× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New R6050 drops all DNS forwarding several times a day.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

New R6050 drops all DNS forwarding several times a day.

Well it seems Netgear hasn't fixed this problem YET! I've read a lot of people that have had the exact problem on other models for years. I don't think it matters, but I have Comcast like a number of others.

I downloaded the latest firmware and it didn't help.  Internet stays connected and works fine if you use ip's, but DNS response just stops. I'm keeping a connection status box open with the router and just clicking on the 'Renew' button wakes it back up and all is fine till later in the day. Like everyone else, I've tried changing DNS servers. didn't matter. After spending 2 days getting my network back online after my last router failed, I don't really want to send this back and get another brand.

My old router never had any issues keeping a good connection for months at a time.

Could someone write a small routine that tells the router to renew its lease every few hours? Since there is always at least one computer online, that would be a viable solution if it is possible...... But not something I could do.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: New R6050 drops all DNS forwarding several times a day.

After working with Netgear trying to get my modem to behave, it continued dropping DNS responses once or twice a day until I renewed the lease. 3 weeks of that was enough. I packed it up and returned it to the vendor. I fixed my old router and it has been working like a champ like it always has.

Problem not solved, but eliminated as far as I'm concerned.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @piperpilot,

1. Did you perform a factory reset after updating the router's firmware?

2. What is the current firmware version of the router?

3. Have you tried bypassing the router to check if the connection from the modem is stable?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@DexterJB wrote:

1. Did you perform a factory reset after updating the router's firmware?

Yes

2. What is the current firmware version of the router?

V1.0.1.2_1.0.1

3. Have you tried bypassing the router to check if the connection from the modem is stable?

Yes and several other older routers  work happily, but are just too slow. The one that burned out worked for months without having to be reset.

OK, this is the second time I tried to send this. Waited a few days after sending it the first time and it never showed up.

Message 3 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ piperpilot,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

After working with Netgear trying to get my modem to behave, it continued dropping DNS responses once or twice a day until I renewed the lease. 3 weeks of that was enough. I packed it up and returned it to the vendor. I fixed my old router and it has been working like a champ like it always has.

Problem not solved, but eliminated as far as I'm concerned.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7