× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R6080 blinking green power light

mnmacd
Guide

Nighthawk R6080 blinking green power light

Okay so here's the issue unit is out of warrnaty 1 week ago,,  Now it won't work....  I tried to do an update on the router using the Nighthawk app.  Now the power light just blinks green, none of the other status lights come on....  YEs everyhting has been tried, and I do not want to pay 40 bucks for support to tell me to try everything I already did...   I was hoping maybe one of you all had a similar issue and possibly got your router up and running again... 

Message 1 of 21
plemans
Guru

You can try recoving it with tftp or nmrpflash.
are you on windows? if so, follow this guide
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
just make sure you enable tftp
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through using a tftp client. Use the built in one for windows 10 though. the video is more of an example of how its done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 2 of 21
mnmacd
Guide

not very tech saavy, how do I enable tpft?

Message 3 of 21
plemans
Guru

the link walks you through how to that I listed under "make sure to enable tftp"

Message 4 of 21
mnmacd
Guide

Thank you .   Sorry I asked before I read the link description....      What exactly will this do, will it compromise my in any way...   It's new so I don't want to bust it....   

Message 5 of 21
plemans
Guru

@mnmacd wrote:

Thank you .   Sorry I asked before I read the link description....      What exactly will this do, will it compromise my in any way---compromise what? ...   It's new so I don't want to bust it....----from the sound of it, its already broke and you're out of warranty. On the forums, we strongly discourage updating via the app and via wireless. Its supposed to be safe but whenever we see corrupt firmware issues, its when people updated that route. 

Message 6 of 21
mnmacd
Guide

I meant compromise my pc...  Yeah in hindsight, I should've asked you all 1st...  I do not think the flash approach will work..   Sounds a bit beyond my expertise...

Message 7 of 21
plemans
Guru

its fairly easy to do and there's a video that walks you through how to do it. 

Its worth a shot if the device is already broke. Not like you can break it more. 

Its like I tell people when teaching CPR, they're already dead if you're needing cpr, anything you do can only make it better. 

It won't compromise your pc. 

Message 8 of 21
mnmacd
Guide

WOuld I need to do both of these steps ?  Or can I try one, see if it works, then the other?

Message 9 of 21
plemans
Guru

Most certainly. I'd try the tftp first. If it doesn't work, then I'd try the nmrpflash. 

Message 10 of 21
mnmacd
Guide

after work tommorow I'll gibe her a whirl..   I'll let you know if I need further assistance...   

Message 11 of 21
plemans
Guru

good luck! tftp can be sensitive to timings so if it doesn't work the first time, try a couple more times 🙂

Message 12 of 21
mnmacd
Guide

WOuldn't work if it was easy....

Message 13 of 21
mnmacd
Guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw   SO got a chance to watch this.. I have a question before I do this though...  DO I have to do the ssteps listed here 1st?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10 

Still not comfortable doing the nmrp flash....

Message 14 of 21
plemans
Guru

Yes. Make sure tftp is enabled before following the guide. 

You don't have to use nmrpflash. Its just a 2nd option if tftp doesn't work. 

I think I've used nmrpflash 2-3x but thats only been in cases where tftp didn't work. 

Message 15 of 21
mnmacd
Guide

Another silly question, again not at all tech savvy.  WIll my router need to be plugged in during the enabling  of of TFTP? , or after.....

Message 16 of 21
mnmacd
Guide

Also when I go to netgear firmware download page...  I get no chk, file only img. and html. I use 7zip to extract if that matters.unknown_2021.11.19-16.17.pngunknown_2021.11.19-16.22.png

Message 17 of 21

@mnmacd wrote:

Another silly question, again not at all tech savvy.  WIll my router need to be plugged in during the enabling  of of TFTP? , or after.....

Clearly you don't need a connection to the Internet because the router is bust and can't provide it.

You do need a connection between the PC and the router. That is how TFTP talks to the router,

Just follow these instructions.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Note the bit about unzipping the firmware file you download before you try TFTP.

Message 18 of 21
mnmacd
Guide

MIchaelkenward:  In one statement you said I do and I don't need the router on this is a contradiction, so which is it .  Please don't be rude...

Message 19 of 21
plemans
Guru

Use the .img file. It can either be a .chk or .img file for firmware.

Message 20 of 21

@mnmacd wrote:
In one statement you said I do and I don't need the router on this is a contradiction, so which is it . 

You asked

"WIll my router need to be plugged in..."

Plugged into what? Network? Mains? Modem? Internet?

I said you don't need a connection to the Internet. But you do need a connection to the router.

I said that because people have been confused in the past.

@mnmacd wrote:

Please don't be rude...

I could say the same, or something even more provocative.

These things need to be done properly That means asking meaningful questions and following the answers.

Message 21 of 21
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7