Re: New R6400 Unable Get DHCP from CM after turning on QoS

tojo4158
Initiate

New R6400 Unable Get DHCP from CM after turning on QoS

Purchased a brand new R6400 router yesterday.  Plugged it in and went through initial setup, successfully connecting to the Internet.  During the initial setup, it downloaded and installed new firmware version 1.0.1.18.  All seemed to be working correctly and I proceeded to setup my Wifi security settings, etc.  I then proceeded to the rest of the settings pages to see what else I might want to enable.  I attempted to enable Downstream QoS and ran into unrecoverable problems.

Once I turned on Downstream QoS, my Internet connection was dropped and I have been unable to get it back.  It appears that the router is no longer getting a DHCP address from the cable modem.  Internet connection and modem seem to be working fine.  I can plug my PC directly into the modem, get a DHCP address, and use the Internet.  However, I can't get the router to get an address now. 

Have tried multiple reboots of everything in the system, multiple factory resets of the router, and have even flashed in older firmware.  Nothing has been successful.  I went through the debug screen and turned on Telnet capabiltties.  From the Busybox shell, I was able to run udhcpc and it appeared that it received a response with a valid IP address. However, it printed an error about default.script being missing and it further seemed to do nothing with that IP address (ie. didn't configure any of the interfaces to actually use it).

I saw another thread in this forum with a similar issue.  Didn't see a resolution.  Is this a known problem?  Can it be recovered?  Do I need to return for a new router?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Bump, in order to follow this conversation/solutions.

Message 2 of 14
William10a
Master

What modem are you using?

Have you to restup the router?

Have you reset your modem  and then the router?

My cable modem and router like have a war and not allow the internet to work. My solution is unplug both sit 2 minutes plug the modem back in and wait for it become happy and teh plug the router in and after it is happy I have the internet again.

I go through this every time the lights flash from strom or power problem the price you pay to live in Florida.

Message 3 of 14

Thanks for replying William... unfortunately, this is a rather advanced error that a simple restart doesn't fix.

The newest firmware patch causes an unresponsive admin dashboard when downstream QoS is enabled in the advanced area. Restarting the router is actually what causes the router to lose its IP address from the modem.

I've spoken to tech support and forwarded config files, etc, which they're reviewing with engineering. Hopefully there will be a patch soon.

Message 4 of 14
Drooper
Tutor

Hello!

I have EXACLTY the same problem as Tojo4158. I also checked the downstream QoS yesterday, and I lost all internet connection. Trying with HW reset, changed to old FW, back to most recent FW. Nothing worked..

Should one wait for a patch and "live" with no internet? Buy a new router and return it when the / a patch arrives?
Message 5 of 14

It's a hard question to answer. If it's a brand new router, you could consider returning it for an alternate router, and do everything to set it up EXCEPT enabling Downstream QoS.

If you have an old router sitting around, you can set the old router up as the DHCP Router, turn OFF the WiFi on the old router, and then set the R6400 to be a Wireless Access Point only for now, plugging the WAN port on the R6400 into an available ethernet port on the old router (that's what I did).

If this is your only router, and it's outside the return dates, then I'm not sure what to tell you... there currently is no way to enable the WAN once this particular error occurs.

I do know that engineering is aware of the issue, and are working on it, but no timeline was given to me for a patch.

Message 6 of 14
Jotten2008
Aspirant

I hit the button too. Spent many frustrated hours, and this is the only post to prove what I belI've from the start. Any fix to device yet?
Message 7 of 14

No fix yet. Will post as soon as I hear something.

Message 8 of 14
Cpfms
Apprentice

Bump to stay in the loop too. This is ridiculous. I only turned on the QoS stuff because 5ghz wifi was only connecting to my devices with a 54mbps link and limiting them to 30mbps down after the .18 firmware upgrade. Prior to that my devices were able to SpeedTest at my full 60mbps speeds that my LAN devices get.
Message 9 of 14
Prezsley
Guide

I an having this issue as well, Everytime router reboots it will not gain an ip from modem. The only thing that works to get an ip is turn router off, hard reset my modem with pin (in the back) as modem is booting up turn on my router and it will gain it back. Im also experiencing internet disconnects almost every 30 mins. To an hour when gaming or streaming netflix. Odd thing is i notice in the logs it only says internet connected and synce server time. No log of the disconnect. Hopefully a fix soon.
Message 10 of 14
Cpfms
Apprentice

Just spoke with Alex from Level 2 support and he basically said if this affected you then your hardware is defective and needs to be replaced. However, unless you are still inside your 90 day warranty period they will not be replacing the defective units and you will need to go out and buy a new one yourself. Well my next router d@mn sure won't be a Netgear, I'll tell you that. Not to mention we had to play phone and email tag for weeks just for him to tell me they aren't going to do jack to make this right. 

Thanks for nothing. 

Message 11 of 14
William10a
Master

One question what version of the r6400 is covered in this posting I know the wndr 3400 have 4 revisions may be there is just one vision not sure?

Message 12 of 14
Cpfms
Apprentice

Mine doesn't have a rev #.
Message 13 of 14
William10a
Master

If you cleared the nvram in the router and reflash the firmware on the router wouldn't that clear some of the problem the qos would be off and the router at factory settings just a question ?

The range of problems sounds a like software and hardware problem cause by the software controlling the chips. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements