New Owner - Having Problems

graham131
Aspirant

Re: New Owner - Having Problems

@Pana - What isp are you with? this seems to be a possible fix worth trying for me. I am with BT in the UK, the 3700 does auto setup as PPPoE, whereas the settings on my trusty old DG834 are PPPoA. Would you be able to post a shot of your settings? Thanks
Message 151 of 257
Sztraik
Aspirant

I received this router last Thursday. I bought to replace the Vodafone.ie @Home standard Huawei HG556a with something more solid and performing.

This was a big fail and if I could I would send it back to get my money back (retailer doesn't allow it for opened boxes).

When I managed to connect to the ADSL, it does so at 2mbs and with a very unstable connection (it basically doesn't work). The other router connects at 8mbs and says it can go up to 20mbs on the same line.

It has the latest firmware and I tried all I could read here and think of. Furthermore the wi-fi connection is also unstable and every now and again I need to reset it as it will hang completely. I hope it's just faulty and a replacement wil work, but I'm a bit pessimistic...

The lack of a proper bridge mode is a huge fail as well, as I would have at least used it like that if I couldn't fix the ADSL conection.

Anyway, I'll update when I know more.
Message 152 of 257
Dazeon
Aspirant

Sztraik wrote:
I received this router last Thursday. I bought to replace the Vodafone.ie @Home standard Huawei HG556a with something more solid and performing.

This was a big fail and if I could I would send it back to get my money back (retailer doesn't allow it for opened boxes).

When I managed to connect to the ADSL, it does so at 2mbs and with a very unstable connection (it basically doesn't work). The other router connects at 8mbs and says it can go up to 20mbs on the same line.

It has the latest firmware and I tried all I could read here and think of. Furthermore the wi-fi connection is also unstable and every now and again I need to reset it as it will hang completely. I hope it's just faulty and a replacement wil work, but I'm a bit pessimistic...

The lack of a proper bridge mode is a huge fail as well, as I would have at least used it like that if I couldn't fix the ADSL conection.

Anyway, I'll update when I know more.

You're probably correct to be pessimistic I'm afraid.

I've got two DGND3700 routers now and both suffer from the wireless issue that you describe.

Furthermore, whereas I could connect at 4096 kbps with my old router (a BT HGV2700), I'm lucky if I get 3072 kbps with my DGND3700, which drops to around 2500 kbps quite regularly.

I appreciate that there are several factors that could contribute to poor performance, such as line quality and interference. However, I have personally eliminated as many of these factors as I possibly can.

I'm hoping that Netgear will release a miracle firmware fix at some point, but at the moment a new firmware is starting to look like vaporware in my humble opinion.
Message 153 of 257
Pana
Aspirant

@graham131, ISP is Zen Internet. The settings are on more than one menu but are as follows:

Encapsulation: PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
Multiplexing Method: VC-Based
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
DSL Mode: Auto
Transfer Mode: ATM

I'm not sure what DSL type I get but I can't get more than 8Mb from the exchange so I suspect it's plain old ADSL.

Hope that helps, let me know if there's other settings you want to check.
Message 154 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

[QUOTE=Pana;366160I'm not sure what DSL type I get but I can't get more than 8Mb from the exchange so I suspect it's plain old ADSL.[/QUOTE]

If your connection speed (both up & down, but not added together) is divisible by 32 then there is a good chance that you are on ADSL.

Another good indicator is if the upload speed is limited to 448kbps.
Message 155 of 257
PotemkinSunJuan
Aspirant

I have the same issue with Internet port dropping out, and am running the beta firmware. I have sent my logs to Netgear, but so far no response.
I did manually change the encapsulation method and mix settings to PPoA and VC, as the router incorrectly selected PPoE and LLC.

I will be seeking a refund as this product is clearly not ready for market..
Message 156 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Mine red lighted on me yesterday too.

The first indication was that I could no longer sign in to the user interface to check the connection stats.

I had to power it off, play with the reset button and eventually I managed to recover it. :mad:
Message 157 of 257
dewi
Tutor

I've found that disconnecting the ADSL line for 20 seconds, then reinserting, will restore the Internet connection for me without rebooting the router. Netgear technical support asked me to try this to help them diagnose the problem.
Message 158 of 257
BitStream
Aspirant

@dewi that's what I do. I still can't get a reply back on my ticket that's been open since 28th July. They seem to have dried up since the 8th August :-(
Message 159 of 257
Websurfer
Novice

Hi... new owner of a DNGD3700... and I've the issue of "red" led disconnection... Smiley Sad
I've an ADSL1 line that functions perfectly with a linksys wag320n... with dgnd3700 I cannot stay connect more than 30 minutes...
Message 160 of 257
Websurfer
Novice

... now I'm undecided whether to proceed with the withdrawal or wait for new firmware...
Message 161 of 257
Steve_Goodey
Aspirant

Websurfer, welcome to the club.:confused:
Message 162 of 257
Websurfer
Novice

Thanx! Smiley Sad
I hope that netgear can fix this issue... my router is totally unusable, for now (I cannot stay connected with my 8mbit adsl for more than 30 minutes... I'm now using my brother's wag320n)...
A positive note: I must say that its wi-fi performance is much better than wag's one...:rolleyes:
Message 163 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Websurfer wrote:
A positive note: I must say that its wi-fi performance is much better than wag's one...:rolleyes:

This being the case, you could connect the Netgear DGND3700 to your other router via the Ethernet WAN port and use as a Cable router until the next firmware version is released.

