× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New R6400 router connects to unknown secured network

Jammo
Tutor

New R6400 router connects to unknown secured network

Since installing a new Netgear R6400 router,  my wife's MacBook Pro connects to some other network instead of our own.  Our wifi signal is very strong throughout our house, but for some reason, my wife's computer connects to some other newtwork which has a very week signal.  She consequently keeps loosing her internet connection.  She can manualy switch to our home network, but her computer switches her back to the weak signal.  The really odd thing is that this other network is password protected, but her computer still logs onto it.  Also, none of our other devices (phones, ipad, imac) do this.  In fact, they can't even find the network that her computter keeps logging into.

Thanks for any help.  

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: New R6400 router connects to unknown secured network

On your MacBook Pro, click on the Wi-Fi icon, then Open Network Preferences.  Make sure Wi-Fi is highlighted on the left, then click on the Advanced button.  You should see a list of Preferred Networks.  Select the rogue network, then click the minus(-) button to remove it.  This should stop the computer from automatically joining the network.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

On your MacBook Pro, click on the Wi-Fi icon, then Open Network Preferences.  Make sure Wi-Fi is highlighted on the left, then click on the Advanced button.  You should see a list of Preferred Networks.  Select the rogue network, then click the minus(-) button to remove it.  This should stop the computer from automatically joining the network.

Message 2 of 3
Jammo
Tutor

Thank you for your reply.  I also found your solution on another post here and applied it last night.  It seems to have solved the problem.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7