New device can not see network

Jan3andme
Aspirant

New device can not see network

I'm using a 6300v2 router firmware version V1.0.3.6  with comcast hi speed. I have 3 pc's two android phones one iphone, one kindle, and fire tv all connecting(not neccessarily all at once but sometimes do) with no problem through WPA2-PSK. Picked up another Kindle and it does not see the network SSID. I doublechecked that the ID was broadcasting. I then tried to use WPS both using the buttons as well as a pin. I did a factory reset of the router, same result. The kindle does see all of my neighbor's networks, in fact it picks up ones that my other devices are not seeing.(I recognize them as neighbors also). I am sure I am missing something, but my technical experience is admittedly limitted. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Re: New device can not see network

Do you have your 6300v2 set up to hide its SSID(s)?  If so, then the Kindle will have to join the network by manually entering the SSID.  I would recommend not hiding the SSID.  There's really no benefit.

Another possibility is that your router is only broadcasting a 5 GHz network but your Kindle may only have support for 2.4 GHz.  In this case, you would have to enable the 2.4 GHz network on your router.

Message 2 of 7
Jan3andme
Aspirant

Thank you for your response. I apologize for not being clear. When I saw that the network was not showing I entered it manually and made sure the both the 2.4g and 5g were selected to broadcast the SSID. I never thought that the ID's were not broadcasting to the contrary I checked to ensure they were not. The device that is not seeing the network is a second Kindle. The first one is seeing it just fine.

Message 3 of 7
Jan3andme
Aspirant

For what it's worth, I went to the wireless setting on my kindle that is already working on the network and had the device "forget" the network. It disappeared. When I refreshed the network was back in the list right at the top and I was able to log on normally.

Message 4 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Jan3andme,

That is a bit strange since all other wireless devices are able to detect the wireless network just fine. Have you tried changing the wireless channel of the router?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 7
Jan3andme
Aspirant

Thank you for your response. I did try to change the channel, but I thought there were some channels that were preferred, and I did not know them. To make it even more strange, my wife has since gotten an ipad mini for work, and it spotted the network right off. It is making me thing that there is a problem with the new kindle, but it is receiving other network broadcasts. It does show the network since I manually entered it, but notes that it is not in range(regardless of where I am in the house). I am wondering if it does not really "see it" rather it is on the list because I entered it manually.

Message 6 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Jan3andme,

It is quite difficult to recommend making any further changes to the router given the situation. Is the Kindle dual band (able to detect 2.4GHz and 5GHz)? I suggest trying all the channels for isolation purposes. If that does not provide any positive result, make sure that the Kindle's software is also up to date.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E