New Trial Firmware fixes 2.4 GHz disconnect issue.

somsubhro
Aspirant

New Trial Firmware fixes 2.4 GHz disconnect issue.

Dear Forum Members,

In the last 2 months, we encountered an issue on unresponsive 2.4 GHz WiFi network on the WNDR3800 after a period of inactivity.

The typical characteristics were -
5 GHz remains connected, wired worked ok, 2.4 GHz at 54 Mbps worked ok, but if set in 802.11n mode (130 and 300 Mbps mode), the WiFi network disappeared after a period of inactivity (sometimes overnight, or when you were away) and you had to reboot the router to get it back on....

For customers facing the above issue frequently, please do download a Beta firmware. We will be releasing the official release shortly.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/WNDR3800-V1.0.0.25-Beta.img

Thanks to many of you who have actively worked with our engineering team to fix the issues quickly. We thank you for your cooperation and we will actively continue to monitor and reach out to you all on this forum.

Regards

-Som
Message 1 of 63
JGR
Novice
Novice

Re: New Trial Firmware fixes 2.4 GHz disconnect issue.

The usual story, the latest (1.0.0.25) firmware runs well for a day or so but eventually the problems return and I have to restrict the speed on the 2.4GHz network to 54Mb/s. This is becoming pretty tedious and I'm starting to think that the wireless chipset itself has an issue. So what's the story here Netgear? How much more futzing around with the firmware are you going to do before admitting that youi don't have a clue how to debug this?
Message 2 of 63
crmevans
Aspirant

Same issue here... problem fixed for a few hours, then disconnects again... My experience with his router has been far far worse than my old routers... Bought this router 09/26/11, first DNS disconnects, IPv6 not working, then 2.4ghz disconnects. Did anyone even test this product before selling it ? Really starting to think selling this and go back to Cisco/Linksys...
Message 3 of 63
StratmanX
Tutor

crmevans wrote:
Really starting to think selling this and go back to Cisco/Linksys...

The router is under warranty. Maybe you got a lemon. My 3800 has none of the issues you describe. Why not try to resolve the issues with Netgear?
Message 4 of 63
bjhelton
Aspirant

Anyone that is still having problems needs to open a case with netgear so the engineers can work directly with you as they did with several of us. I ran 2 sets of debug firmware for weeks for them and provided lots of data back.

You need to work with them so they can understand your network setup, devices attached, Network adapters, driver versions and what is happening when you lose connections.

I have been running the new version of the beta firmware before they released it publicly and have not had any devices lose connection on the 2.4 GHZ connections at 300 MB speed.

Now I do have to turn my wireless control on my computer back on after waking it up but have not had to reboot router or reset settings.
Message 5 of 63
MikeIL
Aspirant

I've opened a case & am waiting to hear back.
Message 6 of 63
kramerjm
Aspirant

FYI -

i have a Pioneer VSX-1021 that is an airplay compatible audio visual receiver. It is connected to the router via wired ethernet. I am connecting to it using my Ipad2 which is on the same network wireless. Since installing the new firmware I am having trouble reliably connecting via airplay. Prior to the upgrade it worked well. I am having no problem with DNLA or other wireless. Airplay seems to be the thing that is not working reliably. Rebooting helps and but stops after an hour.

Mike
Message 7 of 63
kramerjm
Aspirant

I rolled back to the V1.0.0.24 firmware. Airplay is now working again. This seems to be confirmative test that the .25 beta is causing problems with Apple Airplay.
Message 8 of 63
Joe_
Apprentice

@kramerjm,

I hope this means you opened a case with Netgear and lodged an official complaint too. If you didn't, don't expect things to get fixed on its own. I wouldn't expect this forum to be a place to lodge official complaints since nothing in that regard has ever been stated.
Message 9 of 63
kramerjm
Aspirant

How do I submit a formal complaint?
Message 10 of 63
StratmanX
Tutor

kramerjm wrote:
How do I submit a formal complaint?

my.netgear.com

You don't have to register if you don't care to.
Message 11 of 63
tCMears148
Aspirant

StratmanX wrote:
my.netgear.com

You don't have to register if you don't care to.

I am actually having the same issues with AirPlay not working an hour after resetting the router. This has only been since updating to the .25 beta firmware and I was not having this issue on .24. I tried submitting a formal complaint but there is no button to submit after filling out the forms. Hopefully someone on here will have some more insight on this issue....:confused:
Message 12 of 63
miata
Aspirant

Any update on the formal (non beta) firmware ?
Message 13 of 63
Joe_
Apprentice

miata wrote:
Any update on the formal (non beta) firmware ?

If there is any it should be on the download site at support.netgear.com.
Message 14 of 63
FrostySonic
Aspirant

here's some weird wireless behaviour on the latest beta firmware.

I have a WDTV Live Streaming Media Player (the one with built-in wireless), which I mainly use to stream HD H264 mkv files and SD Xvid and Divx avi files from my NAS wirelessly to the TV.

On the beta firmware (1.0.0.25(Beta)), streaming the SD avi files over ther 2.4GHz wireless it jutters and pauses all over the place, but the HD mkv files (which are significantly bigger in size) play fine.

