New Owner - Having Problems

Excalibur1814
Novice

Re: New Owner - Having Problems

Any idea of when Netgear will release a firmware update for this lump of trash?
Message 176 of 257
Pana
Aspirant

Quick update from me to say that since changing settings to PPPoA instead of PPPoE, mine has been solid as a rock for the last two weeks without a single dropout.
Message 177 of 257
PotemkinSunJuan
Aspirant

I had the following from Netgear support today, regarding this issue:
"I would like to inform you that Engineering does not advise to change the SNR Margin. Please have a note that WAN disconnection of the DGND3700 is already a recognized issue and they are now working on it. However, there is no ETA yet for the new firmware."
Message 178 of 257
Steve_Goodey
Aspirant

Thanks for that. Hopefully some good news at last.
Message 179 of 257
Websurfer
Novice

PotemkinSunJuan wrote:
"I would like to inform you that Engineering does not advise to change the SNR Margin. Please have a note that WAN disconnection of the DGND3700 is already a recognized issue and they are now working on it. However, there is no ETA yet for the new firmware."

Great news!
Message 180 of 257
enakn
Aspirant

After a fairly settled period I've had a few red light occurrences this week (all when my computers switched off - just noticed the light come on whilst watching TV!)

So thanks for sharing PotemkinSunJuan, that is promising news!
Message 181 of 257
keith_thfc
Tutor

PotemkinSunJuan wrote:

I hope they hurry up - my fibre broadband activation has been put back a few months so will probably shove this router in the back of a cupboard
until then.
Message 182 of 257
Vittorrio
Aspirant

I'm so happy to find this forum! Knowing that for once it's 'not just me' is a big relief.
I've been talking to customer support and they have told me to request an RMA to send the router back to them. No mention of knowing that there is even a problem with the 3700 and that they are working on a solution. Basically, what I'm saying is, the right arm doesn't know what the left arm is doing. If I send my router in for an issue that is built in to every 3700 out there, surely I'll be getting the same issue back again?!
I've been with Netgear for as long as I remember but I'm starting to lose the plot with them.
Message 183 of 257
Steve_Goodey
Aspirant

Welcome.

Yes you're correct. They also advised me to RMA and the replacement was the same. So I'm out the cost of sending the router back to them. Luckily I had another router to get me over the downtime, which I'm still using now, waiting, hopefully, for a firmware upgrade.

Steve.
Message 184 of 257
Ryster
Aspirant

Everybody with issues, make sure you log the fault officially at the my.netgear.com website so they know the sheer number of people affected by their sub-standard firmware and/or product.

However, there is no ETA yet for the new firmware.

No change there then. There has been no ETA for the past 3 months since these issues have been reported to them. :mad:
Message 185 of 257
Twig123
Aspirant

Just bought one of these.

Router itself seems great but the fact it can't maintain a stable connection makes it useless. I've tried to log the fault on my.netgear.com but the registration process seems faulty as I can't get past the address bit!

If it doesn't remain stable then it'll be getting returned at the end of the week.

I CAN make it stable by using telnet and altering the snr value but this then appears to reset on a reboot. I'm not sure I can wait on some firmware that might fix the issue without a determinate date of when it might arrive!

These are my current stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5248 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 36.5 db 24.0 db
Noise Margin 15.1 db 20.0 db

The noise marging seems fine and then suddenly for no apparent reason it just plummets:

Tue 20 Sep 2011 20:53:13, Noise Margin= 14.8, Sync Speed= 5664
Tue 20 Sep 2011 20:53:18, Noise Margin= 14.6, Sync Speed= 5664
Tue 20 Sep 2011 20:53:23, Noise Margin= 14.6, Sync Speed= 5664
Tue 20 Sep 2011 20:53:28, Noise Margin= 5.3, Sync Speed= 5664
Tue 20 Sep 2011 20:55:53, Noise Margin= 9.0, Sync Speed= 5664
Tue 20 Sep 2011 20:55:58, Noise Margin= 9.5, Sync Speed= 5664
Tue 20 Sep 2011 20:56:08, Noise Margin= 3.4, Sync Speed= 5664
Tue 20 Sep 2011 20:56:13, Noise Margin= 3.4, Sync Speed= 5664
Tue 20 Sep 2011 20:56:18, Noise Margin= 1.4, Sync Speed= 5664
Tue 20 Sep 2011 20:56:33, Noise Margin= -1.1, Sync Speed= 5664
Tue 20 Sep 2011 20:56:43, Noise Margin= -1.1, Sync Speed= 5664
Tue 20 Sep 2011 20:56:48, Noise Margin= 1.1, Sync Speed= 5664

This happened while the conection was in extremely low useage, only one person was actually making use of the connection in any meaningful way.
This is a normal BT line with BT being the ISP as well, we've been using their Homehub for a good two years now without these kinds of issues. We only got rid of the Homehub as it couldnt take the number of wireless clients.

