New Owner - Having Problems

dewi
Tutor

Re: New Owner - Having Problems

I have an ADSL1 connection and I have this issue. In fact, the disconnects only started when I migrated from ADSL2+ to ADSL1.
Message 126 of 257
AnthonyA
Aspirant

dewi wrote:
I have an ADSL1 connection and I have this issue. In fact, the disconnects only started when I migrated from ADSL2+ to ADSL1.

Yes - I can't find anyone on ADSL1 who doesn't have the issue. Smiley Happy
Message 127 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

AnthonyA wrote:
I'm reluctant to swap it because lots of other people seem to be having the exact same problem under the same set of circumstances. I'm yet to find anyone with this router who has an ADSL1 connection and doesn't suffer the connection issues! I don't want to have to go through the RMA rigmarole only to receive another router with the exact same problems!

I understand this and can only provide my experience as some for of reassurance.

I have an ADSL2+ connection and after about a month experienced a red light problem. That unit was reluctantly returned and the replacement has now lasted 3 weeks without any problems.

One of those weeks it was hocked up through another router, connecting via the DGND3700's Ethernet WAN port. Currently it is connected via the ADSL port and it hasn't dropped or crashed.

During this time I have tinkered with my ADSL connection and had the connection speeds altered. I've reset the WiFi a few times as I've added a couple of laptops to the Wireless Card Access List. I have continued to stream content from the external drive connected to the USB port at the rear and with the British summer raising the temperature of my lounge, the router has even managed to cope in quite a warm environment.

Admittedly I haven't put as much traffic through the router this month, compared to last. Last month I put through around 550GB of traffic. This month I have so far only had just over 300GB of traffic.

This leaves me to believe that there may be some individual models that have specific component issues.
Message 128 of 257
dewi
Tutor

Scubbie wrote:
This leaves me to believe that there may be some individual models that have specific component issues.

But you have an ADSL2+ connection, so it's possible that your red light was caused by a different issue. As AnthonyA wrote, no one has posted to say that they have an ADSL1 connection and that they don't have this issue.
Message 129 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

dewi wrote:
But you have an ADSL2+ connection, so it's possible that your red light was caused by a different issue. As AnthonyA wrote, no one has posted to say that they have an ADSL1 connection and that they don't have this issue.

Since you and I are not in a technical position to correctly diagnose the red light issue, I thought it only fair to show that it is not exclusively related to having an ADSL1 connection.

If you choose to ignore this, then you are ignoring the fact that it may have nothing to do with ADSL1.

I have also found in the past that just because no one else comes forward stating that they haven't had an issue in a particular set of circumstances, it does not mean that it is 100% true. Most people do not join forums like this.

Unfortunately Netgear are the only people in a position to fully diagnose this problem and they are not keeping us informed.
Message 130 of 257
keith_thfc
Tutor

Just wanted to add that I asked my ISP to change me from an ADSL1 to an ADSL2+ profile last night.

So far so good, no loss of routing/drop outs yet for over 12 hours.
Message 131 of 257
BitStream
Aspirant

I'm on my second DGND3700 and I'm running the beta firmware "DGND3700-V1.0.0.13_1.0.13_DLNA_DEBUG" and the connections are no more stable than the "out of the box" firmware. This beta firmware is more about fixing the DLNA issues though. I'm continuing to report back to Netgear support on each disconnection but their last reply was on the 8th August and all communications from them have now dried up.
Message 132 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Hi BitStream, It has been slow for me too recently. However I have had contact from Netgear support this week on this issue.
Message 133 of 257
BitStream
Aspirant

Yes it just made me think this problem is bigger than I thought. No quick fix.
Message 134 of 257
Dazeon
Aspirant

BitStream wrote:
Yes it just made me think this problem is bigger than I thought. No quick fix.

It's not looking very good at all really, is it?

I'm hoping we get a DD-WRT or Tomato firmware soon instead.

The wireless and Windows Home Server issues are driving me mad.

Out of curiosity, how are you guys loading the beta firmware?
Do you use the built-in GUI method or something else?

I still haven't managed to load the latest official firmware!
Message 135 of 257
theTechman05
Aspirant

If you can't get v12 installed on your router , can't you always pay a small fortune and have netgear do it if for some reason the beta firmware you have won't allow you to install:eek: ?

The times I've had beta firmware there's always been a way to go "back?" if there was a problem.

Don't most retail device home with non beta installed. I'd think if you had it for testing netgear wants it back.
Message 136 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Dazeon wrote:
Out of curiosity, how are you guys loading the beta firmware?
Do you use the built-in GUI method or something else?

Using IE9 and the router's GUI on a Win 7 Laptop, whilst connected via cable.

Dazeon wrote:
I still haven't managed to load the latest official firmware!

Double check that you have downloaded the whole file. I've reported specific problems with downloading the file from the Netgear website and I don't think that they have been addressed still.

In order to download the whole file from their website I had to use another router. Using the Netgear DGND3700 I could only download 1/4 of the file.
Message 137 of 257
bilbonvidia
Novice

There is BETA firmware??
Message 138 of 257
dewi
Tutor

I've just been asked to download a beta version; it doesn't fix the red light problem, it collects debug data so that Netgear can try and figure out why it's happening.
Message 139 of 257
BitStream
Aspirant

dewi wrote:
I've just been asked to download a beta version; it doesn't fix the red light problem, it collects debug data so that Netgear can try and figure out why it's happening.

What is the version number dewi?
Message 140 of 257
dewi
Tutor

BitStream wrote:
What is the version number dewi?

v1.0.0.13_1.0.13_PPP_Debug
Message 141 of 257
BitStream
Aspirant

dewi wrote:
v1.0.0.13_1.0.13_PPP_Debug

Interesting. My beta firmware is named DGND3700-V1.0.0.13_1.0.13_DLNA_DEBUG and is manly for solving the DNLA issues.
Message 142 of 257
Ryster
Aspirant

So, multiple different beta versions of 1.0.0.13 each with a different fix in it ;-)

They should hurry up, merge the fixes and release a unified 1.0.0.13 beta to a wider audience.
Message 143 of 257
dewi
Tutor

I don't believe the beta version I've installed is a fix; it's a debug build to capture more information to find out what the problem is.
Message 144 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

It sounds like Netgear has sent out this message to several of of today.

I am still waiting for a response to my earlier message this week after being asked for a copy of my router's log, the config file and a copy of Wireshark's results for packet snooping on my LAN.

I personally regard each as a potential major security risk and I wouldn't want to provide anyone with this information freely under any circumstances. At the same time it might be useful to know what information they are looking for.

Later in the latest message they are requesting that you send them images of screen dumps. It would be nice to know in advance how these pictures are to be uploaded.
Message 145 of 257
keith_thfc
Tutor

Scubbie wrote:

I am still waiting for a response to my earlier message this week after being asked for a copy of my router's log, the config file and a copy of Wireshark's results for packet snooping on my LAN.

I personally regard each as a potential major security risk and I wouldn't want to provide anyone with this information freely under any circumstances. At the same time it might be useful to know what information they are looking for.
I was asked to do the same a few days ago and they haven't given me any feedback on this either yet.
Message 146 of 257
PotemkinSunJuan
Aspirant

Netgear support is still going through the basics with me (reinstall firmware, etc.). I'll update this thread when things move on. In the meantime, the issue is recurring several times a day...
Message 147 of 257
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Regarding this post. A few months I was contacted regarding the WNDR4000 and too was asked for similar information. I gave them what they asked for and they in turn set me a fix within several days. It sounds like Netgear has sent out this message to several of of today. I am still waiting for a response to my earlier message this week after being asked for a copy of my router's log, the config file and a copy of Wireshark's results for packet snooping on my LAN. I personally regard each as a potential major security risk and I wouldn't want to provide anyone with this information freely under any circumstances. At the same time it might be useful to know what information they are looking for. Later in the latest message they are requesting that you send them images of screen dumps. It would be nice to know in advance how these pictures are to be uploaded.
Message 148 of 257
Steve_Goodey
Aspirant

Received my second DGND3700 replacement from Netgear tech support yesterday. The first replacement came from Expansys. Still the same problem with ADSL connection dropping. This new one wouldn't hold up for anytime at all. The tech support guy I spoke to didn't seem aware of a firmware problem hence the RMA. Reconnected the BT Homehub3 and connection rock solid.

Steve.
Message 149 of 257
Pana
Aspirant

I had been having similar problems to what most other users have described and have been following this thread for some time. I noticed someone else mention that the router had incorrectly set itself up with PPPoE; turns out mine had as well.

Since changing that setting, it has been up continuously (over 4 days now) whereas before it could drop every five minutes in the worst case. I've been through the different MTU settings and it didn't improve it at all.

I have also just gone back and double checked all the settings and also noticed it was set to LLC, whereas it should be VC. Will be interesting to see if that changes the reliability.
Message 150 of 257
Top Contributors
Announcements