× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk 2300 can't connect to guest network

john1966
Guide

Nighthawk 2300 can't connect to guest network

Today both me and my guest are no longer able to log into the guest network. 

1) Only on the 2.4 GH .. the 5GH seems to work for log in. 

2) Nighthawk 2300 

3) Several devices can't log onto 2.4 guest network 

4) Sometimes it will allow sign in to 2.4 after clicking "try again" 

5) The message says it "requires a WPA2 passward" which it is set up for. 

6) The fiirware says its up to date.

7) I tried changing the channel but this also didn't work.  

I called customer srevcice but the only option they gave me was paying for tech support. The router is still under warranty and suddenly the guest network no longer works. I hope someone can help. This should be a warranty issue and Netgear should honor their waranty. Its the first problem I've had with the router. Up until now it has all worked perfectly and I haven't changed anything. 

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

1. The normal 2.4ghz and 5ghz works?

2. have you tried a simple factory reset and reinstall? 

Message 2 of 15
john1966
Guide

Thank you for the reply and suggestion. 

The 2.4 and 5.0 GH works for the main non guest network. I haven't done a factory reset and reinstall. Would I need add all the devices again and enter the passcode? If so I would need to wait until tomorrow when I don't have a guest so I can access some of the devices like the guest TV which is on the non guest network. Anything else I could try? 

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

You can always try a simple reboot. 

If you reset and use the same ssid/password for setup, devices should just auto-reconnect. *should*

I replace/reset routers frequently and haven't had to re-add a device in years. I simply use the same ssid/password

Message 4 of 15
john1966
Guide

Wanted to add that the main network was also having trouble signing iin with my iphone. I run a B&B and its essential for guest to not have any wifi problems. I try and factory reset it all tomorrow, but the complete lack of customer support for something under warranty is very disapointing. I'm thinking I'll proably just need to get a diffrent routher that honor's the warranty. The follow up email I got said to click a linik to report that the issue wasn't resolved yet but that also didn't work. 

Appologies for the frustration. Any adivice is appreciated. I just need it to work and can't have any issues with signing in. 

BTW I even tried removing the password so no password was required but still wouldn't sign in. And now main network is also acting up. 

Message 5 of 15
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the router? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

In terms of support, sadly many companies are moving to/moved to the model of free support for 90 days. You still have a hardware warranty for hardware failures. But most consumer networking gear has lower margins and so the actual support is only for when your first purchase it to get it running. Help with settings/setup past that 90 days costs money because they can't afford to be an IT department for consumers. Its also why you find many consumer networking companies have forums for free help. 

Message 6 of 15
john1966
Guide

I've tried a simple reboot and waited 5 minutes with both roter and modem unplugged. I followed the reboot instructions but same problem. 

If I do factory reset I suppose the devices would remember the same passwords but will try it tomorrow wihen its empty. If that doesn't work, I'll simply have to cut my looses. 

Message 7 of 15
john1966
Guide

The firmware is V1.3.1.64_10.1.36

The modem is a Arris SB8200 I beleve, one of their faster ones but that doesnt' seem to be the issue. 

The only reason I think this is a defective product is that only the 2.4 GHZ on the guest network is not working as it should. So it seems like its a software bug on their end. 

Once again appreciate the suggestoins. Frustrating to get a message from my guest that wifi wasn't working. That's very important for gueet so will have to buy anoher new one if I can't get it working like it has been for the past 8 months. 

Message 8 of 15
plemans
Guru

You're about 3 versions behind on firmware for that router. 

Might be worth updating the firmware, doing a factory reset, and then reinstalling. 

The SB8200 is a solid device. 

Message 9 of 15
john1966
Guide

Thanks! I followed the instructions for firmware update. 

1) Clicked on the rotuter image in the app, and at the bottom clicked to check if there was a firmware update. I clicked and waited and it said it was running the latest firmware. 

Any o\ther suggestions on how to update the firmware? I'll try the factory reset tomorrow. 

Message 10 of 15
john1966
Guide

I'm also signed into the web address with the Basic and Advanced options if that helps. 

Appreciate the suggestoins. As soon as guest check out tomorrow I'll try and reset. Just unclear why firmware isn't up to date. I noticed it was set to auto firmwere update in the advanced section. 

Message 11 of 15
antinode
Guru

> [...] I followed the instructions for firmware update.

You say that as if there were exactly one set of "the instructions".

> [...] it said it was running the latest firmware.

Trust no one, I always say.

To see another opinion of what's current/available:

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.  (In the User Manual, look for "firmware", and,
especially, for a topic like "Manually Upload Firmware to the Router".)
When that fails because of a deficient User Manual, try:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960

Message 12 of 15
john1966
Guide

I updated the firmware to latest version and did a factory reset. Its still having the same poroblem signing into guest network.

I happened to notice it was working before enabling the "Smart Connect" that lets the router select either 2.4G or 5G network for each device. After I turned it on I noticed the guest network was having same connection issues wihen signing in. 

I only had just enough time to do this before next guest checks in. But looks like Netgear simply isn't keeping its product updated. 

Hopefully the main network won't have any sign in issues as I'm having my guest use that on because the guest network is unrelaiable. 

Thanks for the help. Any more suggestions? 

Message 13 of 15
plemans
Guru

Try disabling smart connect. 

Message 14 of 15
john1966
Guide

Wow technittion happened to stop by for local internet outage and suggested changing channles for 2.4 GHZ to channel 6 and not auto. That seems to have worked. However after updating firmware some of the devices aren't showin up in the decices list. Not sure it the smart lock is connected or not. This was never an issue before and always was connected and reconnected on its own. Not sure if its just connected or not. Wait and see. Not confidence inspiring. 

I got anohter email from Netgear that my case hasn't been closed yet so will call them back as email link ddin't work. All in all, I'm cosidering getting a new and differnt router. Everyone says the Euro is the way to go. Amizon must be able to keep it updated. 

Aslo the signal strengh to the decvices is only showing one bar for each device on the connected list, although the devices themselves are showiong full strength. 

Looks like Netgear isn't keeping this updated on their end. I bought it 8 months ago off the shelf at Best Buy. 

Appreciate the help. Feel free to add any aditioanl suggestoins. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7