Networking isn't my strong point but have I missed something? If not it'll be going back Smiley Happy
Message 186 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Twig123 wrote:
...The noise marging seems fine and then suddenly for no apparent reason it just plummets:

Networking isn't my strong point but have I missed something? If not it'll be going back Smiley Happy

I would say that the issue is more likely down to your connection. To confirm this, plug your BY HomeHub back in to see what happens. If it plays up, then call BT's Broadband support team.

If things appear to be stable with the BT HomeHub, then you have a few options as I see it:

Message 187 of 257
    Twig123
    Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
    I would say that the issue is more likely down to your connection. ....

Thanks for the reply but just to reiterate "we've been using their Homehub for a good two years now without these kinds of issues.".

The connection albeit not fantastic in terms of speed has worked great UNTIL we bought this Netgear router.

I've managed to register on my.neatgear.com so we'll see what they can do.

I may try option 3. though as a test so thanks for that Smiley Happy
    Message 188 of 257
    ian1964
    Aspirant

Just bought one of these yesterday. Setup easy and quick. Used it for over an hour last night with no problems.

Got home this evening and discovered the dreaded red light. ADSL down requiring reboot. Rebooted and after 5 mins went down again. It will not last longer than 5 mins now without disconnecting. Checked all settings, everything is correct.

Very, very poor, not impressed. Get your act together Netgear, people have been complaining about this for some time. It is a complete showstopper and renders the product not fit for purpose. It's going back to PC World tomorrow and I will think twice before buying Netgear again.
    Message 189 of 257
    foureyes
    Aspirant

Hello Everyone.

I am an owner of an old DG834G modem (given to me by a colleague who went cable). I updated it to the latest firmware and it is rock solid. No glitches, no drop outs, just consistent performance for the past six months (I leave it on 24x7)!

I was looking to upgrade the 834 to something newer with greater functionality, and I was seduced by the 3700. That is, until I read this forum. All the so call expert 3700 reviews I have read praise this product. However, almost every user review I have read talk about the drop outs, the returns and the frustrations.

Even now (Sep 2011), I would have thought the firmware issue is rectified but no, I just see more messages from new owners going through the pain. How is it then, the major retailers still keep this product in stock and continue to sell them to unsuspecting consumers?

I am going to hold back until I see more positive user reviews on the 3700. I am now considering the Billion 7800N (single band only) and the much more expensive FritzBox 3790 (its has had great reviews).

It a shame really. The 3700 is so promising. Meanwhile the 834 is humming along.

Thanx...guys
    Message 190 of 257
    Websurfer
    Novice

Twig123 wrote:
    Just bought one of these.

Router itself seems great but the fact it can't maintain a stable connection makes it useless. I've tried to log the fault on my.netgear.com but the registration process seems faulty as I can't get past the address bit!

If it doesn't remain stable then it'll be getting returned at the end of the week.

I CAN make it stable by using telnet and altering the snr value but this then appears to reset on a reboot. I'm not sure I can wait on some firmware that might fix the issue without a determinate date of when it might arrive!

These are my current stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 5248 kbps 448 kbps
    Line Attenuation 36.5 db 24.0 db
    Noise Margin 15.1 db 20.0 db

The noise marging seems fine and then suddenly for no apparent reason it just plummets:

This happened while the conection was in extremely low useage, only one person was actually making use of the connection in any meaningful way.
    This is a normal BT line with BT being the ISP as well, we've been using their Homehub for a good two years now without these kinds of issues. We only got rid of the Homehub as it couldnt take the number of wireless clients.

Same behaviour here... I solved using telnet to set an HIGHER snr margin too!
    It depends from an "incompatibility" between DGND3700 and some DSLAM (ADSL1 type) as the "Marconi" DSLAM (used frequently in Italy, for example)...
    On a reboot the router clearly lose all the settings and so you have to redo the trick...

