× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk x8 R8300 2.4gHz wifi doesn't have a valid ip configuration error; 5gHz wifi connection ok

gburn
Aspirant

Nighthawk x8 R8300 2.4gHz wifi doesn't have a valid ip configuration error; 5gHz wifi connection ok

Hi,

I bought a Nighthawk x8 AC5000 wifi router (R8300) back in May 2017 and for the past couple weeks my 2gHz band has been giving a "wifi doesn't have valid ip configuration" error. All 5gHz bands are working fine.

I have tried to reset the modem and router, reset my SSID and passwords, reset the router back to factory defaults and have no clue what to do next to fix this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Model/Hardware Version: R8300

Firmware Version: V1.0.2.106

GUI Language Version: V1.0.2.106_2.1.46.1

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: Nighthawk x8 R8300 2.4gHz wifi doesn't have a valid ip configuration error; 5gHz wifi connection

OK. Laptop errors are often down to Windows.Indeed, a Google search shows that the error you see

@gburn wrote:
When I run the window's troubleshooter, it produces the "wifi doesn't have a valid ip configuration" error.

is pretty common, with various suggestions.

Wifi doesn't have a valid IP configuration - Microsoft Community

But you say that other devices can't connect. I assume that these other wifi clients can see the 5GHz SSID.

You seem to have tried most things. But as this is a router, I would try restarting the whole network according to the rules.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Your router is still in warrant – it runs for at least a year –  so I'd start going down that road.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies

Re: Nighthawk x8 R8300 2.4gHz wifi doesn't have a valid ip configuration error; 5gHz wifi connection

@gburn wrote:
....for the past couple weeks my 2gHz band has been giving a "wifi doesn't have valid ip configuration" error.

What throws up this error?

Message 2 of 6
gburn
Aspirant

My laptop (Windows10). When I connect to the WiFi it indicates that I have no Internet connection. When I run the window's troubleshooter, it produces the "wifi doesn't have a valid ip configuration" error.
None of my devices (any phone or laptop) can connect to the 2.4gHz band; however, they can connect to 5gHz just fine.
I have one laptop, used by my kids, that can only see the 2.4gHz wifi and not the 5gHz one; therefore they cannot get on the Internet wirelessly. Connecting this laptop via ethernet works fine.
I also allow guests to connect to the 2.4gHz and reserve my 5gHz for my wife and I personal devices and now have to allow them to connect to the 5gHz band.
I paid a lot of money for this router and it was working great up to about 2 weeks ago.
Message 3 of 6

OK. Laptop errors are often down to Windows.Indeed, a Google search shows that the error you see

@gburn wrote:
When I run the window's troubleshooter, it produces the "wifi doesn't have a valid ip configuration" error.

is pretty common, with various suggestions.

Wifi doesn't have a valid IP configuration - Microsoft Community

But you say that other devices can't connect. I assume that these other wifi clients can see the 5GHz SSID.

You seem to have tried most things. But as this is a router, I would try restarting the whole network according to the rules.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Your router is still in warrant – it runs for at least a year –  so I'd start going down that road.

Message 4 of 6
gburn
Aspirant

Thanks Michael!

The restarting of the network fixed my issue.

Really appreciate the help on this.

Regards,

Gregory

Message 5 of 6

Glad that worked. It doesn't always, but it never hurts to try.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7