× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NightHawk R6400v2 has insanely slow Steam download speeds, but fine when connected to modem

TonyTorzido
Aspirant

NightHawk R6400v2 has insanely slow Steam download speeds, but fine when connected to modem

I have been having issues with this for 2 years now. I finally decided to try to fix it AGAIN, and no luck. I had tried different firmware version, called Xfinity to see if it was an issue on their end, turned different settings on/off... But no luck.

Steam downloads at 15MB/s when connected to the router but goes up to 70MB/s when its connected straight to my modem without the router. My internet speed is 600mbps from Xfinity. My PC does not have a wifi chip, but speeds on my iPhone and laptops are fine.

I tried the trouble shooting provided by Steam: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/46D2-B5B1-F0B9-B867

no luck either.

Any tips would help...

Edit: I have even purchased new CAT6 cables to make sure it's not the problem, and tried each them in different combinations with equal results. I also tried on my wife's PC and no luck. Similar issues happens with Epic launcher, but I was able to circumvent that by downloading an alternative launcher. I am confused. No idea what's going on.

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: NightHawk R6400v2 has insanely slow Steam download speeds, but fine when connected to modem

did you factory reset? After the reset, make sure to leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and qos all disabled. 

Make sure not to reinstall from a backup (in case those settings were ever enabled with it)

Message 2 of 8
TonyTorzido
Aspirant

Re: NightHawk R6400v2 has insanely slow Steam download speeds, but fine when connected to modem

I have factory reset it multiple times and have zero back ups. I have also tried disabling all the things you listed in different combinations. No luck.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

what device are you testing on? 

Does any other device have issues?

Message 4 of 8
TonyTorzido
Aspirant

I have tested this on my PC and my wife's PC. Only devices I use Steam on. Downloads from most other websites or apps are way faster.

Wifi works perfectly fine.

Message 5 of 8
wcalifas
Prodigy

If you've tried several firmwares from Netgear and are ready to give up on that router you could always try third party firmware from DD-WRT. I see on the website it is supported but you have to read the instructions to upload the firmware to dd-wrt and download the files there on their website. It's free by the way.

Message 6 of 8

@TonyTorzido wrote:

I have tested this on my PC and my wife's PC. Only devices I use Steam on. Downloads from most other websites or apps are way faster.

Wifi works perfectly fine.

So, the PC were wired?

Steam downloads at 15MB/s when connected to the router but goes up to 70MB/s when its connected straight to my modem without the router. My internet speed is 600mbps from Xfinity.

What is that modem?

Did you include this in your research:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – steam

Lots of traffic.

Message 7 of 8
TonyTorzido
Aspirant

Yes, this is all wired. I have tried different wires all CAT6 or higher. 

No luck still. I might just have to buy a cheaper router from another brand.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7