Highlighted

Nightmare with port forwarding

I'm looking for help with port forwarding for a Foscam IP camera. I've watched a number of youtube videos and as far as I can tell I have everything set up correctly on my WNDR4500v2 but still no joy. I can access the camera fine using the internal ip address but not the public address. In the router I've forced the camera to being on a specific internal IP, and I've set up the incoming port on the public IP to point to that internal IP. When I put the public IP and the port that has the forwarding (http://nn.nnn.nnn.nn:nnnn) in my browser I get back this page can't be displayed. My ISP says they're not blocking any ports. Any help would be much appreciated, I've already spent 3 nights trying to get this thing working.

Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nightmare with port forwarding

If you are testing the Public IP access from within your own LAN then the router would need to support Loopback, which many Netgear home grade routers do not. You would need to use external access to that port e.g. a 4G smartphone connection to see if the forwarding is working.
Highlighted

Thanks for the suggestion but I've tried it on my phone too and no joy.
Message 3 of 4
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OK, but just to be sure, did you make sure the phone wasn’t using its WiFi connection?

What kind of modem do you have, manufacturer and model number? Many DSL modems, and some cable modems, are also routers which can mean that port forwarding will fail.
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements