New Owner - Having Problems

Joe_
Apprentice

Re: New Owner - Having Problems

I agree with most of what keith_thfc said, but with just a slight twist.

Imagine someone who got this unit and depends on it for important tasks like working from home. They don't have a back-up router to use, nor can they afford to buy another because what they budgeted for that purpose is already tied-up in this unit. Don't you think they have a right to be mighty p....ed-off?
Message 201 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Has anyone else be provided access to the 'debug3' firmware?

V1.0.0.15_1.0.15_PPP_Debug3

Noting that I had specific issues at the beginning of this month I am wondering how stable this version is.

Before everyone clambers for a copy, I should report that I had some issues installing it.

Before installing I made a backup of the router's settings. The only difference this month being that I had added a WiFi adaptor to the Access List.

Once everything was back up and running, I managed to log in, but a restore wouldn't work. I had to use an older version in order to regain my settings.

Then next issue was that I had to manually set the IP Address as it appeared that the DHCP server wasn't working. The DHCP page appeared correct, but I reapplied the settings anyway.

Everything else now appears to be fine.

It is too early for me to comment on how stable this version is, but I would be interested to know how others find it.

As for all the other reported issues, again I need to look into those.
Message 202 of 257
keith_thfc
Tutor

Scubbie wrote:
Has anyone else be provided access to the 'debug3' firmware?

Noting that I had specific issues at the beginning of this month I am wondering how stable this version is.

Scubbie

Coincidentally Netgear sent me a copy of this V1.0.0.15_1.0.15_PPP_Debug3 version earlier today so will give it a go & let you know my thoughts.

Keith
Message 203 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Thank you.

Rather than continue this thread with it, is it worth starting a new thread?

Of course any feedback to tech support is important (good & bad).
Message 204 of 257
keith_thfc
Tutor

Scubbie wrote:
Thank you.

Rather than continue this thread with it, is it worth starting a new thread?

Of course any feedback to tech support is important (good & bad).
Sounds like a good idea to create a new thread for the beta/debug firmware versions!
Message 205 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Message 206 of 257
Videotrader
Aspirant

Just wanted to add that I'm also getting these issues with my DGND3700 on an ADSL1 connection.

I purchased my first unit from eBuyer back in July and noticed straight away that the line was being dropped regularly, on average about 20 times a day. I went through a round of telephone calls to net gear who talked me through all the usual stuff and then asked me to have the unit replaced.

Because I needed an Internet connection whilst the router was out for replacement I picked up a cheap DGN2200 from Argos so that I could carry on and that little router managed a rock solid connection the whole time.

When the replacement 3700 arrived I got it all set up and straight away it did the same thing, constant DSL disconnects.

I'm not sure what to do now, it's probably too late to get a refund but I do feel like the product is not for for purpose.

Paul.
Message 207 of 257
keith_thfc
Tutor

Videotrader wrote:
Just wanted to add that I'm also getting these issues with my DGND3700 on an ADSL1 connection.

I purchased my first unit from eBuyer back in July and noticed straight away that the line was being dropped regularly, on average about 20 times a day. I went through a round of telephone calls to net gear who talked me through all the usual stuff and then asked me to have the unit replaced.

Because I needed an Internet connection whilst the router was out for replacement I picked up a cheap DGN2200 from Argos so that I could carry on and that little router managed a rock solid connection the whole time.

When the replacement 3700 arrived I got it all set up and straight away it did the same thing, constant DSL disconnects.

I'm not sure what to do now, it's probably too late to get a refund but I do feel like the product is not for for purpose.

Paul.
Thanks for that post - glad its not just me with this issue on ADSL1. My DGND3700 is still unusable on ADSL1 even after trying the latest beta/debug firmware.

I'm just wondering - have you contacted Netgear support to confirm that it worked ok for you with the DGN2200?

And can I ask which ISP you are with? I'm with be there (UK) who didn't give a hoot about this issue as they only support their own devices.

Been troubleshooting back and forth with Netgear support over the past few weeks & sending them back logs but its a bit frustrating that I've had to use my old freebie ISP router for the time being - which gives me a significantly faster speed and never loses sync.
Message 208 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Has anyone who has been experiencing the Red Light issue tried the latest firmware release V1.0.0.15_1.0.15_PPP_Debug3?

