New Trial Firmware fixes 2.4 GHz disconnect issue.

hansknec
Novice

Re: New Trial Firmware fixes 2.4 GHz disconnect issue.

I am also seeing these dropouts. I thought it might be inproper location of my unit next to my monitor, but my old Verizon wireless router never had these issues. Last night it was in problem mode and I happen to have my new Samsung Galaxy Nexus and the Wifi Analyzer application. I started strip charting the signal an I could see the 2.4 GHz sitting at -40dBm and varying by about 5dBm, then every 2-3 minutes it would drop to over -100dBm for a couple seconds. This is obviously when something internal to the router is shutting down the transmission power. I hope this can be a clue to someone at tech support as to the potential source of the problem.
Message 26 of 63
malhotra81
Novice

I've been having the same problems for quite sometime now. 2.4 connection either drops or becomes unresponsive! The behavior is different with each firmware:
0.18 version - 2.4 just hangs (no drops), 5.8 stays up. If I do a release/renew on my client I can no longer join the 2.4 connection. Need to reboot the router to get it back

0.24/.25 beta - 2.4 drops and cannot reconnect until router is rebooted

WNDR3800-V1.0.0.25-WIFI2.img is a new firmware they asked me upgrade to. Just upgraded to it yesterday and will monitor the connection.

But having paid close to $150 on a premium router, it should work flawlessly. Moreover, I called their support and was told that I need to pay $99 to get phone support and to continue receiving firmware upgrades?!?!?!?
Message 27 of 63
KevTech
Tutor

You can download any firmware version for the 3800 from the link below:

http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/18163
Message 28 of 63
StratmanX
Tutor

KevTech wrote:

The link does not describe what 1.0.0.25(Beta) is for. Anyone have a list of supposed fixes?
Message 29 of 63
NightOwl326
Luminary

KevTech wrote:

.25 beta has been available forever....
Message 30 of 63
rhonin
Novice

Wish I had seen this before purchasing. I've got the exact same issue on .24 with the 2.4GHz dropping connections. Haven't tried the .25(Beta) but it sounds like it doesn't really help.
Message 31 of 63
tono
Novice

I got the WRND3800 a couple days ago and never had any problem so far, but I saw tons of complains about 2.4G wifi drop connection issue at Amazon.com, NewEgg.com and this forum.
I got this router because Frys person strongly recommended it, but now I'm kind of scared to keep using the router and I am thinking of returning it to get something else.

Here is my setting and I'd like to know if anyone has the 2.4G wifi drop issue with this setting:
- 2.4G => Channel:Auto, Mode:Up to 130Mbps
- 5G => Channel:44, Mode:Up to 300Mbps
Others are default. I'm okay with 130Mbps for 2.4G because this is for my family and 5G is for myself.

As long as 2.4G's mode is 130Mbps, I don't have to worry about the issue ?

Best regards,
TONO
Message 32 of 63
StratmanX
Tutor

Tono:

The only thing that is important at this point for you is whether the 3800 works for you at whatever setting you decide to use. Using Mode 300 Mbps on the 2,4 GHz band may result in worse throughputs than using Mode 130 Mbps, due to neighbor's wireless signal interference. This would not necessarily be a fault of the router, though.

So use your 3800 and see what happens. My 3800 has performed flawlessly from day one onwards. Mine was setup like yours.
Message 33 of 63
Mekra
Novice

I am having the same issue with the 2.4 GHz dropping even with the .25 beta firmware. It lasted several days on the .16 firmware before the 2.4 GHz dropped out. Since I updated to .25 the transfer speed to my harddrive seemed to slow down as well.
Message 34 of 63
NedFlanders
Aspirant

Has anyone had recent contact with Netgear and have any updates? It has been quite a while since the beta came out and still no sign of a new beta or no beta firmware.

I have only had a few problems since uploading the beta 25, but I would like to get past the problems completely once and for all.

Ned
Message 35 of 63
MikeIL
Aspirant

NedFlanders wrote:
Has anyone had recent contact with Netgear and have any updates? It has been quite a while since the beta came out and still no sign of a new beta or no beta firmware.

