× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk router worth it? I will get a modem too

khabkean
Follower

Nighthawk router worth it? I will get a modem too

Currently in the market for used modem and routers. I am thinking about getting a night hawk router ac1900 used for cheap under 50 if I can. Then I will probably need a modem too. Now I am pretty ignorant to modem and routers but want something that is good since I am a gamer and plan to use this for a long time. Does it matter what modem and router I buy or can it all be used regardless of the internet providing company?

I will be moving into a new place so need internet.

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk router worth it? I will get a modem too

If you're a gamer, I wouldn't be using last generations devices. 

You didn't put what router you're talking about because AC1900 is a speed, not a model but if you're referring to the R7000, its a 9 year old device. It was initially released in 2013. If you're needing better speeds, try buying something from the current generation of AX devices. 

You can find refurbished or used AX routers now that are pretty reasonable and give you a little better starting point. Simply search amazon for netgear "renewed"

Modem is important to your ISP as it needs to be compatible with both their service and the speed tier you plan on buying. So check with your ISP before buying a modem for compatible devices. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7