If so has it help with the issue, left it unchanged or made things worse?
Message 209 of 257
Videotrader
Aspirant

keith_thfc wrote:
I'm just wondering - have you contacted Netgear support to confirm that it worked ok for you with the DGN2200?
And can I ask which ISP you are with?

Yes I told them that my connection was fine with the DGN2200 when my first unit was disconnecting. After getting me to reinstall the firmware etc they asked me to get the unit replaced, which I did.

The new one is just the same, I haven't called them back as yet.
Message 210 of 257
Videotrader
Aspirant

Sorry, I forgot to answer your other question. My ISP is Xilo internet.
Message 211 of 257
keith_thfc
Tutor

Videotrader wrote:
Yes I told them that my connection was fine with the DGN2200 when my first unit was disconnecting. After getting me to reinstall the firmware etc they asked me to get the unit replaced, which I did.

The new one is just the same, I haven't called them back as yet.
Hopefully you will get a chance to update them. Its bad enough that the device doesn't work but even worse when they tell you to get a replacement as you have to waste your own time/effort in arranging this with the retailer.

You only have to read the threads on here to see that its not just one or two defective units - the device/firmware is simply unfit for purpose and on top of paying top dollar we're also doing Netgear's beta testing for them.
Message 212 of 257
TMC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Me too...

One more user here with intermittent ADSL connection problems.

My connection drops fairly consistently every 24 hours. When it drops I'm locked out of the router login page and have to reboot. I have to reboot every morning, but curiously not more than once each day. Additionally I don't get the red WAN light, but seem to get all the same symptoms as the "red LED" problem.

From reading the forum here and user reviews elsewhere it seems that this is a common problem with ADSL (but perhaps nopt ADSL 2) connections. It also seems that the problem is due to a dropped ADSL connection (possibly due to low Noise Margin (mine is around 6 dB) and inability of the 3700 to automatically reconnect. From the number of reports about the router locking up and requiring rebooting, it seems that the dropped connection causes the router to lock up or crash. It seems that everyone who has had this problem reports problem-free connections with other modems-routers or modems.

I've contacted Netgear support who have advised that the problem may be due to the low Noise Margin. They also advised reflashing the firmware and reducing MTU to 1450, which I've done, but I'm not expecting this to make any difference. I've contacted my ISP about the Noise Margin on my ADSL line. They've done and test on the line and report that my ADSL connection is fine. They have (perhaps not surprisingly) recommended using a different router.

It is all somewhat frustrating.
Message 213 of 257
keith_thfc
Tutor

TNC - are you using the latest debug/beta firmware? i.e.

Mine seems more stable on this although I've only been properly using it for a couple of days now.
Message 214 of 257
TMC
Aspirant
Aspirant

keith_thfc wrote:
TNC - are you using the latest debug/beta firmware? i.e.

Mine seems more stable on this although I've only been properly using it for a couple of days now.

No, that firmware version hasn't been offered to me yet, but hopefully they will send me a copy after the next phone call. This must be a firmware problem of some sort.
Message 215 of 257
Websurfer
Novice

I... AM.... T-I-R-E-D! of this annoying red light issue... I CANNOT use telnet EVERY time the modem locks up with that malific red led (5-6 times only today!!!)
Pleeeeeease someone give me the beta firmware!!! Smiley Sad
Message 216 of 257
Scubbie
Apprentice

Have you raised a ticket on-line with Netgear? This is the best way to chase the firmware.
Message 217 of 257
Aspirant

I'm new to this forum but are any of you having the lost connection problem on an ADSL2+ connection or does it only affect ADSL (up to 8Mb)?
Message 218 of 257
theTechman05
Aspirant

Websurfer wrote:
. I CANNOT use telnet EVERY time the modem locks up with that malific red led (5-6 times only today!!!)
(

Is your isp tracking when these lockups are. At least you'd have more debug info. I think the few time I called my isp can see them in the log on thier end or at least when the calls came in. I'd also before restarting while its red call the ISP tech support and see what they see. There's always the chance there's a spike in electricity or something dumb like your getting a phone calls messing with your internet if its old wire.