I've been working with them on some ongoing issues and they said they hoped to get a new build to me to test later this week.
Message 36 of 63
dmowbray
Aspirant

I just purchased a 3800 three weeks ago and have found the same issue with the 2.4gig dropping.

Interestingly, my Android phone seems to be able to make the router 2.4gig start up again (most times). That is if the 2.4 has gone dead, I just turn on my Nexus S and within a minute the 2.4 is back up and running again on everything.

I have a Roku Soundbridge on the network which is limited to 11 megs (Wireless b). I have a couple of laptops and a printer with Wireless g and then one Wireless n but restricted to 2.4gig. The other devices (Playbook, Laptop, and a Bridge) are all connected to the 5 gig.

I upgraded to v.24 firmware when first set up the unit. I will try the beta .25 and report back as well.

Cheers
David
Message 37 of 63
dmowbray
Aspirant

So I installed the .25 beta and it has been running without a break for 19 hours with no dropping of the 2.4 ghz signal at all.

BTW Among the other things I tried or thought about when I first observed the problem:

1: I had the automatic channel selection on and it was changing channels quite often. I turned it off and fixed on Channel 2 but the problem was not solved.

2: We have a wireless telephone and sometimes it seemed the dropping of the 2.4 coincide with use of the phone or having a handset close to one of the computers on the network. But again this was not consistent and the 2.4 dropped many times when the phone was not in use and there were no calls.

Anyway, so far so good.

Cheers
David
Message 38 of 63

I have a WNDR3400 that is almost unusable on 2.4 GHz due to disconnection issues. I have a brand new shrink-wrapped WNDR3800 Premium from Costco sitting next to me but am quite afraid I would be making a huge mistake to think a different model will fix this problem. But I guess I'll try it. By the way, there are freeware/shareware products from CNET download that you can get that will show you what other WiFi routers are being received by your WiFi adapter. For me it shows two neighbor routers, and I manually set the channel away from these two routers. Still have the same problems. My laptop has a fan that comes on every time it gets dropped by the WNDR3400. In the evenings, the fan cycles every 20 / 30 seconds, meaning that the laptop is continuously is getting dropped, then reconnecting, then getting dropped. Over and over and over and over. I have updated to the latest firmware for that router but it does not help. 5 GHz is better but my iPad 1 still drops and reconnects and drops and reconnects on 5 GHz as well. I am very bummed out. So I hope this post helps someone else (get some freeware software from CNET download and take a look at what other routers are in your area, or, just use the software that comes with the WNDA3100 (if you have it) and it will show you your neighborhood WiFi signals (Click on the Networks tab, then the Scan button).
Jeff
Message 39 of 63
StratmanX
Tutor

adamswndr3800 wrote:
I have a WNDR3400 that is almost unusable on 2.4 GHz due to disconnection issues. I have a brand new shrink-wrapped WNDR3800 Premium from Costco sitting next to me but am quite afraid I would be making a huge mistake to think a different model will fix this problem. But I guess I'll try it. By the way, there are freeware/shareware products from CNET download that you can get that will show you what other WiFi routers are being received by your WiFi adapter. For me it shows two neighbor routers, and I manually set the channel away from these two routers. Still have the same problems. My laptop has a fan that comes on every time it gets dropped by the WNDR3400. In the evenings, the fan cycles every 20 / 30 seconds, meaning that the laptop is continuously is getting dropped, then reconnecting, then getting dropped. Over and over and over and over. I have updated to the latest firmware for that router but it does not help. 5 GHz is better but my iPad 1 still drops and reconnects and drops and reconnects on 5 GHz as well. I am very bummed out. So I hope this post helps someone else (get some freeware software from CNET download and take a look at what other routers are in your area, or, just use the software that comes with the WNDA3100 (if you have it) and it will show you your neighborhood WiFi signals (Click on the Networks tab, then the Scan button).
Jeff

You make some good points. A popular utility to check for broadcasted SSID's is inSSIDer. Using these utilities to determine channel use in your neighborhood is useful but you won't see non-broadcasted signals, usage of that channel by your neighbors (very important considering a channel with one signal but is used heavily compared to a channel occupied by several routers but with low use overall), or electrical devices whose signals are disruptive of your bandwidth. Unfortunately you will need to pay money for an analyser of signals that interfere with wireless but are "hidden" from these freeware sniffers. For some, the hidden signals from electrical devices may be the root of their problems.

