. Maybe it's a buffer overun issue? Oh well, let's hope new firmware is on its way!
Message 60 of 257
theTechman05
Aspirant

Nhellie wrote:
I have heard that there will be a new firmware coming up the first week of July. Will be trying it, hope it will be fixing these issues.

Where did you hear this. You have a good rumor site to follow?
Message 61 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Interestingly I've been experiencing some reconnection issues too. I've only had the router since Monday afternoon.

I had put it down to the likelihood that I was pushing this new router too much.

For reference I did plug an external drive into the rear USB port. This was having problems every time the router reset itself. So for now I have unplugged it.

I also have a PC that is constantly on-line dealing with my torrent. I don't max out my connection as I know from previous experience that this can actually slow everything down.
Message 62 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Steve_Goodey wrote:
I'm thinking that this could be a combination of two problems? Using a 2wire router to monitor the line it is seeing the downstream noise margin intermittantly dropping to zero and then recovering. The 2wire router seems able to deal with this and resumes internet connectivity.

However I suspect the DGND3700 may fail and not recover. Monitoring the noise margin on the 3700 it is normally about 9db, but I have seen it go down to approx 6.4db and then the internet light turns red. The noise margin stays at 6.4 until the 3700 is rebooted when the noise margin recovers to 9db.

Noise margins are used by some ISPs to shape the signal & speed.

Target noise margins vary between ISPs, but I have heard of 3dB, 5dB, 7dB & 9dB being used by different ISPs and the final result will be with what your line can handle.

If your noise margin is variable, you may wish to check that this is the case with another router first, but I would suspect a line issue with such a large variation.

It is normal to get a small change. Mine typically varies between 6.7dB & 7.5dB.

From what I have learnt elsewhere line issues in this case can be anything from poor quality cable (i.e. aluminium or old copper), problems with the connections in the green street cabinet or the connections at the exchange. I would also look at the possibility of a problem caused by REIN.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

I would also check that you are using a good quality microfilter and plugging the router into the Master socket.
Message 63 of 257
GlynM
Novice

I'm new here and having exactly the same problems as being reported in this thread. So at least it is comforting to find that I'm not alone.

I have had my DGND3700 for a couple of weeks. I bought it because I wanted something that was ready for FTTC. Unfortunately FTTC has slipped recently in area which has caused my migration to be in two steps. This does though possibly add some extra information about the problems with the 3700.

I was on BE LLU, ADSL2 until yesterday when I was migrated over to BT. As the sync rates stayed around the same I guess that I am still on ADSL2 but the router is just set to auto.

In the 2 weeks the router has been used on the BE LLU I have had no problems at all. However since the migration to BT, around midday yesterday, the router has lost connection around 6 times.

During the faulty condition the Rx noise level drops to around 1db. The reported sync rates, both Tx & Rx are unchanged (around 4000 & 400kb/s). The Tx noise also remains ok.

The way I found to recover the router was to disconnect then reconnect the ADSL input.

I have been using router stats to log the problem.

Here is grab of the RX noise graph from last night:

Note that the at the failure the noise stayed down and only came back up after disconnecting/reconnecting the ADSL input. The varying length of time of these outages reflects how long it took to discover the fault and probably my learning curve as these were my first outages.

Here is the relative RX sync rate graph:

Note here that the sync rate stayed up and only went down for the short period that I broke the adsl input.

I am getting very fed up with this. My nest task is to go back to my old DG834G V4 and will contemplate whether to send the 3700 back.

I hope that perhaps these observation might help someone get to the bottom of this issue.

Glyn
Message 64 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

I was on the phone to tech support yesterday.

The guy got me to download & reinstall the current firmware (V1.0.0.12_1.0.12). I had to plug in an old router to download the file as it wouldn't download on two separate computers using the 3700.

Initially it seemed to work just fine, but later it started to play up again.

He did assure me that there would be a new firmware released by the end of the month. I should have checked whether he meant June or July. I am hoping that this will rectify the current issues.
Message 65 of 257
theTechman05
Aspirant

See if they have a beta firmware for you. Sure you can't spread it out to the whole forum community but you can see if it improves your experience so we can look positively towards it coming out.

I kind of wonder how the work load is expected during summer months at Netgear. An opensource developer for zip genius slowed down during the summer and when I reported a problem on their forum , they were on their way out for vacation.

I hope your right since today's the 30th in the U.S so I hope it gets released before the developers see lights in their eyes this weekend. Developers have a life too. My experience had me troubleshooting throughout a building and coding , so depending how they're structured that could be their path.
Message 66 of 257
theTechman05
Aspirant

Anyone try downloading .13 ? I changed the link and with a valid serial number it looks might it might exist. Someone humor me and try that. It'll probably result in a bad link.
Message 67 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

theTechman05 wrote:
Anyone try downloading .13 ? I changed the link and with a valid serial number it looks might it might exist. Someone humor me and try that. It'll probably result in a bad link.

It didn't work Smiley Sad

I also attempted to download version 12 again and if only partially downloaded once more (1602KB). This was repeated on the North American version. It should be 8007KB.

So it looks like I may need to connect another router when the new version is made available too. :mad:
Message 68 of 257
BitStream
Aspirant

How sad is this. I have received a new replacement router for my recently RMA'd DGND3700 and I don't want to put it in my system because I know my connection will randomly drop when I do. Since going back to my DGN2000 I haven't had a single disconnection. I think I'll wait until new firmware comes out and see if this is fixed before using it.
Message 69 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

I've managed to get mine to work a little more stable than previously.

After calling Netgear, a couple of changes were made. I reversed one of them as it left my LAN prone to attack :eek:.

The default MTU was changed however and the router hasn't fallen over as often since.

The other change I've made is surrounding the external drive I was using. I've plugged a smaller drive in yesterday, having left my larger drive disconnected for a few days.

The router again hasn't fallen over for some 3 days now (the last time I had my large drive connected). Prior to that it was up for just over 5 days. Again this was when I last tried to use my large external drive on the router.

So I guess that at the moment the DGND3700 cannot cope with large amounts of files for sharing and the MTU settings need to be correctly set up.

My ISP's MTU = 1500
Router currently set to 1400.

1st drive = 1TB (around 500Gb used)
2nd drive = 55Gb (around 50Gb used)
Message 70 of 257
jimmyshoo980
Aspirant

Hi All, well add me to the current list of users with this model that has issues with the internet dropping out (DSL light stays active). Logged a case file with Netgear and they are still advising to load firmware version 1.0.0.12. No mention of new version coming. Have reloaded it and will see if it drops out, I suspect it will.
Message 71 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

jimmyshoo980 wrote:
Hi All, well add me to the current list of users with this model that has issues with the internet dropping out (DSL light stays active). Logged a case file with Netgear and they are still advising to load firmware version 1.0.0.12. No mention of new version coming. Have reloaded it and will see if it drops out, I suspect it will.

This did help with mine.

I've managed to keep my router up for over 7 days without it resetting now (longer if I hadn't plugged the 1TB drive in again).

There is a new firmware version under development. I don't have any more information on a release date though.
Message 72 of 257
jimmyshoo980
Aspirant

Good to hear Scubbie, so far it has gone 14Hrs with no drop out, will keep everyone posted.
Message 73 of 257
jimmyshoo980
Aspirant

Well spoke to soon, only lasted 18hrs and then dropped out again. I have gone back to my old Belkin just to allow access to the internet and no problems at all. Will go back to support and see what's next??
Message 74 of 257
BitStream
Aspirant

Well that's it. My replacement DGND3700 stayed connected for just over 24 hours then dropped the connection right in the middle of a large download whilst I was out. It's back in its box and I'm back using the DGN2000 and GB switch. I am so angry and disappointed.
Message 75 of 257
Top Contributors
Announcements