My isp has mine split with a dsl filter so the lines seperate but maybe they have both filtered and unfiltered talking on the inside (debarc box). The grounding I have I know that happens since my red and green(old wire spec) is on my black and blue line and I still get service to red/green.

Just another thought to ponder.
Message 219 of 257
TMC
Aspirant
Aspirant

32110 wrote:
I'm new to this forum but are any of you having the lost connection problem on an ADSL2+ connection or does it only affect ADSL (up to 8Mb)?

I am actually not entirely sure what sort of connection I have. On the instructions of tech support I changed DSL mode from "auto" to "ADSL2" but the router didn't like it, it lost internet connection and locked up. On changing DSL mode to "ADSL" after rebooting it connected again. Interestingly, when set to "ADSL" it achieves about 7.5 Mb/s connection but when set to auto it achieves about 10 Mb/s (but it obviously doesn't like being set to "ADSL2".
Message 220 of 257
Sztraik
Aspirant

I gave up on trying to make it work on the ADSL and I used as AP connected to my old router.
Issues I saw so far are that it doen't play nice with some wifi cards (Atheros, I upgraded my PCs to Intel 6200 so all fine now) and that despite changing settings on file scanning, the connected hard drive keeps on spinning forever.

Otherwise all very solid. It just sucks that I need two routers and that I can't leave the drives connected. Hopefully it'll get better with new firmwares, whenever these come.
Message 221 of 257
kestrelguy
Aspirant

Possibly a little late - I had the same problem with a brand new DGND3700 today. It would connect for a few seconds and then drop. It looked to me like it was trying to negotiate up - would connect , then lose DNS and IP but the ADSL connection would stay on. - just get a red status light.
All sorts of settings tried - then it dawned on me that Telcom (otherwise known as Hellcom) connect me to the digital 21st century with ancient Marconi DSLAMS from Italy.

Changed the ADSL setting from Auto (Progressively from ADSL2, ADSL+) to just ADSL and there it is - a 100% stable router...
Message 222 of 257
sputnicstory
Aspirant

kestrelguy,
I had to get on here and tell you and the others, that I did as you talked about, moving it from "auto" to just ADSL. Mine has been rock-solid for 4 days now, after dropping the connection atleast once a day for the first week I owned the DGND3700! I am crossing my fingers till it gets tested in a thunder storm.....

P.S. my DGND2000 held the connection for a year on the same line!!!

Thanks!
Message 223 of 257
CLive11
Aspirant

Hi all

just to add to the mix

I know have a DGND37000 and have had problems from day one with it.

The Wizard doesn’t work, the CD is no longer supplied, it wont auto sync to ADSL 2+ or ADSL2 or Auto and when it drops it connection which is does from time to time it has to be reset to allow an internet connection. It also forgets it has an external USB Harddisk which needs to be unplugged and reconnected befor it even sees it.

I did find an errata in the box but it wasn’t much help either, with the wrong settings for my ISP, who have been helping me get it to stay in sync, I just wish I could get the ADSL2+ that my ISP say I have to work. They have had the line tested and advised I need to do a firmware upgrade perhaps. The router reports there isn’t an update available

So I use ADSL as a connection (ie not Auto, ADSL2 or ADSL2+)
It tends to reset around tea time. (im in the UK) although I must admit I havnt rebooted it for a couple of days so perhaps my ISP raising a call with BT and them "fixing" a fault on the line may have helped?

I have it plugged into the Master Socket and have filters on ALL the other sockets, I even removed some extentions that are no longer used.

I bought the 3700 as a replacement for my DG834N that poped its Wifi, I wish I never got rid of my DG834GT, the others have been a natural replacement. I have had the lid off my 834N to find the dreaded swollen Caps that I have managed to replace (not very well but it works!) and was thinking of using it and the 3700 WAN port untill I read that this dosnt fix the problem?

So I will sit and wait, I have a few weeks left on my 90 days and as Im on leave this week will see how it goes if it fails then I have the Tech Support Number ...

CLive
Message 224 of 257
Steve_Goodey
Aspirant

Setting mine to ADSL has not improved it one jot. This thread was started back in May, does it really time this amount of time to sort the firmware on this?
Message 225 of 257
Top Contributors
Announcements