My only hope is that Netgear is consciuos of this problem (for a firmware fix!)...
    Message 191 of 257
    ian1964
    Aspirant

I don't think Netgear are conscious at all :mad:

They need to take some decisive action:

Failure to approach in this manner will result in poor reputation which is difficult to recover. Communications seems sorely lacking at the moment. Experience of Toyota is a warning to all manufacturers: head in sand is not an effective customer strategy!
    Message 192 of 257
    morvern
    Aspirant

I agree totally with ian1964 about Netgear's response or lack of it to resolving the problems associated with the DGND3700 router.
    Message 193 of 257
    keith_thfc
    Tutor

After several weeks of hearing nothing I finally got an update from Netgear 2nd level support on why this router does not work on my ISP's ADSL1 profile. The reply said:

"It appears that ADSL2+ seems to be working fine on the DGND3700 in compared to ADSL1. Hopefully this will resolve your issue with your gateway and please update me on any cases you may have for your DGND3700."

Just replied telling them what a complete and utter waste of time they are - a bit like this device really.

I told them it was beyond belief how they could bring out a new top of the range premium device (N900) while this one can't even do the basics like maintain a sync.
    Message 194 of 257
    Scubbie
    Apprentice

I am not surprised that they have brought out a new router.

It doesn't have a built in ADSL Modem, so it won't have the same problems linked to this thread.

I would expect it to have the other problems though. :rolleyes:
    Message 195 of 257
    dewi
    Tutor

keith_thfc wrote:
    After several weeks of hearing nothing I finally got an update from Netgear 2nd level support on why this router does not work on my ISP's ADSL1 profile. The reply said:

"It appears that ADSL2+ seems to be working fine on the DGND3700 in compared to ADSL1. Hopefully this will resolve your issue with your gateway and please update me on any cases you may have for your DGND3700."

So their response to those of us who've found that this supposed top-end modem/router doesn't work with ADSL1 is that we should upgrade to ADSL2+? I was under the impression that they were working on a firmware upgrade. They closed the case I opened with the following response:

"Thank you. I have now completed the informations needed to inquire teh case on our ENgineering who fixes this kind of issues. Please do wait for further advise from me if what is the next action. Rest assured that we will have a fix for your problem. In the meantime, please use the debug firmware and just observe the connection."

That was 3 weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything since. I'll open a new case to enquire what's happening. If they have no plans to upgrade the firmware to support ADSL1, I'll have to try and get a refund from the retailer on the grounds that Netgear have been unable to repair the fault.
    Message 196 of 257
    Joe_
    Apprentice

Scubbie wrote:
    I am not surprised that they have brought out a new router.

I would expect it to have the other problems though.

This is the way all the router manufacturers operate IMHO. If you were to look closely at the user forums for Cisco and Dlink and whoever else, I feel certain that you will find users suffering from all sorts of issues. It's all about competition and who could get the latest out first. Once they have your money in the bank, do you really think your issues are priority for them? Just sit and digest that for a moment. Smiley Wink
    Message 197 of 257
    Scubbie
    Apprentice

It isn't just limited to router manufacturers.

Virtually anything that can be updated via the Internet or over the airwaves will have had some software or firmware update issued at some stage to fix some bugs.

There are even firmware updates for Hard Drives if you look around.

I recall years back when I was receiving updates from IBM for their network software on a daily basis. As soon as I got the new version, within 30 minutes I found a fault.

These were in the days when Floppies were sent through the post, telephone calls were normal & emails a rarity. Bulletin boards like this were virtually non-existent.
    Message 198 of 257
    keith_thfc
    Tutor

Scubbie wrote:

Virtually anything that can be updated via the Internet or over the airwaves will have had some software or firmware update issued at some stage to fix some bugs.
    Fair point although there are bugs which people can live with and there are products that simply aren't fit for purpose like this thing.

For a flagship model you at least expect it will re-connect if it loses sync.

And that Netgear will at least acknowledge the issue and follow up with customers - which they clearly can't be bothered to do judging by the responses that I've had.
    Message 199 of 257
    Scubbie
    Apprentice

I am not happy with my router, but thankfully I haven't experienced as many issues as other members of this forum have.

Having said that, I suspect that someone within Netgear is working hard to debug the firmware and resolve all these issues.

Loosing the sync and reconnecting is not an option IMHO. Personally I believe that it shouldn't loose the sync in the first place.

This evening I need to reboot my router before I go to bed because it has locked me out again. This seems to be the nature of my problems this month.

If I reboot it now, then I can't make use of the DLNA service because the router takes a few hours to rescan the hard drive (Ok there are quite a few that need to be listed, but this is not an excuse). If it wrote a database file on the drive then my life would be a little easier.
    Message 200 of 257
    Top Contributors
    Announcements