I don't understand why you would be afraid of trying out your new 3800. Costco has a generous return policy. Regardless, you won't know if a router will work for you until you try it. It doesn't matter what reviews you read, the proof is in the pudding and the pudding is testing it out in your specific environment.
Message 40 of 63
jcat00uk
Aspirant

.25 killed my phones ability to aquire an ip address from the router, going back to .24 fixed that, now for the connection dropping issue, any word from netgear?
Message 41 of 63
D_a_n_B
Novice

I purchased this router on Thursday & the 2.4 GHz wireless dropped out on me today (Sunday). I see it has been some time since the beta came out & it doesn't work for everyone, either. Is it advised to try it, or wait for an update?

Speaking of updates, is there any news on a new firmware? Smiley Happy It's been quite a while since this beta was released.
Message 42 of 63
pagtec
Novice

I purchased my router a month ago and have encountered daily wireless disconnection issues for the past few weeks. I have to reboot the router at least once a day. Now it's not reading my external HD. Based off my research, this appears to have been a known issue, why wouldn't it have been addressed as a firmware fix since this last posting? Is there a newer fix for this issue?
Message 43 of 63
Mazey
Novice

has netgear forgotten about us i purchased a 300mb router not a 54mb one.. this should be top priority its a premium router we paid good money for.
Message 44 of 63
springtide9
Novice

FYI
Still having issues with the WiFi. Need to reboot the router to recover, usually once a day. Far from ideal for a premium router.

Hopefully a fix is in the pipeline???
Message 45 of 63
horvathcom
Novice

I have V1.0.0.25-Beta and I still see issues with the 2.4Ghz while the 5Ghz is solid. There is only one or two devices on the 5Ghz, and usually up to 9 or 10 2.4Ghz devices (iPods, phones, etc.)

If it is an interference problem, I thought the clear channel stuff was supposed to solve that. Do some devices have problems with that?
Message 46 of 63
erikgyepes
Aspirant

Be careful with this .25-Beta - after I updated to it my HP Photosmart Premium 309g printer stopped working! (it cannot be found by my OS X Lion). After downgrading back to .24 everything works again.
Message 47 of 63
dmowbray
Aspirant

I installed the patch on 23 Jan and the router ran flawlessly for 21days (as opposed to less than 24 hours with the .24 software). But I did have to reboot the router on 13 Feb -- not for the loss of the 2.4 gig band but for some other reason... lost all connectivity on both bands.

I typically have 8 devices on the network including 4 pc's, a wireless printer, android phone, Blackberry Playbook and a bridge to my bluray player. Three of the pcs and the phone are on the 2.4 ghz band.

So far I am pretty happy with the .25 beta. Sorry for others who are having difficulty.

Cheers
David
Message 48 of 63
Dissatisfied
Aspirant

somsubhro wrote:
Dear Forum Members,
Thanks to many of you who have actively worked with our engineering team to fix the issues quickly. We thank you for your cooperation and we will actively continue to monitor and reach out to you all on this forum.
-Som

Thanks, Som.

However, this message was posted 11/04. There are still the same disconnect issues with the beta, and no fixes since this time for those of us suffering from the 2.4GHz dropout issues, including myself and many other people who either bought or received your broken AP over the holidays.

I used to be a very faithful Netgear fan. My various switches of yours have been rock-solid and performed flawlessly. Now, a Wifi access point is clearly a more complicated device, but that does not excuse over 3 months of a lack of customer communication on what you are doing to sort this issue.

As it is, mine is a brick that I paid good money for, sitting on a shelf awaiting your updates. As I had in mind to spring for a ReadyNAS and a couple of other devices shortly, please know that I am rapidly reconsidering that option if support is going to be this abominable.

It has been 3.5 months since you posted this hopeful message. Please fix this issue, or at the barest minimum of customer service, provide updates to make it clear that you are still working on it.
Message 49 of 63
springtide9
Novice

WiFi still broken as per above post... any word on a fix?
Message 50 of 63
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements