New Owner - Having Problems

BitStream
Aspirant

Re: New Owner - Having Problems

It's sadly laughable that the official UK website (I'm a UK customer) still shows this router as "Coming Soon". Did we all buy beta versions :eek: Smiley Very Happy
Message 76 of 257
Morelli
Aspirant

Well I'm just coming up to 25 days "Up Time". Not bad.
Any idea as to why the LAN1 Status is shown at 100M when the PC is connected via PowerPlug 200MB. I've run LAN Speed Test which show writng to Readyshare at 29.3244553Mbps.
Message 77 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Morelli wrote:
Well I'm just coming up to 25 days "Up Time". Not bad.
Any idea as to why the LAN1 Status is shown at 100M when the PC is connected via PowerPlug 200MB. I've run LAN Speed Test which show writng to Readyshare at 29.3244553Mbps.

Nice uptime!

The HomePlugs that are rated as '200Mbps' are actually 100Mbps duplex. Don't you just love the way that they advertise these things? :rolleyes:

If the LAN port in your PC is rated to 1Gbit, you may wish to investigate getting a new pair of HomePlugs. There are now some available which are rated to 1Gbit. These can cost from £68.75 on eBay.
Message 78 of 257
bilbonvidia
Novice

Are parental controls still blocking pages for everyone after they re-boot the router?
Message 79 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

eeeeeekkkk! :eek:

My router completely hung up and I've had to reset it.

I initially switched it off & on after a few seconds, but I got the infamous Red light! Smiley Sad

I tried several times to power the router on & off, but this failed.

Thankfully I managed to unlock it by pressing the rest button underneath. :cool:
Message 80 of 257
scratend
Aspirant

For what it's worth, I'd like to report the same problem. I have a DGND3700 running firmware version V1.0.0.12_1.0.12 and connected via DSL and on average I'd say that once per day my internet connection drops out (with the top red WAN indicator lit) and the unit fails to reconnect automatically. The only way to restore the connection is to reboot (either via the web interface or by power cycling the unit). During this time, the wireless and wired LAN continue to function, it's just the WAN which has gone down. I can't see anything useful in the log. I'm not sure what DSL mode I'm using since I have this setting on AUTO.

To me there are two distinct issues here:

1 - Why the connection goes down in the first place. This is the real issue to solve but it's likely to be complex since it could involve one or more issues with configuration settings, telephone line or my ISP.

2- Why the router doesn't automatically reconnect. This is the one I'd like to solve right now. The router obviously recognises that there's a problem (because the WAN indicator is red) and that problem can obviously be rectified (because rebooting always works).

As a software engineer who frequently has to diagnose problems remotely, I will readily agree that issue 1 will be a tricky one with no single cause or solution. Netgear should be able to fix the second one though - it's much more self contained.

Aside from that, this was an expensive router. I thought I was paying a premium to get a top quality solution. So far this has not been the case.
Message 81 of 257
Tofuboi1986
Aspirant

Unfortunately, I too am getting the same problems as most of you here. Just bought it last week because it has all great features. Unfortunately I have to go back to my dgnd3300 because of things like network dropouts (yellow ! Comes up on network icon) and the Internet drops etc. I am running the latest firmware that everyone says is running too.

I am on Telstra bigpond in Australia. I get great adsl sync speed and the gigabit speed and wireless n speeds are great. Just it keeps disconnecting, or goes really slow in comparison to the 3300.

I hope something gets done soon.
Message 82 of 257
dewi
Tutor

lazyboy wrote:
Since our line was switched to ADSL2+ I have not had a single disconnect and the line seems very stable; I guess there are a few backward compatibility problems with the older ADSL stds?

I just regraded from ADSL2+ to ADSL1 at my ISP's suggestion. I just got the red light for the first time. The DGDN3700 had been connected for 3-4 weeks continuously on ADSL2+.

Hasy anyone had the red light problem with ADSL2+, or is it an ADSL1-only issue?
Message 83 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

dewi wrote:
Hasy anyone had the red light problem with ADSL2+, or is it an ADSL1-only issue?

My connection is ADSL2+ based.

When I mentioned the fact that I had now had a 'red light' issue to the Netgear Support Tech, his next response was to talk about returning the router.

That was arranged over the weekend and this morning I have boxed it all up and it is now on-route to the Post Office to be returned. Smiley Sad
Message 84 of 257
jimmyshoo980
Aspirant

Hi All, Like Scubbie Netgear advised to return the unit whcih I did on Saturday. The new unit has run for a couple of days now with no interruption. I am however sceptical and will give it a good week or two before saying "I'm happy". The longest run I had was 5.5 days! Tick, tock, tick, tock........
Message 85 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

jimmyshoo980 wrote:
Hi All, Like Scubbie Netgear advised to return the unit whcih I did on Saturday. The new unit has run for a couple of days now with no interruption. I am however sceptical and will give it a good week or two before saying "I'm happy". The longest run I had was 5.5 days! Tick, tock, tick, tock........

My replacement is due to arrive sometime today, provided that it is on time.

The tracker information is unusually poor for this particular package. Previously with this courier I got a lot more information, at the moment I have nothing more than stating that it is a 'Next Day' package.

On my original DGND3700 I was able to keep it going for over 7 days without interruption. The final 'interruption' was caused by me making some specific changes that reset it. This I should add was after I had a Beta firmware installed to help with the DLNA issues.

I should add that whilst the Beta firmware helped hugely, it didn't resolve all the problems.
Message 86 of 257
Ryster
Aspirant

You have a beta firmware? Smiley Wink Any sign of that IPv6 support we are discussing in the other thread?
Message 87 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Ryster wrote:
You have a beta firmware? Smiley Wink Any sign of that IPv6 support we are discussing in the other thread?

No there wasn't Smiley Sad

I would have provided clearer clues if there had been. Smiley Wink Knowing that there was a Beta version prompted me to make the suggestion I did with regards to you contacting Netgear for it.

Before anyone asks for a copy, part of the terms stipulated and agreed to are that it can't be forwarded to others, so please ask through Netgear support as this provides a portal to discuss feedback directly with the bods in Netgear.

The version I have is specifically tailored towards the DLNA issues. I don't know if it was tailored to include fixes for the other problems I have listed, but certainly some things hadn't been fixed.

These were helped in the version I have, but not cured 100%.
Message 88 of 257
enakn
Aspirant

Apologies if this is a stupid question but what does DLNA stand for?
:confused:
Message 89 of 257
dewi
Tutor

It stands for Digital Living Network Alliance. The DGND3700 should be able to stream audio/video to any DLNA-certified digital media player, e.g. a PS3
Message 90 of 257
enakn
Aspirant

Thanks dewi - I learn something every day!
Not a feature I'm likely to use soon I guess. Lets hope whilst they're fixing firmware for that they might notice the red light bug.
Message 91 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

There appears to be three main ways in which DLNA is utilised at present. The group names are of my own making and may not be correct.

Server: maintains a catalogue of the files ready for sharing and categorises them, providing access as required

Streamer: streams content on demand to another device

Player: plays the content either on-demand from a Server or when told by a Streamer

Windows 7, for example, allows me to maintain a DLNA database through Windows Media Player, for my DLNA activated TV to access and play on demand.

I can also transfer YouTube content, for example, from my Laptop to my TV by clicking an icon within the video image if I hover over it.

From my understanding the Xbox & PS3 both allow the latter two choices as well.

Admittedly my Laptop is having problems with creating the DLNA database. This is something that I need to look into at a later date.

A DLNA database is made up from the following main components:

DLNA is actually based on uPnP technology, reducing the technical knowledge required to get any two devices to talk to one another.
Message 92 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Scubbie wrote:
My replacement is due to arrive sometime today, provided that it is on time.

The replacement router arrived this afternoon as is already up and running.

It was a brand new router. The RMA information requested that I only return the router & PSU. The replacement contained all that you would normally get in a new package.

As I'd saved the settings to a config file, I was able to get the replacement up & running within 20 minutes. It's been working since then, but without the external drive.

Now to put it to work... :cool:
Message 93 of 257
Ryster
Aspirant

Regarding DLNA, I highly recommend Serviio as a DLNA server if you want to host it from your PC rather than your router. It's very powerful, lightweight and can transcode many formats to all sorts of device such as Xbox 360, PS3, DLNA support TVs and software such as XBMC. Check it out Smiley Happy
http://www.serviio.org
Message 94 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Many thanks for that tip Ryster.

It certainly looks a lot cleaner and smoother than Samsung's software.

I've just installed it & set it to share some video files on my desktop. I'll do some further testing shortly once it has composed it's database.
Message 95 of 257
Ryster
Aspirant

You're welcome Scubbie... I have it running on my Server 2008 R2 box that is online 24/7. Anything I download or rip, I put into a set of predefined folders on my server which Serviio then auto-indexes every 5-10 minutes or so (auto-indexing that works, unlike Netgear's version in this router Smiley Tongue). It works like a charm.

I'm currently testing beta 2 of version 0.6 of serviio. This lets you add online feed such as BBC iPlayer and YouTube and have those streamed to your devices too Smiley Happy
Message 96 of 257
jimmyshoo980
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
The replacement router arrived this afternoon as is already up and running.

It was a brand new router. The RMA information requested that I only return the router & PSU. The replacement contained all that you would normally get in a new package.

As I'd saved the settings to a config file, I was able to get the replacement up & running within 20 minutes. It's been working since then, but without the external drive.

Now to put it to work... :cool:

Well I figured it was too good to be true, after 6.5 days of operation with no drop outs, the inhenrent problem in this model has popped up again. Internet has fropped out with the red internet light on. Have emailed NETGEAR support yet again......
Message 97 of 257
enakn
Aspirant

Sorry to hear that.

The only comfort I've found with the red light issue is that it settles down a bit with time.

I did reset mine and try reloading the firmware.
I suppose it _might_ have lessened the effect a bit because it still happens, but less often. Perhaps though it is just that the less disconnects or RADSL changes you get the less chances it has to fail its reconnect or whatever its doing.
Message 98 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Thankfully my replacement router has been relatively trouble free. It has been up & running now since it arrived.

I played around with my setup over the weekend and it is currently showing nearly 5 days up time. At the moment I am hooking through the Sky router and using the Sky router effectively as a Modem, with it's WiFi disabled.

The Netgear is connected via the Ethernet WAN port and is effectively controlling my LAN, WiFi & Internet access.
Message 99 of 257
graham131
Aspirant

Good Evening All - i too am now experiencing this issue of the red light internet drop. Is there any news on the June / July promised firmware? It is really bizarre because for the 1st 4 weeks i used the router all was fine, however i had cause to reboot it twice last week due to the red light. Then all of a sudden today i am only holding a connection for about 5 to 10 mins at a time, before redlighting. 3 ways then resolve it. 1 - Power off / on 2 - reboot from within admin console 3 - remove ADSP lead - wait for red light to go out - then reinsert lead and wait for resync Do you think it might be worth doing the firmware reinstall or the factory reset trick? Thanks Graham
Message 100 of 257
Top Contributors
Announcements