× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Not connecting to 5GHz ?

ms4burton
Tutor

Not connecting to 5GHz ?

I have a Netgear R6250 and unable to connect to 5GHz.  My TV recognizes both 5GHz and 1.4GHz, but the 5GHz will not connect.  My PC is not even showing the 5GHz in my internet connection box.  Called support. They had me rename the 2 router settings  as they were in still the default names. This did not solve my issue. Any help sincerely appreciated.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
ms4burton
Tutor

Re: Not connecting to 5GHz ?

Elaine,  After much reading late last night on Internet, I saw where an older PC, such as mine, might not pick up the 5GHz.  I knew it was working as my iPhone picked it up. Net gear is in next room, only about 12feet away and ran great on previous 'old' Netgear. On Internet, someone said they could only run one device on 5GHz. Per support advice, I had set different names for speeds but same password.  I went back and gave them different passwords and also took my phone off the 5MGz so only TV on it--and it worked Smiling face with smiling eyes.  Not sure what resolved issue. I want you to know that I really appreciate your message,  it was  a nice surprise!   The prompt message says a lot about staff and company!  This makes my husband and I feel better about going with Netgear again. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @ms4burton,

Welcome to the community!

It's possible that the computer is only running a single band. The computer can only read 2.4Ghz signal.

For the TV, how far is it from the router? It might be possible that the reason why it's not connecting is the distance. Try to relocate the router and see if that would help. Are there any other devices that can connect to the 5Ghz signal? One thing you could try is to take the router near the TV (it's ok that the router will not be connected to the modem) then connect to the wireless signal. If it connects, then it will be a distance problem.

Let us know what happens.

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
ms4burton
Tutor

Elaine,  After much reading late last night on Internet, I saw where an older PC, such as mine, might not pick up the 5GHz.  I knew it was working as my iPhone picked it up. Net gear is in next room, only about 12feet away and ran great on previous 'old' Netgear. On Internet, someone said they could only run one device on 5GHz. Per support advice, I had set different names for speeds but same password.  I went back and gave them different passwords and also took my phone off the 5MGz so only TV on it--and it worked Smiling face with smiling eyes.  Not sure what resolved issue. I want you to know that I really appreciate your message,  it was  a nice surprise!   The prompt message says a lot about staff and company!  This makes my husband and I feel better about going with Netgear again. Thank you.
Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ms4burton Thank you for the update and glad to hear that it's all up and running.

Feel free to visit the community to get and give help to others.

Have a great day!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7