New Owner - Having Problems

Scubbie
Apprentice

Re: New Owner - Having Problems

graham131 wrote:
Do you think it might be worth doing the firmware reinstall or the factory reset trick?

I would suggest that you give it a try.

Backup your router's settings first.

Download the image & ensure that the file size is that same as what is mentioned on the website. If it comes back as 1602KB then it is wrong and you have got the same issue as myself.

The file 'DGND3700-V1.0.0.12_1.0.12.chk' should be 8007KB.

I found that i had to use a different router to download from the Netgear website and I have reported it.

Note: I downloaded the International version, not the US version. The figures quoted are specific to that version.
Message 101 of 257
BitStream
Aspirant

Just managed 7 days 22 hours and 55 minutes on beta 13 of the firmware. That's a record. Shortest connection, just 3 minutes!
Message 102 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

BitStream wrote:
Just managed 7 days 22 hours and 55 minutes on beta 13 of the firmware. That's a record. Shortest connection, just 3 minutes!

The router I have now has been up, without a break, for nearly 8 days, as they should. Prior to that it was unbroken for a whole week.

The only reason for the break was swapping it from using another router as a Modem (connecting via the Ethernet WAN port) to what I am doing now, which is to connect it via the ADSL port.
Message 103 of 257
theTechman05
Aspirant

So with at least the last 2 posts seeing positive with the beta, has any verbal tech support call mentioned when 13 will be out in the wild:rolleyes:.

So far if I compare to the readynas forum beta's , we'd probably have to wait till october till a new firmware comes out but Smiley Very Happy the longer I wait without using betas is the chance I will find some thing better.
Message 104 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

I should point out that this is the 2nd router I've had. The first was using the same Beta firmware but it locked out with the red light issue and the next thing I was being asked to return it.

This one has not yet failed in that respect, but the first took around 4 weeks to 'red-light' on me.

I would hope that this one won't 'red-light' on me.

As for a release date, I haven't any further news myself. I have requested a copy of the next available firmware, but nothing was available.
Message 105 of 257
AnthonyA
Aspirant

I'd like to add my name to the list of people who are having the connection-dropping issue. The connection lasts anywhere between 5 minutes and 5 hours. When the ADSL connection drops the red light comes on and the only way I can reconnect is by resetting the router. The frequency of the disconnects increases in the evening, presumably due to higher network load. I'm on Plusnet ADSL in the UK.

I've spoken to (level 1) technical support and they've told me they don't know if a new firmware is in the pipeline, and *if* there is a new firmware in development, they don't know if this issue will be addressed. After several requests, I've now been referred to level 2 technical support.

I've been very disappointed with the level of support Netgear have provided thus far.
Message 106 of 257
keith_thfc
Tutor

Got my new DGND3700 yesterday and have the same issue with it dropping sync every few mins and then requiring a manual reboot.

Tried factory restore & firmware reflash but nothing has helped so have raised a ticket with Netgear.

Am less than happy about this as you can imagine given it was at the top end of my price budget. I at least it expected it to hold sync (which my trusty old Thomson TG585 does with no probs).

Are there any beta versions of the firmware available anywhere that I could try?

Thinking I should return this device as its clearly not fit for purpose if it means waiting for new firmware just to use it. Smiley Sad
Message 107 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Assuming that you are connecting via ADSL, have you gone through the process of checking your telephone line for noise?; ensuring that you are using the short ADSL cable supplied with the router; using the Test Socket; Swapping the filter; and any other checks to ensure that there are no outside influences to cause your connection to drop?
Message 108 of 257
Steve_Goodey
Aspirant

Seems keith_thfc is saying his previous router did not have problems which the DGND3700 is having on the same line. This is the same as me. Substituting the 3700 for a 2wire make router it works OK, stick the 3700 on and the problem starts.

Netgear are now rma'ing my router for the second time. The first one went back to Expansys the replacement was no better. I explained to Netgear this is my second 3700 but they want to swap it again.

It seems from previous posts that there is a beta firmware upgrade available. But on my ticket the tech support didn't know about this or didn't think it would make any difference.

Really, really beginning to regret buying this thing. Smiley Sad

Steve.
Message 109 of 257
keith_thfc
Tutor

Scubbie wrote:
Assuming that you are connecting via ADSL, have you gone through the process of checking your telephone line for noise?; ensuring that you are using the short ADSL cable supplied with the router; using the Test Socket; Swapping the filter; and any other checks to ensure that there are no outside influences to cause your connection to drop?
Yes I have checked all these.

I have another router which works fine with no drop outs.
Message 110 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

keith_thfc wrote:
Yes I have checked all these.

I have another router which works fine with no drop outs.

No problem, I saw that the Thomson router appears to work well on the same line. It might be that it has superior abilities to stay connected.

Here in the UK a simple line test would involve using a corded telephone and dialling '1'. Any hint of a crackle or hiss would be bad. A call would then be required to your line provider who would arrange for an engineer to repair the line.
Message 111 of 257
keith_thfc
Tutor

Scubbie wrote:
No problem, I saw that the Thomson router appears to work well on the same line. It might be that it has superior abilities to stay connected.

Here in the UK a simple line test would involve using a corded telephone and dialling '1'. Any hint of a crackle or hiss would be bad. A call would then be required to your line provider who would arrange for an engineer to repair the line.
Thanks Scubbie.

My ISP (Be There) had me doing quiet line tests a few weeks ago & Openreach rewired my entire connection back to the exchange.

The Thomson TG585 works fine but I'm hopefully moving to a (non Infinity) BT Fibre service in a few weeks time when enabled - hence why I bought this new device.

Spent a little time talking to Netgear earlier (impressed they were open Sundays) and they are going to see if there are any newish beta firmware versions I could potentially try.

They got me to lower the MTU to 1400 and also tweak the WAN setup so it always uses 'DSL WAN'. Will monitor & keep an eye on it but not expecting this to work.

One other thing that may be of relevance - Be There recently switched my profile from ADSL2+ to ADSL1 to improve my speed (am on a long line). The Netgear DGND3700 only works for me if my 'ADSL Settings' are set to AUTO or ADSL. I noticed some other replies in this thread saying that stability had improved since they were moved to ADSL2+ so wondered if this could be part of the issue I'm having.
Message 112 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Changing the MTU to 1400 did help with my connection with the first unit I had. I haven't needed to with this 2nd one.

I would suggest the following to see if there is any improvement. Sorry if it sounds long winded, but it could help.

It sounds complex, but I would suggest that anyone who upgrades their DGND3700's firmware do this process until further notice.
Message 113 of 257
PotemkinSunJuan
Aspirant

Curious. I too have a new one of these things, and found yesterday that the "Modem" was showing as connected, but the "ADSL port" was showing 0.0.0.0 against IP settings. I switched the router off for 30 minutes, before restarting it, and it has been fine since. I will report back if the symptoms reappear.
Message 114 of 257
keith_thfc
Tutor

Scubbie - many thanks! Just tried what you suggested but problem is still occurring so going to give up on this for now, go back to my other router and wait for Netgear to get back to me.

PotemkinSunJuan - where exactly do you see the 0.0.0.0? I also see that the Modem is showing as 'connected' in the status page.

The most frustrating thing is that when the connection drops all the router lights show as green so to get internet connection again I have to physically reboot it each time.

Think I may be returning this device and getting something else which isn't made by Netgear - just have no confidence in this thing having wasted most of the weekend on troubleshooting this.
Message 115 of 257
PotemkinSunJuan
Aspirant

For the second time today, the same issue.
Here is the router status to show the symptoms in more detail.
A reboot seems to fix, but clearly this should not be happening in the first place..

Router Status
Hardware Version DGND3700
Firmware Version V1.0.0.12_1.0.12
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.12
Internet Port
MAC Address A0:29:B7:79:59:3B
IP Address 0.0.0.0
Network Type PPPoE
IP Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
Gateway IP Address 0.0.0.0
Domain Name Server 0.0.0.0
LAN Port
MAC Address A0:29:B7:79:59:3B
IP Address 192.168.0.1
DHCP On
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Modem
ADSL Firmware Version A2pv6C033c.d23c
Modem Status connected
DownStream Connection Speed 2528 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38
Wireless Port
Region Europe
Wireless Settings (2.4GHz b/g/n)
Name (SSID)
Channel 6
Mode Up to 54 Mbps
Wireless AP On
Broadcast Name Off
Wireless Isolation Off
Wireless Settings (5GHz a/n)
Name (SSID)
Channel 36(P)+40(S)
Mode Up to 300 Mbps
Wireless AP On
Broadcast Name Off
Wireless Isolation Off
Guest Network
Wireless Settings (2.4GHz b/g/n)
Guest Profile 2
Wireless AP Off
Guest Profile 3
Wireless AP Off
Guest Profile 4
Wireless AP Off
Wireless Settings (5GHz a/n)
Guest Profile 2
Wireless AP Off
Guest Profile 3
Wireless AP Off
Guest Profile 4
Wireless AP Off
Wireless Repeating
Wireless Repeating Function (2.4GHz b/g/n)
Repeater MAC Address 1 00:1B:2F:8F:21:24
Repeater MAC Address 2 30:46:9A:11:2CSmiley Very HappyA
Repeater MAC Address 3 -
Repeater MAC Address 4 -
Message 116 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

@PotemkinSunJuan: Have you tried resetting your router?

Save all the current settings to a config file, then press the reset button for around 10 seconds and restore your config file to the router.

If this doesn't work, reinstall the current firmware (as described in a previous post in this thread) and see if that helps.

In the mean time chase Netgear's support team and see if they can help with a firmware update.
Message 117 of 257
dewi
Tutor

keith_thfc wrote:
Thinking I should return this device as its clearly not fit for purpose if it means waiting for new firmware just to use it. Smiley Sad

If you can return the router, I would. Netgear level 2 support is aware of the red light disconnection issue and is trying to diagnose the problem, but I don't know how long it'll be before new firmware is available.

A high proportion of users reporting this issue on this forum seem to have an ADSL1 connection. My own problems started after I migrated from ADSL2+ to ADSL1.

I've purchased a Billion 7800N, which works perfectly on the same line. My DGND3700 is sitting in a cupboard waiting for the day new firmware is released.
Message 118 of 257
keith_thfc
Tutor

dewi wrote:

I've purchased a Billion 7800N, which works perfectly on the same line. My DGND3700 is sitting in a cupboard waiting for the day new firmware is released.

What will you do with the Billion 7800N if/when Netgear release new firmware for the DGND3700 which solves this?

I've been looking at the Billion 7800N as a replacement in case I have to return my DGND3700 - to me they looked like they did similar things so wouldn't want to have both.

Personally - I don't have the red light issue or the one with the 0.0.0.0 IP settings.

Netgear asked me to do a ping test and when I lost internet connectivity it could still see my router, yet would time out when trying to see yahoo.com. I haven't yet fed this back to Netgear so not 100% sure what it confirms.

It could be that the Negear will work fine when I move to another ISP & their Fibre service in a few weeks time but if I wait until then it may be too late to get a refund.....
Message 119 of 257
dewi
Tutor

When Netgear release firmware for the DGND3700 that solves the red light issue, I'll see which router gives me the best sync rate/download speeds, and sell the other one. At the moment, I'm inclined to keep the Billion 7800N, as it's been rock-stable since I bought it two weeks ago.

I've only ended up with both routers because the red light issue didn't appear until it was too late to return the DGDN3700 to the retailer (at least, without a fight). I bought the DGDN3700 at the beginning of June. It worked well for a few weeks. My problems started when I migrated from ADSL2+ to ADSL1. After that, I started to get the red light every few days. I'd have to reboot the router to restore the Internet connection. I saw the Billion 7800N advertised for a good price, so I bought it a couple of weeks ago. It's worked flawlessly since then.

The DGND3700 has a slightly better hardware specification than the 7800N (dual band 2.5/5 GHz, dual core processor, USB port), but I don't think the Netgear firmware is fit for purpose in its current state. It's not good enough to be labelled a beta release. The Billion firmware, on the other hand, works really well, and even supports IPV6. The Billion also works well with RouterStats.
Message 120 of 257
mbell
Aspirant

I got a 3700 a few days ago as an upgrade to a trusty old 834. Out of the box, the setup wizard detected and tried to use PPPoE, which is not the recommended setting for my ISP. Although I was getting Internet connectivity, the Test option never shows any valid test result - always goes back to the Basic Settings page - which is a bit weird.

Anyway got connectivity, but like many users on this forum, the Internet would drop out and red-light every hour or so. Reboot or Apply Settings required to recover.

BT help were useless. Some call centre in India by the sounds of things. First of all could not understand the problem, then said they did not support third party equipment. Yeah, right, like Netgear are a tiny company or something.

Netgear support told me that my settings were ok and BT needed to do a line check to sort things out.

BT did the line check, which was fine. Told me I needed to get the right settings from Netgear. In the meantime, dropouts galore.

Netgear support went through the same advice as before and, surprise surprise, the red-light disappeared when the settings were re-applied or the router rebooted.

Life is short so I went to the High Street and got a 3300. Installed, detected the correct settings, and no dropouts at all.

From my perspective, it looks like the 3700 firmware is very suspect. The Test function is very unclear about what has been achieved, incorrect settings were detected, and it fails to reconnect automatically in a red-light situation.
Message 121 of 257
keith_thfc
Tutor

Someone on another forum suggested I put my Thomson TG585v7 in bridge mode and connect the Netgear DGND3700 through this to test (as I know the TG585v7 connection with my ISP is rock solid).

Tried it last night and it was still up and running ok this morning.

Does this help confirm that my DGND3700 works ok and that it might just be my ISP's config settings which are to blame? If this remains stable then my thinking is that it *should* work ok when I switch to FTTC in a few weeks time as I will have a separate VDSL modem to connect my router to.

Obviously I would prefer to use FTTC without the separate modem which is why I bought this DGND3700 - but as long as it works then I know the device isn't inherently faulty.

Also - I noticed some big forum discussions on O2/be who have said that this issue has been resolved by switching from a dynamic to a static IP. But I have a static IP so can't test this Smiley Sad and my ISP refuses to let me temporarily switch to a static IP to do this test.
Message 122 of 257
AnthonyA
Aspirant

keith_thfc wrote:
Also - I noticed some big forum discussions on O2/be who have said that this issue has been resolved by switching from a dynamic to a static IP. But I have a static IP so can't test this Smiley Sad and my ISP refuses to let me temporarily switch to a static IP to do this test.

I've tried switching between dynamic and static IPs. Unfortunately it didn't seem to make any difference.

This problem is infuriating. The connection has dropped about 15 times today already -- shortest connection being all of 2 minutes. The router is not fit for purpose.
Message 123 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

AnthonyA wrote:
I've tried switching between dynamic and static IPs. Unfortunately it didn't seem to make any difference.

This problem is infuriating. The connection has dropped about 15 times today already -- shortest connection being all of 2 minutes. The router is not fit for purpose.

It sounds like you have a duff unit.

Check with Netgear Technical & consider swapping it or returning it for a refund.
Message 124 of 257
AnthonyA
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
It sounds like you have a duff unit.

Check with Netgear Technical & consider swapping it or returning it for a refund.

Hi Scubbie,

I'm reluctant to swap it because lots of other people seem to be having the exact same problem under the same set of circumstances. I'm yet to find anyone with this router who has an ADSL1 connection and doesn't suffer the connection issues! I don't want to have to go through the RMA rigmarole only to receive another router with the exact same problems!

Smiley Happy
Message 125 of 257
Top Contributors
Announcements