× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Xfinity Modem and Access Point Problems

annodomini
Aspirant

New Xfinity Modem and Access Point Problems

Internet service from Xfinity for four years. Arris TG862G/CT modem in home office, cat5 length of the house to living room (30-40 feet) connected to an RC6220 AC1200 router. Wireless signal directly from the modem is weak at that end of the house. From the RC6220 a cabled connection to an XBox and a wireless connection to a TV, plus we use for additional connectivity as needed, Echo Dot, etc. Everything worked perfectly fine.

Xfinity contacted me to offer a free modem upgrade to take advantage of increased speed, which I took them up on. Arris TG1682G arrived. Hooked everything up, swapped cables over. Modem works fine with office computers directly wired and with office computers wirelessly connected. Full, fast internet. However, problem with RC6220. Even though it is cabled directly to the modem with exactly the same cable that worked the day before, there is now no internet at the RC6220. I have checked connections at both ends. I have powered everything down and back up in the proper order. The internet light at the top of the RC6220 does not light. I have logged into the moden at 10.0.0.1 and it does not see the RC6220. I have connected a laptop directly to the RC6220 with a cable and tried www.routerlogin.net and I just get a message saying "You may not be connected to your Router's WiFi network."

Not sure what else to do at this point. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Distance does matter a bit. What type of cable is it? Cat 5, cat5e, cat6, cat7?

And if moving the router to the modem makes it work, i'd be taking a hard look at that cable

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Its because you're in a double nat. You're running 2 routers on a network.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

the 2 easiest fixes is to either want to place the arris in passthrough/modem only mode or place the netgear in AP mode. 

Message 2 of 7
annodomini
Aspirant

Not that. Everything worked fine with the same equipment for four years. The RC6220 AC1200 was in wireless access mode.

Message 3 of 7
annodomini
Aspirant

Some more info. physically brought the exact same RC6220 to the modem and plugged it in with a three foot run of cable, and it acquired the internet without issue. is it possibly the length of the cable run? it's about 30-40 feet to the living room but I believe it is a 50 foot cable (to get around corners, doors, etc). as stated, same cables worked fine one minute, no internet when reconnected to the new modem. 

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

Distance does matter a bit. What type of cable is it? Cat 5, cat5e, cat6, cat7?

And if moving the router to the modem makes it work, i'd be taking a hard look at that cable

Message 5 of 7
annodomini
Aspirant

gotta be honest and say it was the cheapest stuff I could get my hands on. I looked at the cable itself and there is absolutely nothing printed on it. don't remember where I bought it. do know that it's either cat5 or cat5e

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Again, if it works with a different cable, I'd be looking at that cable as the culprit. Might have to move it closer for the time being. 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7