Place the Netgear in your other router DMZ zone and turn its WiFi off, leaving just the Netgear to work the WiFi.

The red light issue appears to be related to the ADSL connection so this should work.
Message 164 of 257
Ryster
Aspirant

It's been over three months now since this sub-par product was released. My patience is almost gone, and I'm seriously considering just cutting my losses and buying another router from a different company that actually possesses a customer support department to speak of, and some competent technical staff who know how to support their products.
Message 165 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

I can understand your issue there.

In response to my request to confirm how secure their procedures are with keeping the confidential files that they need to help diagnose the problems, I was advised to upload them to a public site and provide a link for them. :rolleyes:

Seriously someone needs to rethink what the word 'Confidential' means.

I am seriously not impressed.

I do not like the thought of posting my passwords on a public site anywhere. Since the information requested would contain a variety of passwords, then I guess I shan't be sending them any information.
Message 166 of 257
Joe_
Apprentice

I was advised to upload them to a public site and provide a link for them.

No kidding? Are they serious? I would expect Netgear to come better than that.

I can't blame you for not wanting to expose your files to all and sundry.
Message 167 of 257
theTechman05
Aspirant

That's about what Microsoft wanted at one point when my xbox had problems. they had me take pictures of my history and fax them in after admitting they didn't have an email to send them to and this had to be one of the highest tiers in their xbox tech support.
Message 168 of 257
arrosy
Novice

please

can anyone upload a beta firmware for dgnd3700??
Message 169 of 257
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Arrosy,

You need to contact tech Support for beta firmware, assuming that they agree that there is a beta that will help with your issue. We cannot allow beta firmware to be distributed on this forum.
Message 170 of 257
Websurfer
Novice

Websurfer wrote:
Hi... new owner of a DNGD3700... and I've the issue of "red" led disconnection... Smiley Sad
I've an ADSL1 line that functions perfectly with a linksys wag320n... with dgnd3700 I cannot stay connect more than 30 minutes...

Problem "solved"!...
The issue depends from the way the modem handles the DSL connection... My 8mbit line is perfect during the day, but at night it degrades slightly (perhaps because there are too connection in the "central")... the dgnd3700 doesn't handles well an adsl1 line that isn't at its maximum rate... the SNR margin will fluctuate constantly (and the line drops countinuosly!) because the modem doesn't renegotiate the speed with an higher SNR margin...

My solution:
- enable telnet
- change the snr margin to a more tolerant value (I use "adslctl configure --snr 250" obtaining a "rock solid" 5/6mbit line)

Those 2 things were NOT necessary with my previus modem/routerd (d-ling dsl-302T, USR9106, WAG320n) because they renegotiated the line when it became degradeted!

2 suggestion for netgear-guys:
- Give a "free" access to telnet (I have to use enabletelnet to open it)
- Give the possibilities to set the desired SNR margin directly into the firmware!
Message 171 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

One of the specific conditions of accepting a Beta Firmware is to agree not to pass it on to someone else.

Another thing about these beta firmwares is that each version only specifically addresses one issue.
Message 172 of 257
jimmyshoo980
Aspirant

Hi All, Sorry for no feedback for a while.

My modem has been very stable for some time now, I have been dealing with Netgear to resolve the issue with no forseeable positive result as to why this occurs.

They have given me a new firmware version (debug version) which ran for half a day before dropping out again, but no problems since.

Will update with further info once they get back to me with some feedback from my logs. Yes I too had to upload logs using a public file sharing site, not great for security!
Message 173 of 257
theTechman05
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
One of the specific conditions of accepting a Beta Firmware is to agree not to pass it on to someone else.

Another thing about these beta firmwares is that each version only specifically addresses one issue.

Maybe for here but it depends on where. I think dlink went with the terms of "this firmware is made for you and your specific problem" kind of thing to discourage but my readynas beta firmware was "try at your own risk and backup regularly"

I guess all depends where you go for products.
Message 174 of 257
theTechman05
Aspirant

HEH, I just found a year old post with the NDA , still its odd about all the don't go sharing (even through post office).
Message 175 of 257
Top Contributors
Announcements