If I downgrade the firmware back to 1.0.0.24 both sets of files play fine.

Although, I haven't used 1.0.0.24 long enough to see if I will experience the disconnect issues yet... Smiley Sad
Message 15 of 63
AntiTerror
Aspirant

It seems Netgear has no confidence with beta firmware 1.0.0.25, it was released in early Nov 11 .... and 1.5 months later, still BETA ? what's happening Smiley Sad
Message 16 of 63
pznts0
Aspirant

I bought the 3800 a week ago, and am having this same problem. I opened a case with Netgear, but then read this thread so I went ahead and downloaded the beta. Will report back on experience with it. I don't use the Apple products mentioned above. I too wonder why they have not released the fix officially, instead of still being in beta form 6 weeks later.
Message 17 of 63
dinotheo
Aspirant

I've upgraded to 1.0.0.25 beta, and 40 hours after doing so, 2.4Ghz stopped working. 5Ghz was fine. Rebooted and everything was fine. It happened again 2 days later. If 2.4Ghz stops working once more, I am boxing it up and returning it.
More power to the folks that are helping Netgear diagnose this problem. Sorry, I don't have the time to do this. In addition, when I buy a device I expect it to work. I don't expect to be a quality control test engineer. These issues seem prevalent enough that these problems should have been picked up in Quality Control and this product should have never been released.
I am disappointed because I have had a WPN824 for years that has been rock solid. (one issue a few years ago that I tracked down to a rouge PC)
Message 18 of 63
N_Da_Game
Novice

My very 1st Netgear product and I regret buying it. Too late for me to return and too many people having issues with this router. Not sure the 4500 is doing much better. Whatever happened to Beta testing a product before you start selling to the masses.
Message 19 of 63
kramerjm
Aspirant

I have a few house guests. Up to 10-15 clients connecting from a mixed source of android, apple, and win 7 machines. The guest network and primary network keeps dropping connections and will not reconnect. Rebooting makes it better for a short period, but getting really frustrated. I am on the .24 firmware. Has anyone found a solution or setting? I just dropped the connection speed down to 54mbs from 300. Well see.
Message 20 of 63
kramerjm
Aspirant

Cutting back to 54mbs did the trick. No problems last 2 days.
Message 21 of 63
crmevans
Aspirant

StratmanX wrote:
The router is under warranty. Maybe you got a lemon. My 3800 has none of the issues you describe. Why not try to resolve the issues with Netgear?

Product purchased : September 23
Case opened for my IPv6 issue : September 26

January 3rd : Problem still unsolved... I've been in contact with 4 different Netgear techs, all very nice, but the technical support behind them is just awful. They contact me every 2 weeks to tell me "The Level 3 engineer asks you to try some steps to solve your problem". And every 2 weeks, i'm stuck on the phone with a Level2 tech for 30 minutes, sometimes an hour, to change the same IPv6 adresses, invert a few numbers, try the same steps that have been tested before, and send the same screenshots to the Level 3 engineer, who seems to carefully avoid direct contact with its customers. It seems easier to loose time with a Level 2 in the middle.

But what seems more serious to me, is when i'm told "I'm sorry, to be honest with you, I call you from southeast asia, and we have no provider that offers IPv6 so we can't test here". Seriously guys ? You're a leader in networking products and you don't even have a lab to test the IPv6 functionnality of your products ?

Now, it's been more than 3 months with the same unsolved issue, and no beta/dev firmware to try to solve the problem. I NEED the IPv6 functionnality for the end of the month...
I've bought my router 183 Canadian Dollars, and I'm starting to think I lost my money for a product that works worse than my previous 6 year old Linksys router which I deeply regret selling (and which supported IPv6 in its latest firmware...).

Is there any way I can send the router back to Netgear for refund ? Of course, the store won't accept a return, but Netgear directly, maybe ?
Message 22 of 63
Aspirant

crmevans wrote:

Is there any way I can send the router back to Netgear for refund ? Of course, the store won't accept a return, but Netgear directly, maybe ?

Check your consumer rights and see if there is someone dealing with such cases in your area (consumer protection organisations).
Why won't the store accept a return? Where I live, if a product does not have an advertised feature, this potentially invalidates the sale (and can invalidate it even after the warranty runs out or you never had a warranty). They have to fix it, replace it or give you your money back. Check your options. Stores don't like dealing with consumer protection organisations, they very much prefer to deal with their Netgear distributor.
Message 23 of 63
pznts0
Aspirant

I am continuing to have the disconnect issue after several weeks of working with Netgear support. The most recent fix that did not work was 1.0.0.25WI-FI firmware. It worked OK for a couple of days, then then disconnect happened again this morning. I refuse to back the speed off to 54 MBPS because I paid a premium for the router, and it was top rated by CNet. I am starting to initiate the return process and probably buy a Linksys. My previous router was a Linksys, and it was solid. I replaced it only to get dual band and longer range.

My conclusion until proven wrong is this is a defective design and fatally flawed. I plan on telling CNet the same thing.
Message 24 of 63
gday123
Aspirant

Hi All,
Anyone with HP Touchpad that is having download issue with WNDR3800 latest beta firmware? Thanks.
Message 25 of 63
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements