× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No Wi-fi Light

dssilic
Aspirant

No Wi-fi Light

I have set up multiple wi-fi networks but the EX6500 extender (connected to the wi-fi network) is not recognized by devices.  I have noticed that the blue wi-fi light on the front of the router is not on. I don't know what else to do.  Netgear support was useless (when they responded at all).  Ant ideas?

Model: D6200|Dual Band 11ac ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: No Wi-fi Light

Somehow a difficult starting point to assist in a community.

@dssilic wrote:

I have set up multiple wi-fi networks but the EX6500 extender (connected to the wi-fi network) is not recognized by devices. 

To my knowledge, there is no EX6500 model. Check your extender product label please.

@dssilic wrote:

I have noticed that the blue wi-fi light on the front of the router is not on.

The D6200 User Manual says on p.137

===

Wireless LED Is Off
If the Wireless LED stays off, check to see if the WiFi On/Off button on the WiFi DSL modem
router has been pressed. This button turns the wireless radios in the WiFi DSL modem router
on and off. The Wireless LEDs are lit when the wireless radio is turned on.

===

With the router WiFi off, it's a little bit hard to understand on how you "set up multiple wi-fi networks" (a little bit more details would be required here), and on how the unknown extender was configured.

Needless to say, with the router WiFi off there is not much an extender can do - the router wireless connection is key to connect the wireless client to the network and the Internet, the extender requires the primary router wireless, it's DHCP server, to do anything useful.

Message 2 of 7
dssilic
Aspirant

I don't understand it myself.  I have pressed the wifi button on the front of the router (1) with the router and computer on and connected; (2) with the router on and the comtuer off and connected; and (3) with the router on and the computer off and disconnected.  Nothing turns the wi-fi light on.

When I originally set up the router I did not have a wifi card in my computer (Asus Z370-A, Windows 7, Intel Ethernet Connection 2 I219-V).  The range extender (Netgear EX5000) that I just purchased connected by WPA button to the router (It created the two network extentions.) but doesn't allow anything to recognize either one of them.

Recently I purchased an Obit Dual Band Wifi card thinking that it might help.  Same issues.  I still don't have a blue light and nothing will use the range extender networks.

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@dssilic wrote:

I don't understand it myself.  I have pressed the wifi button on the front of the router (1) with the router and computer on and connected; (2) with the router on and the comtuer off and connected; and (3) with the router on and the computer off and disconnected.  Nothing turns the wi-fi light on.

Completely lost.

The D6200 has two buttons, located on the right side. The upper one is the Wi-Fi button (on/off), the lower one is the WPS one - none on the front.

It does not matter if there is a device connected or not...WiFi on/off works locally.

@dssilic wrote:

When I originally set up the router I did not have a wifi card in my computer (Asus Z370-A, Windows 7, Intel Ethernet Connection 2 I219-V). 

With the WiFi off (so WiFi LED off) on the router, there is no other easy way but connect using a network cable to the router. Appears you have everthing required. Connect the Ethernet to the router, head to http://routerlogin.net or http://192.168.0.1 login using admin (if a username is required - most likely not) and the router password you set during the installation.

Before working with the extender, the router wireless must be up and running. 

@dssilic wrote:

.Recently I purchased an Obit Dual Band Wifi card thinking that it might help.  Same issues.  I still don't have a blue light and nothing will use the range extender networks.

Still unclear which device WiFi blue light you are talking about.

• Router WiFi LED (on/off)?
  • EX5000 Router or Device LED (which are both green)?

Message 4 of 7
dssilic
Aspirant

I obviously misspoke about the location of the wifi button.  It is on the side.  The blue light is on the front.

The blue light that I am trying to get lit is on the router.  I have not been able to do so.

The EX5000 extender has four green lights, all of which are solid green.

I am able to get into the "routerlogin.net", but it doesn't do any good (or I don't know how to use it to correct my problem). 

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Reads like you are able to login to your router - great! Can you go the wireless configuration on both Basic and Advanced and provide some screenshots?

Message 6 of 7
dssilic
Aspirant

I have made screenshots, but I can't figure out how to attach them to this reply.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7